Honored Contributor

Growing up I had a nickname but once I went to live with my sister, I was never called it again.  I called my late husband by his last name and eventually even his mother called him by his last name.

Honored Contributor

It started when I got my first real job.  Another lady and I had similar names and it caused confusion.  She said since she was older, I had to change.  The boss renamed me something very different.  The people I worked with those ten years call me that name.  As time went on, new people started and called me my real name.  It's been 33 years and there are still people around from the early years and they call me the other name.  I don't explain it to those that don't know.  LOL

Honored Contributor

When my mother and stepfather were alive, several nicknames - one I even had on my license plate for several years.

Now, just regular common shortened version of my name. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My family only goes by their given name

Respected Contributor

Nickname which is subtle variation of given name plus maiden name, even though we've been married for 42 years.

Honored Contributor

Nickname.

Never had a "pet" name.  My real name is for business purposes only.  In fact, since I retired I use my nickname for business purposes. 

It's rare I use my real name now.   In fact I can't remember the last time I did other than doing my taxes.

FWIW, my real name is odd, never liked it & often mispronounced.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My given name is Bernadette,  Folks call me Bernie.  My husband called me Happiness.  Sometimes folks call me Bern if they are in a hurry.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I have been called by many different names in various stages of my life.

Some call me by my first name.  

Some by both my first and middle names.  

Some by the initials of my first and middle names (my favorite name outside of my family).

One cousin calls me a version of my first name.

My family calls me the word for aunt used in another country (my very favorite thing to be called).   

I never liked my name and still don't.

Valued Contributor

My mom wanted to give me one name, (pretty name) my dad another....My mom won, so my dad just called me by his name anyway...!

When my dad died, I remember asking my aunt, who would call me by his name?  Next week I received a note from my aunt, it began by calling me by my dad's name-It stuck...

Mostly for me as well,  just legal documentation now with my given name.

Respected Contributor

Between my father, my siblings, and my school mates, I had lots of nicknames growing up.  Thankfully nothing awful and cruel lol  As an adult it's just my first name, sometimes shortened to just the first syllable.