Honored Contributor

Re: My simple solution re: traffic stops...

The vast, vast majority of police stops are perfectly routine and pose no risk to either party involved. It's the very rare exception where something goes wrong and someone gets injured/killed. I'd be surprised if the number of bad incidents were more than one in a hundred thousand stops. The police stop cars routinely and very, very rarely do things go wrong for either party. Creating a complicated new system to solve a problem that's virtually non-existent is not an especially efficient use of tax dollars.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

On 4/8/2015 gardenman said:

The vast, vast majority of police stops are perfectly routine and pose no risk to either party involved. It's the very rare exception where something goes wrong and someone gets injured/killed. I'd be surprised if the number of bad incidents were more than one in a hundred thousand stops. The police stop cars routinely and very, very rarely do things go wrong for either party. Creating a complicated new system to solve a problem that's virtually non-existent is not an especially efficient use of tax dollars.

Agree. These numbers are several years old but shows how that would not be very efficient use of tax dollars.

The most common reason for contact with the police is being a driver in a traffic stop. In 2008, an estimated 44% of face-to-face contacts that U.S. residents had with police occurred for this reason. About half of all traffic stops that year resulted in a traffic ticket. Approximately 5% of all stopped drivers were searched by police during a traffic stop.

These findings are based on the Police-Public Contact Survey (PPCS), a BJS survey that interviews U.S. residents about their contacts with police during the previous 12 months. Persons who reported more than one instance of face-to-face contact during the year are asked to describe the most recent occurrence. The PPCS has been conducted about every three years since 1999.

Summary findings

An estimated 17.7 million persons age 16 or older indicated that their most recent contact with the police in 2008 was as a driver pulled over in a traffic stop. These drivers represented 8.4% of the nation’s 209 million drivers.

A greater percentage of male drivers (9.9%) than female drivers (7.0%) were stopped by police during 2008. White (8.4%), black (8.8%), and Hispanic (9.1%) drivers were stopped by police at similar rates in 2008.

Stopped drivers reported speeding as the most common reason for being pulled over in 2008.

Approximately 85% of drivers pulled over by police in 2008 felt they had been stopped for a legitimate reason. In 2008, about 74% of black drivers believed police had a legitimate reason for stopping them compared to 86% of white and 82% of Hispanic drivers.

In 2008 about 5% of traffic stops led to a search of the driver, the vehicle, or both. Police were more likely to search male drivers (7.4%) than female drivers (1.6%).

Black drivers (12.3%) were about three times as likely as white drivers (3.9%) and about two times as likely as Hispanic drivers (5.8%) to be searched during a traffic stop in 2008.

Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 NoelSeven said:

They've used lights around here for people not coming to a complete stop, AND they send them a ticket for $500. No accident, just supposedly a rolling stop.

In about two years, it all backfired, with it being proven the lights weren't always correct. Small towns who used them for making money were stuck with big bills AFTER they'd collected a small fortune.

I can attest to your first paragraph. My husband got a ticket in the mail for not coming to a complete stop. He got the ticket in the mail with a photo of him as the driver and a photo of his license plate. We were pulling onto the 101. I forget what street it was on. The ticket was just under $500. I bet he won't do THAT again. He still talks about it and how much the fine was.

Esteemed Contributor

On the surface this sounds like a good idea but it really is not. There are many people arrested for outstanding warrants, drunk driving, drugs, etc.. Many of these same stops find people driving without insurance. Traffic stops for these types of offenses because they take people who shouldn't be on the street, off.

While this particular death may have been avoided, this cop was obviously a bad one and it was only a question of how long it would have taken him to seriously hurt or kill someone.

I am glad this monster is not only off the streets but in jail.

Traffic stops are dangerous for cops, in 1999 half of all officer, line of duty deaths were related to traffic stops so while this case is absolutely horrible the statistics show they are much more dangerous for the officer than the person being stopped.

I think this situation is terrible and I want all cops like him off the streets and in jail but it still doesn't change the fact the vast majority cops are good.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

On the surface this sounds like a good idea but it really is not. There are many people arrested for outstanding warrants, drunk driving, drugs, etc.. Many of these same stops find people driving without insurance. Traffic stops for these types of offenses because they take people who shouldn't be on the street, off.

While this particular death may have been avoided, this cop was obviously a bad one and it was only a question of how long it would have taken him to seriously hurt or kill someone.

I am glad this monster is not only off the streets but in jail.

Traffic stops are dangerous for cops, in 1999 half of all officer, line of duty deaths were related to traffic stops so while this case is absolutely horrible the statistics show they are much more dangerous for the officer than the person being stopped.

I think this situation is terrible and I want all cops like him off the streets and in jail but it still doesn't change the fact the vast majority cops are good.

I had to google to see what you were referring to as I had no idea. It is an awful situation!! This just happened Sunday? I'm sure a full and futile investigation has been started.

I agree, how many policemen in our fine country and how many are like this policeman? Huge majority are outstanding at their job and my hats off to them.

I've often cringed when I see a car pulled over especially at night. It's got to be scary each and every time not to mention the traffic speeding by.

Super Contributor

I'm confused.... what's wrong with stopping people for traffic violations?

Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 SnowPink said:

some people think it's a sure way to get shot........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 gardenman said:

It's not a rarity for certain racial groups, for some it can be a death sentence.

Super Contributor

On 4/8/2015 raven-blackbird said:
On 4/8/2015 SnowPink said:

some people think it's a sure way to get shot........................................raven

Ahhh....... well, let's look at facts. What percentage of traffic stops end with gunfire? I'm going to guess a very small percentage. I'm also going to guess that almost zero of them resulted in JUST being stopped by an officer. Other things always happen to make the officer take out his gun.

In the Walter Scott tragedy, the police officer was absolutely, totally, completely, OBVIOUSLY in the wrong and should go to prison for life.

Valued Contributor

edited as I just realized that this is an intense thread...

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ