Contributor

Re: N.J. Woman Raises Money for Homeless Man Who Gave Her His Last $20

According to a TV news report, she DID have a cell phone which she used to call her boyfriend. By the time he arrived, the homeless man had already helped her out. The couple returned and gave him some stuff, such as food and warm clothes. He, in turn, would share some of his stuff with other homeless people. It was his generosity that inspired the couple to set up the Go Fund Me account to help him out.

The news report also had pictures of the homeless man from several years ago. Someone that knew him said he used to work as a medic several years ago and that he had a heart of gold, but he fell on hard times financially and may have had addiction issues.

The report also stated that he had been trying to get a job and his life back together, but without a home it was difficult to get a job ( no address, shower facilities, etc). The couple had hoped to get enough for first and last months rent, a car and enough money to help him get back on his feet and I think everyone was surprised by how much money was raised.

Although I understand everyone's skepticism due to so many people taking advantage of other people's generosity and committing fraud, I really hope this story is legit and that it has a happy ending for everyone involved.