Honored Contributor

Mystery Trips - who has been on one?

I read some years ago about mystery trips. Not the ones where you go to a house and they reinact a murder and you figure out who did it. This is where you travel to a place without knowing beforehand, until about one week beforehand.

I googled it and found one company called Magical Mystery Tours, and it seems like it was for people in their 20's to 30's. I think it would be fun to have someone plan your trip and not know until right before you go, so you know how to pack. There were no reviews on that website that I saw, that would tell you where the people went and what they did. I assume it depends upon how much you want to pay and how much time you have. I would think they would need to have you do a little questionnaire in order to know what your preferences are...active, culinary, adventure, etc.

Anyone done that? If so, where did they send you and how did you like it? Would you recommend it?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Mystery Trips - who has been on one?

A friend went on one and ended up in Brazil,she had a blast.

Respected Contributor

We travel a lot and we would want to plan ourself where we are going to travel.   We pay them to tell us where they want to send us on a trip?   Nope... I would save my money for the trip we pick for us to travel.  Why get an outsider involved in our trips?

Respected Contributor

When living in Scotland, I took a few Mystery Tours by train from Glasgow.  (They do really call them Mystery Tours, or did back in the 1990s).

I didn't know the country well and it was one way to see things. They went to various beautiful places in the Highlands; they were inexpensive day trips so I didn't expect to go more than a few hours' train distance. They were definitely fun.

I have a few favorite places now that I would prefer, but one of the train trips I still take is the trip from Glasgow to Oban, across moody moorlands and darkened mountains.  That trip was among the Mystery Tours I took long ago.

Esteemed Contributor

No Way.  No Surprises.  I'd rather go to Vegas.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

........................................................................................

I been thinking about going to Vegas too.  

I like to go on Tuesday - Thursday.  Less people.

Esteemed Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

........................................................................................

That's when we usually go, Tuesday - Thursday.  Used to be less for the rooms those days but I don't think it's that way today. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

When living in Scotland, I took a few Mystery Tours by train from Glasgow.  (They do really call them Mystery Tours, or did back in the 1990s).

I didn't know the country well and it was one way to see things. They went to various beautiful places in the Highlands; they were inexpensive day trips so I didn't expect to go more than a few hours' train distance. They were definitely fun.

I have a few favorite places now that I would prefer, but one of the train trips I still take is the trip from Glasgow to Oban, across moody moorlands and darkened mountains.  That trip was among the Mystery Tours I took long ago.

Am curious how far in advance you knew where you were going. On one of the websites, they had a picture of a gal standing at the airport with her packet, unopened. All she knew was that she was to be at the airport at a certain time. 

Having done extensive traveling, I am going to assume she didn't go out of the country or she would have had to apply for a visa, depending upon the country.

I've done a lot of adventure trips, like tracking gorillas in Rwanda, and safaris, so am looking for something completely different yet an adventure in a different way. I may just try this after reading about your experiences.

Did they have you fill out a questionnaire to see what type of trip you wanted? I would think they would need to know your approximate age and if you had any disabilities, etc., that they would have to take into consideration. 

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I wouldn't want to take a mystery tour because they MIGHT take me to Vegas!  Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I wouldn't want to take a mystery tour because they MIGHT take me to Vegas!  Woman Surprised

@Sooner,  LOL   Good one.