Honored Contributor

N 95 Masks and other masks with Valves

I just got an e mail from the practice that I go to,   in addition to other things it says if you are using an N95 mask you need to put a paper mask over it.

I recently read that masks with valves do not block you from expelling air

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: N 95 Masks and other masks with Valves

@I am still oxox wrote:

I just got an e mail from the practice that I go to,   in addition to other things it says if you are using an N95 mask you need to put a paper mask over it.

I recently read that masks with valves do not block you from expelling air

@I am still oxox 

The paper mask helps keep the valve on the N95 from getting clogged with larger particles you inhale.  

As the N95 s are reusable after sterilization, it makes sense to protect the valve which can’t be cleaned out.  Also good as replacement N95s are still HARD to find.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I think there are different N95s for different purposes.  For example, you may want one because the street pollution is so bad.  You don't have to be concerned about anybody else, you're just trying to make it better for your lungs.  In this case, an N95 with a valve is ideal, because it allows you to breathe a bit easier, and nobody cares what you're exhaling.

Some medical N95s have filtered valves, but you really need training to wear those responsiby, IMO.

It's good practice to consiider a valved mask as no mask on the other person and social distance accordingly.

Honored Contributor

I did not know this. This was really educational. Thank you everybody!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Our N95 masks don't have the valve.  They are identical to the other N95s, minus a vent (exhalation valve).