Respected Contributor

My post office is not complying

Yesterday I went to the post office to drop off a few packages. They had put up partial plastic shields and had signs saying we must distance from other customers and only 3 at a time allowed in. The two postal workers I saw did NOT have anything covering their nose or mouth. Both had a covering lowered to their chin. I found this appalling and alarming. Not only are they exposing the customers but also all the mail they are handling. So be extra extra cautious with any and all mail and packages you receive, people may be breathing all over it. I really thought a government agency would be in compliance. This is in New Rochelle NY. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My post office is not complying

I think the plastic shield should be protection enough.  Gosh - you got to have a  big sneeze to violate that.

Esteemed Contributor

I am at our local post office five days a week.  They put up a somewhat clear shower curtain that hangs from the ceiling down to the counter area, but leaves about a foot open to pass things under.  None of the clerks wear masks.  They put stickers on the floor to keep people separated in line.  At least half of the customers I see in line have masks on.  I am not one of them.  But I do wash my hands when I get home and don't touch my face on the way.  But frankly, the virus could be on the reciept I am handed and I could see it being passed that way to me, or even when I use the credit card machine, or when I get cash back.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

There are still no cases in the town where I live and the postal workers wear face masks and gloves plus have the protective shield at service window.

Honored Contributor

Nothing on this earth is germ, bacteria or virus free.  And nothing we humans can do will give us 100% protection.  

Just take precautions for yourself.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Yesterday I went to the post office to drop off a few packages. They had put up partial plastic shields and had signs saying we must distance from other customers and only 3 at a time allowed in. The two postal workers I saw did NOT have anything covering their nose or mouth. Both had a covering lowered to their chin. I found this appalling and alarming. Not only are they exposing the customers but also all the mail they are handling. So be extra extra cautious with any and all mail and packages you receive, people may be breathing all over it. I really thought a government agency would be in compliance. This is in New Rochelle NY. 

They are following protocol.  What other measures in your area are they supposed to be adhering to that they are not?  What you described is what is required in my area.   What about the mail in your mailbox, all the people handling items wherever you shop.  Packing your groceries, There is so much out of everyone's control with this virus.  Each of us has to be diligent in our own spaces, where we shop and what we bring into our homes. And how we clean, disinfect such.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy LipsPlease keep in mind that the mask you wear is probably more for the protection of others around you than to protect you.  None of us unless maybe we were just tested knows whether we're carriers.

Respected Contributor

The rule in NY is you must wear a face covering if you're not 6 feet apart and it's required in shops. You are pretty close to the person behind the counter at the post office and the shield is only partial, as I stated. They go to the unshielded side to take your package from you, allowing plenty of space to spew virus particles while talking to you. I don't understand why they are not complying with the rules set out for ALL of society, not just those who feel like it. I look at it this way, if we all do stupid things like going close to others with no face cover, the spread will increase. Everyone should follow the rules. New Rochelle was and still is a hot spot. I think people who don't follow the rules are truly irresponsible idiots with no consideration for anyone else's welfare. I wonder if they will feel stupid or sorry when they get the virus and go to the hospital, knowing they did nothing at all to prevent it.

Respected Contributor

I refuse to criticize the USPS frontline workers. I am so grateful they are providing services. In my PO, you do a little dance to drop packages. They step back, you step forward and put the stuff on the couter, then step back and they step forward and process them. I call it the Postal Minuet.

Can't even remember if they wore masks. There was a clear barrier. It's fine by me. 

Honored Contributor

I've read from numerous medical sources online that it is highly unlikely to catch the virus from mail.