Valued Contributor

Re: Mystery going on at the Dominican Republic

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

She could have been knocked unconscious, and raped while unconscious, which would explain any "holes" in her story.

She may not have been aware that she had been raped until well after the fact.

And she just might not want to tell the public that she was raped.

That's her right to not share every single gory detail of her attack with the general public.

We do not need to know the minute-by-minute details of everything that happened to her.

The police need to know that.

The doctors need to know that.

Her family need to know that.

We, the general public?

Sorry, but we don't need to know every single minute detail of what happened to her.

@Anonymous032819  Well, I disagree. I think it’s important to know if she was raped, and it’s important to know if she had been drinking. I think the way this story is being told is specifically being told to scare people away from traveling. We are being fed a narrative that goes something like “innocent mom gets attacked, kidnapped and beaten for no apparent reason while going for a stroll on vacation.” That’s scary. That makes people fear going anywhere on vacation. What if the narrative was more like “drunk tourist walking alone in the middle of the night gets raped.” That doesn’t have the same effect.

Of course, she didn’t deserve what happened to her, but we know that alcohol lowers your inhibitions and causes bad choices. I wouldn’t walk around my back yard alone in the middle of the night, and she shouldn’t have been walking around a foreign country known for a high volume of crime in the middle of the night, especially if she had been drinking and her defenses were down.

Knowing if she was raped could reveal the motivation of the attacker. Nothing is scarier than a monster who acts without a motive. The thought that there is someone lurking in the bushes who may attack anyone at any time for no reason is terrifying. It is not much more comforting to know that there is a rapist out there, but it is one answered question in the investigation. Having the “why” answered iwould solve a small part of the mystery behind the attack. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've spent a lot of vacation time over the years at many of these island resorts. The islands and their people are poor, and their law enforcement (?) and hospitals are not always first class.

There are two groups of people on this thread - those who love traveling to these island destinations and those who don't (maybe no longer want to, like me). If you choose to go, be aware that there are risks, and if there is a medical emergency or problem, you are unlikely to get the same care you would receive here in the U.S. Also be aware of issues if you leave your resort or go anywhere by yourself.

Some of us would rather just stay here in the U.S.....nothing wrong with that. Yes, we have crime in our country, but I'm a citizen here, and I have rights as well as access to the best medical care. I know where to travel in this country and I feel safe. If you want to travel to some poor island with beautiful resorts, go for it. Not all of us are crazy because we don't want to do that.

Edited: There's a third element of us here, and I'm sure it includes all of us. We just want to know what happened at this resort, and how these people died. It's just so sad.

Honored Contributor

It would  have the same affect on me. If I am going to a resort I want to know I am safe, period

SHe wasn't ,and I am not sure she would have been any safer if she was in her room, considering the attacker wore the resort's uniform.

Resorts should protect all of their guests even the tipsy ones. After all they sold them the alcohol , and they should make sure all guests are not raped and beaten regardless of their sobriety

I give their security a minus zero..It took them 8 hrs to find her, and they refused to search for her several times

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes there is no answer to "why".

You seemed convinced that she was falling down drunk, and blowing a 0.25

Unless you were with her, you can not know for an absolute fact that she has so much as one sip of a single drink.

And it is those who have a love for salacious details who hunger to know if she was raped.

If this most unfortunate event happened to you where you were raped while on vacation, regardless whether it happened in day time or night, you were drunk off your rocker, or stone cold sober as a church mouse, would you want the world to know every minute detail  of your attack, including if you were raped?

Think about it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I hope you are right, but .you need to remember where this happened. I don't put much faith in their forensic  capabilities

For all we know it could have been someone in the police force that did this

They treated her shamefully . I put no faith in anything from this bunch @MaryLamb

They probably destroyed any evidence of DNA and mostly likely never even tested for any.  Sounds like they blamed her for not giving them better identification details!  I couldn't stop talking about this to my husband last night...this lady's beaten image is burned in my mind.  I think of how many times I left a hotel room to get ice or a snack...never thinking someone inside the hotel would attack me/beat me nearly to death....she should be able to sue that hotel/resort.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It would  have the same affect on me. If I am going to a resort I want to know I am safe, period

SHe wasn't ,and I am not sure she would have been any safer if she was in her room, considering the attacker wore the resort's uniform.

Resorts should protect all of their guests even the tipsy ones. After all they sold them the alcohol , and they should make sure all guests are not raped and beaten regardless of their sobriety

I give their security a minus zero..It took them 8 hrs to find her, and they refused to search for her several times

BRAVO! YES!

You hit the nail squarely on the head!

ALL resort guests deserve to be protected.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Sometimes there is no answer to "why".

You seemed convinced that she was falling down drunk, and blowing a 0.25

Unless you were with her, you can not know for an absolute fact that she has so much as one sip of a single drink.

And it is those who have a love for salacious details who hunger to know if she was raped.

If this most unfortunate event happened to you where you were raped while on vacation, regardless whether it happened in day time or night, you were drunk off your rocker, or stone cold sober as a church mouse, would you want the world to know every minute detail  of your attack, including if you were raped?

Think about it.

She chose to go public.

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

She could have been knocked unconscious, and raped while unconscious, which would explain any "holes" in her story.

That's her right to not share every single gory detail of her attack with the general public.

We do not need to know the minute-by-minute details of everything that happened to her.

We, the general public?

Sorry, but we don't need to know every single minute detail of what happened to her.

@Anonymous032819  Well, I disagree. I think it’s important to know if she was raped, and it’s important to know if she had been drinking. I think the way this story is being told is specifically being told to scare people away from traveling. We are being fed a narrative that goes something like “innocent mom gets attacked, kidnapped and beaten for no apparent reason while going for a stroll on vacation.” That’s scary. That makes people fear going anywhere on vacation. What if the narrative was more like “drunk tourist walking alone in the middle of the night gets raped.” That doesn’t have the same effect.

Of course, she didn’t deserve what happened to her, but we know that alcohol lowers your inhibitions and causes bad choices. I wouldn’t walk around my back yard alone in the middle of the night, and she shouldn’t have been walking around a foreign country known for a high volume of crime in the middle of the night, especially if she had been drinking and her defenses were down.

Knowing if she was raped could reveal the motivation of the attacker. Nothing is scarier than a monster who acts without a motive. The thought that there is someone lurking in the bushes who may attack anyone at any time for no reason is terrifying. It is not much more comforting to know that there is a rapist out there, but it is one answered question in the investigation. Having the “why” answered iwould solve a small part of the mystery behind the attack. 

@MaryLamb   OMG rape is rape.  In one sentence I'm reading that she didn't deserve to be raped yet in the next sentence being drunk caused her to make a bad decision to go get a simple snack.

I don't believe she left the resort.  What she "should" or "should not" have done is putting part of the blame on her.

I strongly disagree with you.  Her decision not to disclose right now is her right.

Should this ever be solved, the details will be revealed and that is more than enough for her to deal with when the time comes.

We also don't know if there is a detail that only the person who did this would know;  a tried and true tactic to weed out those who are not guilty.

Does anybody really need to know if rape happened? To me, that beating should be enough info for now to make people aware that somebody was hanging around with evil intent, no matter the crime.

Rape can also occur as an after-thought in the commission of a crime, too. 

It isn't always the motive for an attack.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Going public that doesn't mean she has to reveal every degrading, subhuman, thing ,that was done to her. The poor lady has been through enough, she has the right to decide how much she wants to disclose ,about the attack

It was very brave of her to share as much as she has. I don't know that I would be that courageous

Valued Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

We, the general public?

@MaryLamb   OMG rape is rape.  In one sentence I'm reading that she didn't deserve to be raped yet in the next sentence being drunk caused her to make a bad decision to go get a simple snack.

I don't believe she left the resort.  What she "should" or "should not" have done is putting part of the blame on her.

I strongly disagree with you.  Her decision not to disclose right now is her right.

Should this ever be solved, the details will be revealed and that is more than enough for her to deal with when the time comes.

We also don't know if there is a detail that only the person who did this would know;  a tried and true tactic to weed out those who are not guilty.

Does anybody really need to know if rape happened? To me, that beating should be enough info for now to make people aware that somebody was hanging around with evil intent, no matter the crime.

Rape can also occur as an after-thought in the commission of a crime, too. 

It isn't always the motive for an attack.

@Cakers3  I said she didn’t deserve to be raped. I didn’t say she wasn’t partially responsible for the rape occurring. When you make a careless decision and something bad happens to you, you are partially responsible.