Honored Contributor

Re: My shark came today with a warning

My favorites are all the individual commercials for multiple new drugs. They tell you all the wonderful things the drugs can do for you. Then they warn you that they can cause sudden death, kidney or pancreatic cancer, heart attack or stroke or leave you with no immune system. THEN they state "Do Not Take (Medication) If You Are Allergic To It."

DUHHHHH!

I'm trying to picture someone in the ICU telling their doctor "well, yeah, I know I'm allergic to it, but the commercial was on and told me to get some and take it, so I thought 'what the heck' and I did. Guess I shouldn't have, huh?"

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Irshgrl31201I once had a curling iron that said do not use while sleeping. Not kidding

But I always curl my hair after I am asleep?

I know! Isn't that what everyone does @BalletBabe? lol!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

People who live in CA pay no attention to those warnings unless they're pregnant or trying to be. I'm not rven sure the moms-to-be pay any attention. 

@Moonchilde

i know i never do!

it is posted in laundry facilities, grocery stores, nail salons, gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants, brick and mortar stores......it is borderline ridiculous as to the number of places it is posted!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I am grateful that we Californians have a warning. But that's all it is. It's up to the consumer.

The one major flaw with Prop 65 is that there is no requirement to include the specific toxin(s) and where they are present in the merchandise. In this case, if that had been are requirement, the OP would know that what's in the cord will not be harmful to her.

I'm sure that any such added requirment would have hit a brick wall, though. We as consumers just have to figure it out.

I really wish that we had a national rather state designation of possible harmful elements in what we buy. But I won't hold my breath for that. I pretty much am not holding my breath these days, period.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

People who live in CA pay no attention to those warnings unless they're pregnant or trying to be. I'm not rven sure the moms-to-be pay any attention. 

@Moonchilde

i know i never do!

it is posted in laundry facilities, grocery stores, nail salons, gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants, brick and mortar stores......it is borderline ridiculous as to the number of places it is posted!

And don't forget wine/alcohol. If you imbibe anything, Prop 65 says it might kill you, period. Of course, they probably have it posted at the dairy or the local fruit stand too. Maybe even at - gasp! - Whole Foods, which sells wine and beer.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

It's no doubt safer to use the vacuum than to live with what that thing can suck up from the floor or carpet!

I vacuum everyday and sometimes the amount of dirt in that canister.....omg! LOVE my Shark!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

My favorites are all the individual commercials for multiple new drugs. They tell you all the wonderful things the drugs can do for you. Then they warn you that they can cause sudden death, kidney or pancreatic cancer, heart attack or stroke or leave you with no immune system. THEN they state "Do Not Take (Medication) If You Are Allergic To It."

DUHHHHH!

I'm trying to picture someone in the ICU telling their doctor "well, yeah, I know I'm allergic to it, but the commercial was on and told me to get some and take it, so I thought 'what the heck' and I did. Guess I shouldn't have, huh?"

I always think of the movie Sideways in regards to drug warnings. Thomas Haden Churchs character, "Consult your doctor before using this product. Side effects may include oily discharge, hives, loss of appetite, low blood pressure. If you have diabetes or a history of kidney trouble, you're dead, a$&*ole!"

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Probably off gassing from the type of plastic they use.  Personally, I hate the shark.. I wish I had bought a less cumbersome vacuum.  The thing takes up half a small closet.  Too many pieces mad parts. It is so powerful it will suck the wings off a gnat at 50 feet.  I have to hold it back from taking off.   Hurts my neck retaining the darn thing.  It does clean, but too much for me.  I only have  area rugs as I have hardwood in all but one room.  Don't get it near the edge of a Berber carpet, you will wind up with a ball of yarn, lol

i do have house learners, and should never have bought this for the little vacuuming I do.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I am grateful that we Californians have a warning. But that's all it is. It's up to the consumer.

The one major flaw with Prop 65 is that there is no requirement to include the specific toxin(s) and where they are present in the merchandise. In this case, if that had been are requirement, the OP would know that what's in the cord will not be harmful to her.

I'm sure that any such added requirment would have hit a brick wall, though. We as consumers just have to figure it out.

I really wish that we had a national rather state designation of possible harmful elements in what we buy. But I won't hold my breath for that. I pretty much am not holding my breath these days, period.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that @suzyQ3. This is a rather major flaw. I would have thought they would let you know what part the warning covered.

JFK
Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

Many things with power cords come with that warning in CA. I would not be concerned, but if you are, then you should rid your home of everything that has a power cord.

@nomless

Oh, boy ......    I wonder how many devices there are in the "average" American home that have power cords attached to them?   Woman LOL