Esteemed Contributor

Re: My town’s Nordstrom is closing

I'm surprised that none of the Canadian Nordstrom stores are on the chopping block as the only one that is profitable by far is the Vancouver downtown Nordstrom. But given that tourism won't be happening for the rest of the year and that the Nordstrom store relies on overseas Chinese visitors spending a lot of money there, I doubt that even that store will do very well.

The Canadian/U.S. border won't likely re-open for regular visitors in either direction any time soon. And anyone coming into Canada will have to self quarantine for 14 days. Even if and when I can visit my mom and sister in the U.S. again, I won't unless I have to since I would then have to self quarantine on my return home to Canada. So you can see that cross border tourism, let alone tourism from other countries is out of the question.

Vancouver's economy is very dependent on tourism and summer is the time when tourists come to visit and that isn't going to happen this year. I think the economy here will only be getting worse as time goes on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wha is sad to me as a kid growing up in fifties and early 60's is how much these stores meant to us.  We had no online,  it was beat it to the stores for Spring line, Fall line.  You couldn't really buy seasonal clothes year around.  Omg, some of the stores were such status symbols too.  Macy's and Emporium being in competition and Emporium maybe being a tiny higher end.  And Neimans was like J Magnin.  Shopping was a big deal.  Got dressed up, when we went to San Francisco once a year to shop we wore gloves and hats  Geesh I am 72 and remember seamed nylons and garter belts, and  weren't for a sexy attraction, but necessity and a requirement.  lol  I am old.  Lol

Esteemed Contributor

I live in Colorado and the Flatiron store had very few customers. I am not surprised but I am sad for the employees losing their jobs.Their clothing line had very limited selections.

I read where they were behind in paying their vendors and were not placing new orders. It is sad what is happening in our country. Hopefully, we can turn it around and get people back to work.

Respected Contributor

Sur La Table is declaring bankruptcy too.

Honored Contributor

We still have our Nordstrom.  It's still around in our mall which is currently closed.  I"m indifferent about other stores closing.  But I do mind Nordstrom.  One of the few department stores I do shop.

Trusted Contributor

What a shame....I still enjoy going to a department store and a mall...I like to try things on and see and feel things in person..I do a lot of online shopping, but find I return a lot as well.  Sad to see these stores closing.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I haven't bought much at Nordstrom for years, but when I do, I order online. Free ship and free returns. I hope that they will continue and thrive online.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Wow, looking at the list of closing stores - all in what I thought was in very upscale areas.  I'm a little surprised.  I'm shocked the Nordstrom's in Westchester County, NY, is not on the list.  Sorry about the Freehold, NJ, store - every time I came home from the shore, I had to stop in that one.

I remember when they were THE store.  Their customer service was lightyears ahead of every other store.  When they moved into the mall across from my store (Saks Fifth Avenue), they literally killed us.

I'm sorry for the employees; I worked in a few now shuttered stores myself.