Esteemed Contributor

Re: N.J. Woman Raises Money for Homeless Man Who Gave Her His Last $20

@Noel7 wrote:

Daisy, the details were given, the article says it all.  She thought she had enough gas in the car.  She DID NOT get out of the car.

According to the article, she had said that the guy had told her to get back in the car and lock the doors.

Honored Contributor

Now it's at $266,000! I hope others will be helped. If it's not legitimate, the holidays are the perfect time to start a g0fundpage.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Daisy, the details were given, the article says it all.  She thought she had enough gas in the car.  She DID NOT get out of the car.

According to the article, she had said that the guy had told her to get back in the car and lock the doors.

@Daisy Sunflower

Right, I reread it and corrected my mistake, for which I apologize. 

Esteemed Contributor

I find the amount of money donated to one person to be almost obscene. I can only shake my head in disbelief when I read this story.  There  are so many truly needy people and families with small children desperately in need of help and yet these needs are not met but people can donate a quarter of a million dollars to one individual who did a nice thing.  just absurd.  Let us hope that this does not turn out like the story from a few years ago about the mother who left her small children in a car while she went for a job interview.  The Go Fund me page that was set up,for her raised 6 figures and within a couple of years it was gone.  squandered mostly on her leech boyfriend.  I think her kids are now in DCS custody.  people who tried to help her manage her life and mentor her left in disgust because she refused to take anyone’s advice.

Honored Contributor

People can't assume that just because Go Fund Me is involved as the method of donation collection, that any story or recipient is legit. 

People would do much better to help directly, like these two people did in the initial interactions (should the be true), and give money to legitimate and proven charities, rather than fall for these kinds of things that may or may not be true, and even if true, may involve people that aren't equipped to handle what is given to them, properly for their good or their future. 

Honored Contributor

I do hope it all checks out.  I've briefly scanned online to see if any investigative journalism is expressing skepticism about any aspects of the story.  So, far, have not seen any, but that could change.

Stories that involve generosity and altruism on every side are so precious, and I sure hope this one stands scrutiny.

Trusted Contributor

I do understand the skepticism. but let's not let it overshadow the basic message of goodwill, kindness, and generosity.  The current climate of the nation seems to be about fear, hatred, and division.  It is depressing and feeds on itself until we feel hopeless.  Even though the division of the money may not be fair to others that are experiencing hard times, at least it is an uplifting and positive message.  This Good Samaritan veteran sounds like someone who would probably share his good fortune anyway.  Glass half full.Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

The media is just running with the story as is, but i read online that Johnny doesnt list any military experience at all on his linkedin account. And its true if you google it and check, he lists absolutely nothing about any military service, i have a son who served and he and other vets are SO proud of that. I literally shook my head when i saw that a supposed vet would omit that. He also had a profile picture on his linkedin account that he deleted that had him and a woman who looks like Kate on it. Im not joking either!

Google has that image cached though, google search this - "johnny bobbitt jr. linkedin" without the quotes, and then go to the images tab and his picture is the second one there. Also check his linkedin account. It looks VERY fishy, and we should all expect the news to at least have checked this themselves and ask Johnny why his own resume doesnt even list that he served in the army...It looks like he made that up to get more money [i hope im wrong].

This is my first post on the forum btw, i have lurked but i felt like i had to chime in here with some info since nobody else did!

Trusted Contributor

As a side note, does anyone remember the story where the a poorer young boy.... was cutting lawns and walking long distances and a lady in the "better" neighborhood started a go fund for the boy.  But when it got around 200K she wanted to give the boy the money as she deemed appropriate.  He had to get the media and a Lawyer to get it resolved.  

I am Leary of all these Stories!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

What's  "Jonny's" real name?