Honored Contributor

My teen celebrity heartthrob turns 74 today- Yikes!!

[ Edited ]

Bobby Sherman was it for me.  I was at the perfect age when he was popular.  I was 12-14.  Here Come the Brides was my favorite show.  How could it ever have been any better than Here Come the Brides.  Well....well.... it couldn't as far as I was concerned.

I used to go shopping every Saturday in our town in New Jersey with my two friends and we'd buy all the popular teen magazines- 16, Tiger Beat, Fave and Flip to get the pictures of him.  Sometimes I'd buy two copies of a magazine so I'd make sure to get any pictures of back to back pages.

I had 4 huge scrapbooks filled with pictures of him.  The money I spent on Herald Square tape....

He was my first concert.  I just thought he was the best and it was just such a great time in my life.  A fun person to have a "crush" on and great friends to share it all with.  Great memories.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: My teen celebrity heartthrob turns 74 today- Yikes!!

Well there you go!

I had an album and remember, "Julie, Julie, Julie, do you love me?". 

I can't remembe my celebrity heartthrob. I have to think on it.

Respected Contributor

LOL! I remember seeing Bobby Sherman in person when I was about 12 or 13..must have been about 1971 or so  I live in So Cal and we saw him at a local drug store one afternoon..He was a LOT shorter than I had imagined, and his skin was very pockmarked, but he was stll pretty cute!

My first celebrity crush, (after Astro-Boy!LOL!) was Davy Jones..ad the Monkees were my first concert too! .I was 9...It was at the Hollywood Bowl..you couldnt even hear for the screaming! 

Honored Contributor

How did it get so late so soon?  Dr. Suess

Honored Contributor

Because of the time we were raised in, My husband liked to sing along with Rick Nelson and I liked the life of Annette.  She was kind of a guide at that age.  I was raised on Disney on t.v. and grew up with the original Mickey Mouse Club. So it was a big influence on my life back then.  Rick was fine, but I liked music a lot back then too.

Respected Contributor

Here Comes The Brides was the best show EVER!

I loved watching it.

Jeremy & Candy....

Honored Contributor

Ladies - if you haven't already done so, do see my Here Comes The Brides thread from the TV forum.  My first post has a link to YouTube and the show's catchy theme song that, if you listen to it, will stick in your head all day.

As for Bobby turning 74,  74 is the new 24  LOL! 

My thread - it's a fun one if I do say so myslef!  People posted a lot of fond memories of the show - feel free to add to it!

https://community.qvc.com/t5/TV-and-Movies/Old-TV-Show-Here-Come-the-Brides/m-p/3830379/highlight/tr...

Esteemed Contributor

Oh I agree @gidgetgh that Here Comes the Brides was a great show.  One of my favorites when it was on, along with Room 222 and The Mod Squad!  I remember adoring Bobby Sherman as well.  Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Wow!

I didnt realize it was his birthday, and I was one of his biggest fans back in the day!

I still have my album. It was my very first record album that I ever owned.

Yeah, I'm old. LOL

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Because of the time we were raised in, My husband liked to sing along with Rick Nelson and I liked the life of Annette.  She was kind of a guide at that age.  I was raised on Disney on t.v. and grew up with the original Mickey Mouse Club. So it was a big influence on my life back then.  Rick was fine, but I liked music a lot back then too.

Someone once gave me tickets to a Rick Nelson show.  I was more of a Beatles/Stones/any English band type of girl but I went to the show anyway.  We happened to be sitting at a table very near the stage entrance and I saw him walking up on stage very closely.  Let me tell you - was he ever handsome!   Never that big a fan of his music (it was OK but I was more hard rock) but he was so good looking and he did put on a pretty good show.