Honored Contributor

Re: My state is the first to make laws about vaping for kids

There were some studies done about legal age to buy certain things, including ecigs. The studies determined that it is more likely that a younger person of legal age will buy stuff for a minor. So by raising the legal age to 21, for example, statistics say that there will be less of the products be handed over to minors. In other words 18yo's are more likely to hand over or buy for minors. The info I heard was mentioned on an episode of On the Money, just a few weeks ago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is such a long report I left  bit out..here is the conclusion

The tobacco industry is continuing to evolve and adaptto new regulations on tobacco products, a decliningdomestic cigarette market, and growing internationalcigarette business (25). Perhaps the most interestingrecent development has been the rapid growth of elec-tronic cigarettes. What started out as a novelty sold pri-marily on the Internet has quickly grown into a billiondollar a year enterprise pushing cigarette makers toenlarge their offerings (47). In 2008, RJ Reynolds (nowReynolds American, Inc.) acquired the Conwood Smoke-less Tobacco Company and gave that entity a new name:the American Snuff Company. In 2009, Reynoldslaunched Camel Snus, a pouch-like device for sucking inthe mouth, and the following year introduced Cameldissolvable tobacco orbs and sticks. Reynolds has alsoacquired the rights to market Zonnic nicotine replacementproducts and purchased Niconovum AB, a Swedish com-pany making oral nicotine replacement therapies. And in2013, Reynolds began test marketing a new electroniccigarette ("Vuse") complete with the company’s first tele-vision ads since the 1970s.Meanwhile Lorillard, makers of Newport cigarettes, in2012 acquired Blu Electronic Cigarettes, a leading manu-facturer of cigarettes designed to be "vaped" rather than"smoked." And Philip Morris has entered this territory.The company in 2003 changed its name to Altria, and inCummings and ProctorCancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 23(1) January 2014Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention34on March 6, 2016. © 2014 American Association for Cancer Research. cebp.aacrjournals.org Downloaded from

2009 acquired the US Smokeless Tobacco Company.Shortly thereafter, Altria began marketing Marlboro Snusalong with other smokeless products such as Skoal andCopenhagen in the United States, while devoting anincreasing share of resources to its business overseas. Andin 2013, Phillip Morris announced that it, too, wouldintroduce its own electronic cigarette, the "Mark Ten."Although some predictions have cigarette consumptiondropping to near trivial levels in the United States over thenext half century, the trend in other parts of the world islessencouraging (25). Cigarette consumption isincreasingin many low- and middle-income countries as cigarettemanufacturers have shifted much of their marketing,promotion, and production into these emerging econo-mies. Smoking remains the leading cause of preventableillness and premature death in most parts of the world,killing approximately 6 million people every year (48).Especially in developing nations, cigarette use is stillperceived as a rite of passage into adulthood and anordinary and noncontroversial behavior for adults, espe-cially males (49).The global effort to reduce the burden of tobacco usehas been aided by the Framework Convention on Tobac-co Control (FCTC), the first global health treaty, nego-tiated under the auspices of the World Health Organi-zation (50). The FCTC has been ratified by more than 170countries, though the United States has yet to join in.Ratification of the treaty obligates countries to imple-ment a comprehensive set of policies, including highertaxes, effective health warning labels, and smoke-freepolicies (50). The tobacco industry continues to workagainst efforts by governments to adopt policies thatwill effectively limit cigarette marketing and protectpublic health (51).It is more critical than ever that the medical and publichealth community adopt evidence-based guidelines toensure that governments implement the kinds of policiesand programs that will be effective in reducing tobaccouse. Interventions to reduce tobacco use will need toevolve in the future to reflect shifting public attitudes andinnovations by the industry to adjust to a changing reg-ulatory environment. Increasing attention should also begiven to more imaginative "endgame" strategies thatenvision a world entirely free of tobacco (4, 46, 52). Cig-arette smoking as we have known it had a historicalbeginning, and at some point will hopefully come to anend.Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of InterestK.M. Cummings and R.N. Proctor have served in the past and continueto serve as paid expert witnesses for plaintiffs in litigation against the

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Texas approved it in June and went into effect 9/1/19.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

i wonder also about marijuana use......has that significantly increased or decreased over the years? do the studies include recreational AND medical uses? these types of smokers are probably not figured into the cigarettes/vape/cigar smoking information.

cigar bars are quite popular around here now. so are the dispensary types of stores.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

There is also the Hooka bars( I think that is what they are called) I am not sure if they are still popular..but they were

Honored Contributor

oh now i see the difference in the michigan laws.....they are totally banning flavored e-cigs. the ban is to last six months at the moment.

looks like it is going to have some opposition though.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/09/04/michigan-bans-flavored-e-cigarettes/22070...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The laws should not allow harmful or addicting ingredients in these products. Some use diacetyl which was the ingredient used in microwave popcorn to give it that buttery taste. It caused workers to get popcorn lung which is what will happen to those that vape products with it. You will find it in those flavored e-cigs the teenagers like. The more flavoring in these the more damage it causes.

Here is some info I found online about the popcorn lung.

So what is the vaping-popcorn lung connection? Most high-end vape makers don’t use diacetyl, but in 2015, more than half of the mass-market e-cigarettes studied were found to contain the chemical – especially flavored vape juice. The diacetyl makes the flavors richer, but because the vapor is being breathed in, it exposes users to the risk of popcorn lung, which increases the longer these liquids are vaped. Particularly concerning is the fact that diacetyl is primarily found in flavored e-liquids – which tend to be more appealing to teenagers.

You can check out eliquidinfo dot org which shows vendors of e-cigs plus the chemical library which shows what ingredients are in which products.

Legal age for smoking & drinking should be 18 IMO. If you are old enough to go to war you are old enough to decide if you want to smoke or drink???

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was very popular in the dorm because I turned 21.  Nothing new.

Cute.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that the main problem is that kids (anyone under 18) doesn't see vaping as being dangerous or unhealthy.

They know that cigarette smoking is bad for you, so we've done well in getting that message out to them.

Now, we have to do the same thing about vaping.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

nRe: My state is the first to make laws about vaping for kids

Oregon passed the must be 21 law Jan 1, 2018.