Honored Contributor

@Tink814 wrote:

I opened my front door today and saw a package sitting on my welcome mat. It was delivered by the post office and has my full name and address on it. I do not recognize the name on the return address (it came from an apartment) and I don't know anyone living in that city. Should I open it or just return it to the post office? It's a medium size white bag and whatever is inside feels soft.

Research the sender's name online and address. Don't open it yet. 

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Tink814 wrote:

Thank you to those that posted kind responses. I'm not sure how me being concerned about a package with a return address from an apartment that I did not recognize qualifies me as a drama queen, but okay then.

I did open the package and it was an item that I was told had been lost months ago.

@Tink814 @You're not a drama queen and the poster that said this is insulting you. 

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like it's a gift from someone. I would go ahead and open it!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Tink814 wrote:

I opened my front door today and saw a package sitting on my welcome mat. It was delivered by the post office and has my full name and address on it. I do not recognize the name on the return address (it came from an apartment) and I don't know anyone living in that city. Should I open it or just return it to the post office? It's a medium size white bag and whatever is inside feels soft.

Research the sender's name online and address. Don't open it yet. 

@Mindy D 

Too late!

She already has.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@Teddie   believe me, it happens.  Last year I sent a retirement gift to a co worker in another state.  (never met her, but worked with her for 15 years).  She returned the gift, unopened, return to sender.  It hurt.  I was trying to surprise her and I guess it didn’t.   I’ve lost faith in some people.  

Could it be that she no longer lived at that address and the new owners sent it back?

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@Teddie   believe me, it happens.  Last year I sent a retirement gift to a co worker in another state.  (never met her, but worked with her for 15 years).  She returned the gift, unopened, return to sender.  It hurt.  I was trying to surprise her and I guess it didn’t.   I’ve lost faith in some people.  

@lynnie61   I don't understand why you have lost faith in some people.

Your co-worker may have moved and forwarding time expired.

Your co-worker may not have recognized your address or even your name.

Your co-worker could have passed away, sadly.

You could drop a note to him/her wishing him/her all the best.  The gift really isn't important.  It was a kind gesture but a card with best wishes is just as nice.

Return the gift and let it go.  I'm sure it wasn't done to deliberately hurt your feelings.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Tink814 wrote:

Thank you to those that posted kind responses. I'm not sure how me being concerned about a package with a return address from an apartment that I did not recognize qualifies me as a drama queen, but okay then.

I did open the package and it was an item that I was told had been lost months ago.

Yay! Smiley Happy   I was curious, also.  Glad it was something not bad.  Hope it's something you are happy to receive.

You don't have to explain yourself to anybody.  It's a thing on this board that there are always those who will insult or read you.  Just try to ignore it, as it's not worth your time or attention.   Happy day!

Respected Contributor

Re: Mystery Package

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3    Sadly, she did not move, she did not pass away, and yes, she still lives there.    She returned EVERY retirement gift, her coworkers collected a several hundred dollars and purchased a new iPad as gift for her, she refused it.  Maybe they forced her out?  She had 50+ years service.  I just sent her something small and a gift card with well wishes.  Someone you work with for 15 years can’t even open it?  I just never expected it to be returned.  It was returned in her handwriting.  

Yes, she knew my full name, we talked almost daily for 15 years, and we got along great. And yes, my feelings were hurt.  I thought people liked surprises.  Cards mean more to me than gifts.  I’m over it, it was a year ago.  To me, it was just odd.

Esteemed Contributor

@lynnie61 

Since she returned every retirement gift, that says to me that she wasn't interested in getting stuff, just because she retired.

Not everybody is in to "gift grabs", just because something "big" happened.

She probably has all the stuff that she needs, and doesn't need more, no matter how well intend.

Some people just want to quietly retire, and the less fuss made over it, the happier they are.

It's like when someone sends an invite to a party, and on it they say, "NO GIFTS", but yet people ignore that request, and bring gifts anyway, putting the recipient on the spot.

So, since she sent everyone's gift back, I wouldn't take it personally.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.