Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mystery going on at the Dominican Republic

I expect to be attacked after my remarks but here goes. Americans can be incredibly naïve when it comes to international travel. They think they are protected from harm because they are Americans, They visit foreign countries where human rights are not valued and are shocked to learn they may not be protected. It’s time that we become realistic about where we go to enjoy vacations.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I expect to be attacked after my remarks but here goes. Americans can be incredibly naïve when it comes to international travel. They think they are protected from harm because they are Americans, They visit foreign countries where human rights are not valued and are shocked to learn they may not be protected. It’s time that we become realistic about where we go to enjoy vacations.

@Vivian 

I am not going to attack you, because you are right.

Whenever I travel to a different country, I consider myself a guest, and conduct myself as if I were a guest in someone's home.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

It sounds like Legionnaire's disease. 

Yes, it does. Legionnaire’s has affected 13 people at a hospital in Columbus, Oh. It has an incubation period of 2 to 10 days. However, death occurs mainly in smokers and the immune-compromised. We’ll have to wait for toxicology/autopsy reports. 

Honored Contributor

I read an article about the woman that was beat and left for dead on People magazine's website. The photos of her face are tough to look at but she felt she must speak out as she doesn't want the same thing to happen to anyone else. She's suffering from anxiety and mental trauma over this and understandably so.

https://people.com/crime/woman-speaks-out-nearly-died-attack-dominican-republic-resort/

Honored Contributor

They might take it down @colliemom4 . I put a link up and they poofed it

Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I think whatever it is was placed in food or drink by someone else. I think couple in Figi also died so pulmonary edema but I am not sure. This is very sad and upsetting. 

What are the odds of these two people BOTH having that?

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

They might take it down @colliemom4 . I put a link up and they poofed it

Hi @cherry. There are other ones here. It's a hit or miss lol. Check it out though. I can't imagine going through something like that.

Trusted Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

No attack from me.  This is a fair statement.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4  I did, and I think the one I put up even made her look worse. They said it was too graphic

I guess it was, but if it makes someone think twice about going there ,it is worth it

Respected Contributor

@Ruby Laine 

It sounded like all of these people got sick within hours not days, though.   I think it said the couple checked in to their room and she got something from the mini bar and immediately called to him as she was suddenly sick.  What can make people deathly sick so fast besides some sort of poison?