Honored Contributor

Re: Mystery going on at the Dominican Republic

[ Edited ]

Almost every thread I’ve looked at tonight has a contrary person. Really contrary. I think they do it on purpose. Like the Manson thread yesterday.

Respected Contributor

This is very terrible and upsetting.  We have been travelling to Punta Cana for 14 years   

and nothing like this ever happened. I hope it gets resolved because I want to go there in December again.

Respected Contributor

Image result for Contrarian T-Shirts

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Almost every thread I’ve looked at tonight has a contrary person. Really contrary. I think they do it on purpose. Like the Manson thread yesterday.

@proudlyfromNJ   They even have a tee shirt for that.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

She could have been knocked unconscious, and raped while unconscious, which would explain any "holes" in her story.

She may not have been aware that she had been raped until well after the fact.

And she just might not want to tell the public that she was raped.

That's her right to not share every single gory detail of her attack with the general public.

We do not need to know the minute-by-minute details of everything that happened to her.

The police need to know that.

The doctors need to know that.

Her family need to know that.

We, the general public?

Sorry, but we don't need to know every single minute detail of what happened to her.

@Anonymous032819  Well, I disagree. I think it’s important to know if she was raped, and it’s important to know if she had been drinking. I think the way this story is being told is specifically being told to scare people away from traveling. We are being fed a narrative that goes something like “innocent mom gets attacked, kidnapped and beaten for no apparent reason while going for a stroll on vacation.” That’s scary. That makes people fear going anywhere on vacation. What if the narrative was more like “drunk tourist walking alone in the middle of the night gets raped.” That doesn’t have the same effect.

Of course, she didn’t deserve what happened to her, but we know that alcohol lowers your inhibitions and causes bad choices. I wouldn’t walk around my back yard alone in the middle of the night, and she shouldn’t have been walking around a foreign country known for a high volume of crime in the middle of the night, especially if she had been drinking and her defenses were down.

Knowing if she was raped could reveal the motivation of the attacker. Nothing is scarier than a monster who acts without a motive. The thought that there is someone lurking in the bushes who may attack anyone at any time for no reason is terrifying. It is not much more comforting to know that there is a rapist out there, but it is one answered question in the investigation. Having the “why” answered iwould solve a small part of the mystery behind the attack. 

@MaryLamb   OMG rape is rape.  In one sentence I'm reading that she didn't deserve to be raped yet in the next sentence being drunk caused her to make a bad decision to go get a simple snack.

I don't believe she left the resort.  What she "should" or "should not" have done is putting part of the blame on her.

I strongly disagree with you.  Her decision not to disclose right now is her right.

Should this ever be solved, the details will be revealed and that is more than enough for her to deal with when the time comes.

We also don't know if there is a detail that only the person who did this would know;  a tried and true tactic to weed out those who are not guilty.

Does anybody really need to know if rape happened? To me, that beating should be enough info for now to make people aware that somebody was hanging around with evil intent, no matter the crime.

Rape can also occur as an after-thought in the commission of a crime, too. 

It isn't always the motive for an attack.

@Cakers3  I said she didn’t deserve to be raped. I didn’t say she wasn’t partially responsible for the rape occurring. When you make a careless decision and something bad happens to you, you are partially responsible. 

@MaryLamb, I understand your point about DNA. But I catagorically disagree with your " When you make a careless decision and something bad happens to you, you are partially responsible."

That is an outdated and reprehensible idea that has caused females (or males) so much pain. Good riddance to that attitude.

@suzyQ3  If you believe people should t be held responsible for their bad decisions, should we assume that you don’t believe that people should be arrested or go to prison?

@MaryLamb, that's a false equivalency. We humans make innocent mistakes day in and day out; a person arrested for a crime and found guilty has broken the law.

@suzyQ3  I wouldn’t equate an innocent mistake with making a bad decision. 

@MaryLamb, okay, then. Let me rephase the false equivalency: We humans make bad decisions all the time; a convicted criminal has broken the law.

Look, by your accounting, we'd have to consider where a woman goes, what time it is, what she's wearing, what she may have imbibed, etc. etc, ad nauseam.

None of this makes her in any way responsible for being attacked and raped.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

You can give them all the passes you want. This place was dreadful right from the get go

When you are the victim of a crime the only one to blame is the criminal, and in this case ,the resort ,for having  less than poor   security

She wasn't a sophisticated traveler, that is hardly her fault. She trusted this place to be safe, and to make sure she was too..All she can have laid at her feet is she was a bit naive, but  that doesn't make her responsible for her attack

The resort must know what sort of crimes are committed in the area, and take guests safety seriously, and they didn't.

What are you talking about?  Saying she wasn't a sophisticated traveler and naive? She went out at a very reasonable hour in the evening to get food at the club lounge. The lounge was open so clearly it was expecting people to visit during those hours.  I have been to this resort, the path she took was not down some dark alley. Now we have all learned the danger can come from within the resort, not intruders. From the people you thought you could trust to protect you.  When you walk around these resorts there are uniformed employees everywhere, I never looked at them as a potential threat before.  Now I will, and will not venture unaccompanied at night.