Valued Contributor

Re: My post office is not complying

When the restaurants open and they allow only 50% of their usual capacity, I wonder if everyone will drop their masks to neck level, chow down, wipe their mouth and then place mask back over their mouth.  Man Surprised

I know I will be wearing a mask for a long, long time even when our officials say it's gone bye bye, uh ya right.....it's gone bye bye, uh huh sure.  

Trusted Contributor

I went to the post office today in NY and the woman did have a mask and there were signs on the door that we had to wear them. I can totally see them taking them off once in a while if they aren't near people. I went grocery shopping today and boy was I hot and uncomfortable after about an hour in the store. Yuck.

Honored Contributor

While I can understand the concern, I'm much more invested in keeping our postal service from being privatized.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I am at our local post office five days a week.  They put up a somewhat clear shower curtain that hangs from the ceiling down to the counter area, but leaves about a foot open to pass things under.  None of the clerks wear masks.  They put stickers on the floor to keep people separated in line.  At least half of the customers I see in line have masks on.  I am not one of them.  But I do wash my hands when I get home and don't touch my face on the way.  But frankly, the virus could be on the reciept I am handed and I could see it being passed that way to me, or even when I use the credit card machine, or when I get cash back.

When I was at the Post Office this week they had the shower curtain up also.  Nobody wears a mask....lot's of the people going in there do.  As far as I know it isn't a mandatory thing in my state....yet.  And perhaps it's not mandatory for postal workers either.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep hearing about the clear shower curtain as  a shield.

In my area they use plexiglass. 

Respected Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

The rule in NY is you must wear a face covering if you're not 6 feet apart and it's required in shops. You are pretty close to the person behind the counter at the post office and the shield is only partial, as I stated. They go to the unshielded side to take your package from you, allowing plenty of space to spew virus particles while talking to you. I don't understand why they are not complying with the rules set out for ALL of society, not just those who feel like it. I look at it this way, if we all do stupid things like going close to others with no face cover, the spread will increase. Everyone should follow the rules. New Rochelle was and still is a hot spot. I think people who don't follow the rules are truly irresponsible idiots with no consideration for anyone else's welfare. I wonder if they will feel stupid or sorry when they get the virus and go to the hospital, knowing they did nothing at all to prevent it.

Everyone is required to be 6 feet apart regardless if it's in the street, grocery store, post office.  Don't know what you mean "they go to the unshielded side to take your parcel from you".  Post offices have counters.  I picked up a parcel yesterday from the post office.  No problem.  You seem to be inserting how you want it to be rather than how it really is.  Unless where you live is mandated everywhere to wear masks, it is what it is.  You are also making unkind, unsubstantiated comments about others.  We are all afraid of the unknown, not just you.  But common sense has to be in the forefront.

I already stated it is a rule where I live to wear a mask in stores etc. I also already stated the shield is partial. So I can explain that in case you don't get it. It covers a partial length of the counter top. Obviously they have to have an open area to pass the packages. So the postal worker inserts their face in the uncovered area to receive the parcel and talk, at length, uncovered for all to get infected. If you don't understand the spread of the virus with uncovered faces, I am so sorry for you. Good luck.

Super Contributor

In some cases if they kept the mask on you would be complaining about not understanding her. In some cases we need to remember any way it goes they are  sacrificing their health doing a job you are complaiinng about. The mask is no longer safe once you touch it by some standards. I am a parent of a postal worker and some of the things i read on this blog keep me praying for him. I surely hope that the job he does for strangers, is a service that some time get over look. They can only do so much and there will always be someone who think more can be done, think of others when they have to wear  it 8  hours or more and you wearing it a few minutes at a time. Think of them and how they feel about what they have to deal with, those mask are hot.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

The rule in NY is you must wear a face covering if you're not 6 feet apart and it's required in shops. You are pretty close to the person behind the counter at the post office and the shield is only partial, as I stated. They go to the unshielded side to take your package from you, allowing plenty of space to spew virus particles while talking to you. I don't understand why they are not complying with the rules set out for ALL of society, not just those who feel like it. I look at it this way, if we all do stupid things like going close to others with no face cover, the spread will increase. Everyone should follow the rules. New Rochelle was and still is a hot spot. I think people who don't follow the rules are truly irresponsible idiots with no consideration for anyone else's welfare. I wonder if they will feel stupid or sorry when they get the virus and go to the hospital, knowing they did nothing at all to prevent it.

Everyone is required to be 6 feet apart regardless if it's in the street, grocery store, post office.  Don't know what you mean "they go to the unshielded side to take your parcel from you".  Post offices have counters.  I picked up a parcel yesterday from the post office.  No problem.  You seem to be inserting how you want it to be rather than how it really is.  Unless where you live is mandated everywhere to wear masks, it is what it is.  You are also making unkind, unsubstantiated comments about others.  We are all afraid of the unknown, not just you.  But common sense has to be in the forefront.

I already stated it is a rule where I live to wear a mask in stores etc. I also already stated the shield is partial. So I can explain that in case you don't get it. It covers a partial length of the counter top. Obviously they have to have an open area to pass the packages. So the postal worker inserts their face in the uncovered area to receive the parcel and talk, at length, uncovered for all to get infected. If you don't understand the spread of the virus with uncovered faces, I am so sorry for you. Good luck.

Um, if you are not following the "rule" as you call it and "talk at length" less than 6 ft away from each other...it is you who does not understand.  No "mask" has magic powers.  Feel sorry for me?  😂😂😂😂

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

at the main post office that i use, the postal worker does not have to insert their face into the uncovered area. there is a thick clear shower curtain type of covering and you can easily hear them. all you have to do is push the package or mail underneath the open area. all information and pricing pops up onto the electronic screen.

just a note that if anyone feels uncomfortable going into a post office (whether they are wearing masks or not), most of their services can be accessed online, including pickup of packages.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

@ladyann45 wrote:

In some cases if they kept the mask on you would be complaining about not understanding her. In some cases we need to remember any way it goes they are  sacrificing their health doing a job you are complaiinng about. The mask is no longer safe once you touch it by some standards. I am a parent of a postal worker and some of the things i read on this blog keep me praying for him. I surely hope that the job he does for strangers, is a service that some time get over look. They can only do so much and there will always be someone who think more can be done, think of others when they have to wear  it 8  hours or more and you wearing it a few minutes at a time. Think of them and how they feel about what they have to deal with, those mask are hot.

❤️❤️

Most of us are so appreciative, grateful for your son and the work he is doing.  Which is so valunable and truly matters.  I cannot imagine what he and others must deal with,  that is why it is so important now to relay gratitude, thank you.  Thank you for speaking out for your son🙏