Respected Contributor

@Forbidden Fruit wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

Check your business insurance policy if you have one.  I know some people filing insurance claims. Also know of some people trying to get class actions together and suing the people who issued the orders to close.    I know the lawsuits cost $ but worth looking into.

Good luck.  We know many people in the same boat. 

@Forbidden Fruit :  We have business insurance.  They won't cover it because it is a virus.  This is happening all over the country.  They are the ones seemingly escaping any obligations to their clients.  Shameful.  

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Hoovermom   From what we read and our bank said the PPE is not for us, we have no employees (it's just me and my husband) to keep on the payroll and unless business and industry are working we have no work.

The state of Ohio's site for the help we need was to be up and running mid May...(thanks to @Carmie that sent me that info) and our local chamber of commerce sent us the link to get to the site to pre register.

There have been issues... the chamber president is also self employed and she had trouble understanding the registering process as did I when I tried to pre register.

Today was just a frustrating day....

Me too! Since I'm a business of just 'me' with no other employees nor even a physical location I operate out of {I do my business in people's homes}, I also do not qualify for the PPE.  But hey..let's hand out millions to companies who didn't need it nor will ever have to pay it back, while us TRUE 'little guys/gals' suffer with nothing! I try not to cry....

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie  Funny comment about your employee!  We do enjoy being self employed, but it does come with some sacrifices...We learned early to live below or means....very little vacation time, if work is slow, you don't get paid.  We have weathered many downturns in business, as well as recessions, etc. but we seem to be able to keep going, we have always been gratefull for what we have.    Don't get me started on healthcare!!

I am pretty confident that if our small community can come back --we will as well...as long as it does not last much longer. Our customers are pretty loyal.

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict   I thought it was awful that big business was asking for a bail out....I saw several times where the president called those companies out and the money was returned.  I know some will fall between the cracks but also am sure there will be others 'caught' and will be forced to return the money.

Super Contributor

RE: the $600 addition to unemployment

I think the intent of that figure was to level the playing field - so that someone who usually makes $75,000 a year doesn't quite make what they usually do, while someone who makes $40,000 a year makes what they usually do, and someone who makes less than $30,000 a year makes more than they usually do.

Hopefully, those who are making more than usual under this program will save their money in a rainy day fund and find a better job that pays closer to average wages when this is all over.

Meanwhile, the average wage earner can continue to cover their bills as usaual.

It's really not all that "unfair"...

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict   I thought it was awful that big business was asking for a bail out....I saw several times where the president called those companies out and the money was returned.  I know some will fall between the cracks but also am sure there will be others 'caught' and will be forced to return the money.

I don't want to be poofed for saying the wrong thing, but I am MOST certainly taking note of those companies who are keeping the money but really didn't need it. If I gave them business before, it will be stopped pronto!!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs :  I feel your pain.  Just a question, not trying to be nosy.  If you file W-2's you and your DH are employees of your company, thus eligible for PPP.  Maybe I would try another bank and see what they had to say about your eligibility.  I know it is a lot of contacting (been there) but it paid off for us.  Yes, we applied at three banks and finally one came through.  

Super Contributor

Re: My turn to vent

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Spacrazy wrote:

@Mom2Dogs Not sure what they did but three people close to me got their money for their small businesses and and employees right away (hair stylist, dog groomer and diner/cafe). I know they were on phones and computers from first notification.

You have to be extremely diligent. And pick times that are "off hours".  Set an alarm if one has to...middle of the night/very early morning.  A plan is everything.

Yes, you do have to be diligent, but there is something else going on (first round)...big banks/big businesses were scooping up the money.  We bank at a huge bank and they did nothing after constant phone calls each morning checking on the status of our claim.  DH filled out the request the same day the PPP was opened up.  Just because you plan doesn't mean it is going to pan out for you.  We eventually went to a smaller bank, they wanted our business and came through for us (second round).  You have no idea the stress and strain this causes a lot of mall business owners across the country hoping to save their business and keep employees.  We kept our employees on and feel very fortunate that we were able to do so.

With all due respect, just because a person may not discuss personal details on the internet, does not mean they do not know what they speak.  From experience.      Starting a sentence with "you have no idea" is not warranted.  And you are incorrect in your assumption.  What you experienced may or may not be the same for another or others.  This is a great  big world and your experience where you live is not mine.  As well, did not state making a plan does equates to guaranteed success.  A plan is a positive tool intended to work to achieve the end goal.    

Honored Contributor

I THINK that the employer has to document requesting the employee to come back and also show the employees response.  I am pretty sure I saw that on the news.

Respected Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Spacrazy wrote:

@Mom2Dogs Not sure what they did but three people close to me got their money for their small businesses and and employees right away (hair stylist, dog groomer and diner/cafe). I know they were on phones and computers from first notification.

You have to be extremely diligent. And pick times that are "off hours".  Set an alarm if one has to...middle of the night/very early morning.  A plan is everything.

Yes, you do have to be diligent, but there is something else going on (first round)...big banks/big businesses were scooping up the money.  We bank at a huge bank and they did nothing after constant phone calls each morning checking on the status of our claim.  DH filled out the request the same day the PPP was opened up.  Just because you plan doesn't mean it is going to pan out for you.  We eventually went to a smaller bank, they wanted our business and came through for us (second round).  You have no idea the stress and strain this causes a lot of mall business owners across the country hoping to save their business and keep employees.  We kept our employees on and feel very fortunate that we were able to do so.

With all due respect, just because a person may not discuss personal details on the internet, does not mean they do not know what they speak.  From experience.      Starting a sentence with "you have no idea" is not warranted.  And you are incorrect in your assumption.  What you experienced may or may not be the same for another or others.  This is a great  big world and your experience where you live is not mine.  As well, did not state making a plan does equates to guaranteed success.  A plan is a positive tool intended to work to achieve the end goal.    

@BeautyLver :  I stand by my comments.  Please leave me alone.  This is not the first time you have come after me.