Valued Contributor

Mystery Solved on my new car purchase...I hope

[ Edited ]

I bought a new car and had an alarm installed.  Anyone, but me with key fob in pocket could walk by my car and touch it without the alarm going off.  If I went near my car (with key fob) the alarm would go off.  After several trips to get this fixed, I was finally able to show the people at the service department the problem.  It turns out that the factory settings on the electronic  door locks had been set incorrectly.  I have never heard of this problem and was told by my service manager that he had worked there for 7 years and had never seen this before.  Lucky me, I guess.  Anyone else ever had this problem or know of it happening to someone else?

Honored Contributor

Re: Mystery Solved on my new car purchase...I hope

No I haven’t heard of this happening but I’m glad you got it corrected. Enjoy your new car.

Honored Contributor

No, I hadn't heard of anyone having that issue.  You would think it would have been caught somewhere between the production line and it being turned over to you.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad it got fixed.  New cars have so many computer run items and they have all kind of strange and dangerous issues that can be easily repaired when they figure out what went wrong.

They may say they have never heard of the problem but they have or something similar.

Enjoy that new car.

Valued Contributor

What kind of car is it?  When I first bought the car I have now (Nissan Altima), I didn't realize that the child safety locks were engaged on the rear doors.  I had my son's in-laws trapped back there until I walked around the car and opened the doors from the outside.

Honored Contributor

I never heard of that happening, but I am glad it got figured out. 

When I visit my sister and we are saying our goodbyes at the door. My car door locks and unlocks many times in quick succession and somegimes the  car alarm goes off.  She lives in a quiet neighborhood and it’s embarrassing because it happens often.

We can’t figure that one out and always say, the ghosts in my car are ready for me to go home.

Respected Contributor

Not that problem.  If it's been fixed, be happy and move on.

Honored Contributor

DH’s Honda Pilot will alarm while sitting in our closed garage if he accidentally hits alarm (on key chain) while inside house with all outside doors closed.  ?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras