Esteemed Contributor

I think the extra $600 for unemployment goes through the end of July. This is not a forever pay day. Also, I would think it the employee refuses to come back to work the employer can notify the state and let them know. If they refuse to go back, they should not reap the benefits. I knew this extra money would cause a problem. How they came to a figure of $600 is unbelievable. 

I hope everything works out for you. It has to be hard with everything happening. Just don't give up.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@geezerette 

To be fair, they may be concerned for their health as well. Particularly if they would be serving the public who may not be wearing face coverings.

@Porcelain 

It could be true for some.  But I know of a couple of businesses that need their employees to come in to help set up the business even before they allow customers in, but the employees aren't interested.  

Honored Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@geezerette 

To be fair, they may be concerned for their health as well. Particularly if they would be serving the public who may not be wearing face coverings.

Most especially in areas/environments that may have many cases of infected individuals.   

@BeautyLver 

Our state has had a very low case rate per capita from the beginning.  And continues that way.

Respected Contributor

If a person refuses employment they lose their unemployment. This is why the meat packing plants want to be able to deny liability if their workers get ill because of unsafe and unmandated safety conditions.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@tansy Yes..Congressman's office told me to wait two more weeks on the stimulus...

I have not contated my state representative on the small business money....I know the state web site is swamped.

@Mom2Dogs :  You need to go to your local bank and fill out an application for PPP now.   We initially went to our "big bank" and waited a month (until first round ran out of money) with no luck from them.  Then we went to a local small bank, they submitted our application on a Tuesday (second round) and Thursday we heard from them that we got the PPP.  Please don't put this off any longer.  Money is in short supply and here's wishing you and your DH the very best in these troubling times for us small business owners.  

Valued Contributor

Oh, I am totally on your side and DEFINITELY feel your pain!!  I am self employed as well and have yet to receive my stimulus and have yet to receive unemployment nor the $600 a week.  For our state of PA, the site for self employed just opened to even be able to apply April 18th. I was able to apply April 20th, but do you think I've heard anything?  And I have received ZERO income since mid March!!!! 

For those suggesting calling anyone anywhere...again, good luck!  No one is answering phones or calling you back.  I can log into my account that I created under unemployment, but it still shows pending and the link to file weekly that I'm still unemployed isn't even working yet! Yes I'm frustrated.

And absolutely I feel your pain hearing those talking about what they're buying or doing with their money when you haven't received yours yet.I know people who are basically on the cusp of not getting the stimulus because they make a lot, yet they've received theirs! Or a reduced amount. And lamented that they wish they would have gotten the full $1200. Yeah, I feel so sorry for those people, not. (and they're people I love-lol). Or who got the $1200 but will use it for fun money.

And to those chastizing people that they should have saved for a rainy day...how long would YOU be able to live with no income? I'm going on 2 months as of today. And this will probably not end anytime soon!  And I'm sure you would be complaining too if whatever income you are used to just disappeared through no fault of your own! 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom   From what we read and our bank said the PPE is not for us, we have no employees (it's just me and my husband) to keep on the payroll and unless business and industry are working we have no work.

The state of Ohio's site for the help we need was to be up and running mid May...(thanks to @Carmie that sent me that info) and our local chamber of commerce sent us the link to get to the site to pre register.

There have been issues... the chamber president is also self employed and she had trouble understanding the registering process as did I when I tried to pre register.

Today was just a frustrating day....

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - I just received the stimulus check on Saturday. Hopefully, yours will arrive shortly.

Respected Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Spacrazy wrote:

@Mom2Dogs Not sure what they did but three people close to me got their money for their small businesses and and employees right away (hair stylist, dog groomer and diner/cafe). I know they were on phones and computers from first notification.

You have to be extremely diligent. And pick times that are "off hours".  Set an alarm if one has to...middle of the night/very early morning.  A plan is everything.

Yes, you do have to be diligent, but there is something else going on (first round)...big banks/big businesses were scooping up the money.  We bank at a huge bank and they did nothing after constant phone calls each morning checking on the status of our claim.  DH filled out the request the same day the PPP was opened up.  Just because you plan doesn't mean it is going to pan out for you.  We eventually went to a smaller bank, they wanted our business and came through for us (second round).  You have no idea the stress and strain this causes a lot of mall business owners across the country hoping to save their business and keep employees.  We kept our employees on and feel very fortunate that we were able to do so.

Valued Contributor

@elated wrote:

I think the extra $600 for unemployment goes through the end of July. This is not a forever pay day. Also, I would think it the employee refuses to come back to work the employer can notify the state and let them know. If they refuse to go back, they should not reap the benefits. I knew this extra money would cause a problem. How they came to a figure of $600 is unbelievable. 

I hope everything works out for you. It has to be hard with everything happening. Just don't give up.

But employers have to remember that some of these employees now have kids at home and if they go back to work what are they going to do with their kids? Most schools are not going to be re-opening before new school year and most daycares are closed except for those taking first responder kids.