Honored Contributor

Re: Mystery Trips - who has been on one?

@MaggieMack wrote:

@World Traveler, another GREAT book to read if you have interest in Scotland is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It is historical fiction set in 17th century and 1945 Scotland. It is the first in a series, and the best, and historically accurate. 1,100 pages or so, couldn't put it down once it grabbed me. I dreamed Scotland! And became so enamored with the leading male character that I ordered a handmade kilt in Fraser plaid directly from Scotland. One of my top 3 books of all time.

I'll give it a go! Thanks for your suggestion. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Every trip with my husband was a "mystery"...........He always "knew a shortcut"............yeah, uh huh.

A few years ago while on a road trip my Husband told the GPS to take us on the shortest trip going in a direction.   The GPS sent us into a road across a cow field and we had no iPhone signals.  For miles and miles we saw no cars or buildings.  We was alone out in the middle of no where.  Had no idea where we was and where we were headed.  

It did rattle us a little.  No one knew where we were.  It was a dangerous thing.

Never again while traveling do we ask our GPS to take us on the shortest trip.

I've probably been in that same cow pasture(!)    One time, we ended up on a dead-end dirt road.......on top of a hill.   

LOL,   life sure can be fun while we are out there exploring.   

Trusted Contributor

This is an interesting idea, and I've never heard of it.  It doesn't appeal to me personally because we don't like to travel with groups of other tourists when we go anywhere.  And depending on what the destination ended up being, I'd probably have my own idea of what I wanted to see and where I wanted to go.

I'd rather just close my eyes and spin a globe to select the location (continent at least!), then do the planning ourselves! 

Frequent Contributor

The idea of a Mystery Tour sounds interesting...I'm always up for an adventure. However, how would would you know what to pack?

Honored Contributor

@Doxielover wrote:

The idea of a Mystery Tour sounds interesting...I'm always up for an adventure. However, how would would you know what to pack?

It is my understanding that you get the packet of information one week in advance. That information gives you the airline schedule and what type of clothes to take. I've been so busy with other higher priority things that I haven't pursued it since I first posted this thread. But I definitely want to check into it further. 

From what I have read in newspaper articles on this some years ago, you don't necessarily travel in a group. You give them the dates you are available and the amount of money you are willing to spend. What are the chances that a whole group of other people would have the same dates and amount of money available to join you? I'm thinking you don't go with other people, but could be way wrong on this. 

Definitely on my bucket list to try out!

Honored Contributor

I do not care for suprises so I am sure I would not care for these trips.