Respected Contributor

Re: Mystery E Coli outbreak in 5 States

we only have a farmers market in the summer!!

Respected Contributor

have been afraid to buy romaine after all the scares so have not yet. i miss it, its my fav lettuce!

Honored Contributor

@Marp @We already use too many chemicals and gmo foods...European countries won’t import from us.Why does the USA have to grow frankenfood.

Respected Contributor

If you want to keep up with food recalls by the Federal government, here's the place to find them. 

The info can lag by a few days on the newest recalls, but it's always worth a look........

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I haven’t bought iceberg lettuce in years...we use more spinach and kale and leaf lettuce...have found the spinach and kale last much longer so I don’t throw out as much. I know many pkgs of produce say “ washed and ready to eat”. No way would I ever eat any produce without thoroughly washing it no matter what the package says,

@lovesrecess  problem is that eColi can not be washed off....

Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

FYI: An article in the news today said that the government is going to cede more authority to pork producers as part of their anti-regulatory agenda. They will be cutting the number of federal inspector by 40 percent and replacing them will plant employees, whose training will be at discretion of the plant owners.

We are already there.

@suzyQ3 

The fox will be guarding the henhouse.

That won't be good.

We're quickly becoming a third world country.

Valued Contributor

@sissel wrote:

Hunts tomato paste in a can has a recall they say it may have mold in the can. It's at least once a week with recalls now.

@sissel 

Thanks for posting!  Checked it out because I sometimes use Hunts paste.  It is the NO SALT version.  Here is the link from Conagra foods if anyone is interested...

https://wtop.com/recalls/2019/04/conagra-recalls-hunts-tomato-paste-due-to-possible-mold/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
I haven’t bought iceberg lettuce in years...we use more spinach and kale and leaf lettuce...have found the spinach and kale last much longer so I don’t throw out as much. I know many pkgs of produce say “ washed and ready to eat”. No way would I ever eat any produce without thoroughly washing it no matter what the package says,

@lovesrecess  problem is that eColi can not be washed off....

This images speaks volumes as to the reason why leafy green vegetables are the worst when it comes to bacterial contamination. This microscopic image of a pore (stomata) on a lettuce leaf shows e.coli sitting outside the pore and one inside it, too. The reason why the bacteria cannot be washed off is because the bacteria can travel inside the pore and become sheltered there. Stomata also have the ability to open and close to allow CO2 gases to be taken in and when the stomata close, the bacteria also benefit from the event by multiplying inside...it's like little houses for them to do their business.

images.jpg

Honored Contributor

Just saw this on the news this morning. Sure hope they find the source asap!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

There’s a little part of me that it’s irresponsible for the CDC

to make this HUGE declaration...with no information

to back it up.

Who?   72...huge profile; could be more

When?  March 2 to current...huge timeframe

Where? 5 states...huge profile; could be more

What?   No idea

Why?    No idea

So everyone’s wringing their hands over...nothing, so far.

With outbreaks, like eColi, the very young/old & thought with

suppressed immune systems are the ones generally affected.

If you don’t fall within that range, really nothing to worry about.