Honored Contributor

Re: My "Senior Day" experience at Costco this Morning 4/02

Any chance Costco was selling masks, @SeaMaiden?  

It sounds like the store is really stepping up to the challenge.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Any chance Costco was selling masks, @SeaMaiden?  

It sounds like the store is really stepping up to the challenge.

@tansy   Was not on my list!  I wish I had looked.... but I bet they would have been out. 

I have been looking on Amazon etc... most come from China and the reviews are like three star or less.... I think there is a lot of price gouging and cheap masks being sold now.   Consumer beware!

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt   I love Dave's Killer bread.  In my experience it lasts much longer than standard white bread if carefully closed, as does rye bread.

@SeaMaiden Thank you for sharing your recent experience.  Sounds like the "kinks" have been worked out.

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 wrote:

@chickenbutt   I love Dave's Killer bread.  In my experience it lasts much longer than standard white bread if carefully closed, as does rye bread.

@SeaMaiden Thank you for sharing your recent experience.  Sounds like the "kinks" have been worked out.

aroc3435

That's good to know.  Thanks so much!  Smiley Happy

I put my bread into Lock & Lock and keep it in a lower, cool part of the kitchen, cabinet so I find that bread will stay nice and fresh (keep in mind I'm super picky, so this isn't a stretch) for 17 days at least.   

I did buy two of those small ones and put each one into its own L&L so I hope it will last well.  I totally think it will.  I also have one full-size of the same Good Seed bread in the freezer, in a L&L of course.  The birdies and I are set for a while!  Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also went to Costco Sr. Hour this a.m. for the first time.  For someone who inquired here, I did not see masks being sold. We arrived about 10 min. after opening and we had to wait a few minutes to enter as they were only permitting a total of 200 people in at a time. Wait was quick.  We had on our gloves. We were able to purchase kleenex and paper towels, but no TP in the store.  Upon check out, the clerks unload the cart and process for payment.  I might get spoiled!  Able to get fresh fruit, veggies and most items seemed to be well stocked.  After loading the car, I sanitized my gloves.  Wiped all boxes/bags as I emptied the car, sanitized the car.  We should be good now and won't need to make another trip for quite a while.  Stay safe everyone.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

My husband said that the WalMart nearest us is doing a senior thing for one hour in the am on Tuesdays only.  I cannot remember the time - it was like from 6am to 7am or something like that.

Anyway, he said the first Tuesday they did it, it was pretty good and no crowds early on.  The second one (this week) he said he got there just before the hour began and there was a huge line.   Also, lots of empty shelves so either it's not great or they are doing a craptacular job of it in that particular store.

Me - I get up at about 7:15 to take care of the dog and I don't usually go anywhere until around 11, so I haven't checked out any of this.

I did manage to get some Dave's Good Seed bread at my grocery store the other day so I was glad for that.  Oddly, they didn't have the regular sized ones, just the smaller bread.   I really like this one and the birdies do, too.  Too bad that Orowheat messed up the 'Seeds the Day' bread.  That one was really great when it was owned by a smaller bakery and then, for a short while, after Orowheat purchased them.  Now, I guess I'm a Dave's Killer Bread girl.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt Whole Foods has a wonderful multi seeded bread, house brand, that I stock up on when I'm near one.  I can't remember the name but it is their house brand and it is fabulous! 

Valued Contributor

Costco has senior times?  I need to check if my Costco is doing that.  I drove 30 miles to the nearest Costco.  When I arrived and saw the line around the corner, I thought, "ugh!"

I was so impressed with their effort to keep customers safe. They had tape marking 6' intervals where customers stood.  The line went fairly fast.  Once inside, it was easy to social distance as fewer customers were allowed inside.  The staff sanitized the checkout conveyer belt after each shopper and then loaded my stuff onto the belt.  

Their approach to social distancing and health was the best I'd experienced during this pandemic.  Unfortunately, they were out of some items.  I especially needed disposable gloves but, I am not sure when or if they will be available.  Once again, love "my" Costco.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

My husband said that the WalMart nearest us is doing a senior thing for one hour in the am on Tuesdays only.  I cannot remember the time - it was like from 6am to 7am or something like that.

Anyway, he said the first Tuesday they did it, it was pretty good and no crowds early on.  The second one (this week) he said he got there just before the hour began and there was a huge line.   Also, lots of empty shelves so either it's not great or they are doing a craptacular job of it in that particular store.

Me - I get up at about 7:15 to take care of the dog and I don't usually go anywhere until around 11, so I haven't checked out any of this.

I did manage to get some Dave's Good Seed bread at my grocery store the other day so I was glad for that.  Oddly, they didn't have the regular sized ones, just the smaller bread.   I really like this one and the birdies do, too.  Too bad that Orowheat messed up the 'Seeds the Day' bread.  That one was really great when it was owned by a smaller bakery and then, for a short while, after Orowheat purchased them.  Now, I guess I'm a Dave's Killer Bread girl.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt Whole Foods has a wonderful multi seeded bread, house brand, that I stock up on when I'm near one.  I can't remember the name but it is their house brand and it is fabulous! 

Thank You!  Smiley Happy   I don't get there often but knowing that is very helpful.   It seems like it would be easier to get a nice, organic, whole grain, bread with seeds.  Used to be, anyway until Orowheat killed off that one.  I do like the Killer Dave products but they are quite thinly sliced, in comparison, and that was something I had to get used to.  Other than that I really do like the  'Good Seed' variety and it's very much like what the old 'Seeds the Day' used to be.

Happy day!  

Valued Contributor

Glad to hear that those who went to Costco had a better experience than my Parents did when they went to BJs on Tuesday during Senior Hour (8-9 am) - they got there at 7:45 and had to wait just a little while before they started letting people in (and yes they checked your ID to make sure you were over 60).

Once inside shelves were kinda bare - they did get 6 lbs of Hamburger meat, and package of steaks, very little dairy products (no butter, milk or yogurt - truck hadn't come yet), no TP or Kleenek only paper towels were BJs house brand (parents already had a hughe package of Bounty at home so that wasn't need but the TP was); don't think they had much in way of produce either.