Trusted Contributor

OK, I just got an e-mail with discussion questions for this week's TV/Film class, I'm taking.

We're still on the Rayna/Deacon storyline, more specifically, the Baby Daddy issue.

"Last week, we found out that Teddy is Not Maddie's Father and has always known that; however, we did Not learn, who the Father Is. "

(a) Do you think that Deacon is Maddie's Father?

(b) Do you think he knows; perhaps, having long ago decided to let his daughter be raised in a more traditional and stable home, than he could have provided?

(c) If Deacon is the Father and does not know, are there circumstances, that would justify, Rayna having kept the secret for so long?

(d) If Deacon is not the Father, who?

(e) For Rayna, is staying in a marriage that seems relatively stable and affectionate, if devoid of romantic love, for the sake of her Daughter's, a good choice, or is she cheating herself, Teddy, and Deacon, the man that she really loves, of chances to find true happiness. For instance, doesn't Teddy deserve to be in a relationship with a woman, who is truly invested in him? And what about when the girls grow up and have their own lives; what happens to the marriage?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?

I was sure that Deacon is the Daddy, now, I'm somewhat less sure. I think he is, but?? However, if not Deacon, who, is indeed a good question, unless Rayna just had a brief fling? But that seems out of character, as they're portraying her now.

I can't really imagine Deacon knowing and not having any involvement is Maddie's life, never even acting like he's all that interested. I can imagine him having decided that if Rayna was married and stable, allowing them to raise the child, without him really interferring, but, at some point, would he have wanted to know his daughter, at least be closer to her than he is? Especially since, it would be his child with Rayna. Maybe, knowing his child is in Nashville, with Rayna, could be part of his reason for staying there and staying close to Rayna all these years, but, I just don't think so. If he is the Daddy, I don't think he knows.

Justification for not telling him all these years, if he is the Daddy. I'm guessing we're going to find out more, about how dark his earlier years were, and that may play as justification. But, he seems to have done so well for so long; I would definitely think he deserves to know.

No, I don't think staying in a loveless marriage, and having a long emotional, if not physical relationship, with another man, for the "sake of the kids", is a good choice. Family break up's are hard, but, sometimes, they are for the best. I sure wouldn't want to learn that my parent's had sacrificed a life they longed for, on my behalf.