Honored Contributor

Re: My niece just swallowed a magnet...

@Bird mamawrote:

If anyone is interested - this is from an ER physician's website

Rare Earth Magnets
Initially found in building toys for children and then marketed as adult desk toys under such names as “Buckyballs”, “Zen Magnets”, “Neocube”, “Nanodots”, and others, rare earth magnets are sold in sets of hundreds of 3-6mm spheres or cubes. Rare earth magnets consist of alloys of neodymium, iron, boron, or samarium cobalt and are at least 5-10 times stronger than traditional iron magnets. Due to their powerful attractive force, an ingested neodymium magnet is capable of repositioning intestines and finding another magnet or piece of metal through up to 6 layers of bowel wall leading to serious consequences such as ulceration, necrosis, perforation, fistulae, volvulus, obstruction, and peritonitis.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Ask what the size was.  If small enough, objects kids swallow are usually passed in a bowel movement. 

@Noel7

She said it was the size of a fingernail.

Respected Contributor

Keeping your niece in my prayers!  Hoping all goes well for her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KitTkat, I hope all goes well for her.  Sending prayers and good thoughts her way.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

The oldest of my two brothers was always swallowing something.  He swallowed countless coins, a bureau knob and small toys.  He drove my mother crazy.

As long as it wasn’t anything sharp, he was always sent home from the ER and had to use a portable potty until it passed.  I mother would have to check at every BM  to see if it did indeed pass.

i think that if you swallow more than one magnet, they have to be retrieved by a surgical procedure.  Only one magnet, small in size will probably pass.  An x-ray will tell, hopefully, she only swallowed one.

Honored Contributor

@KitTkatwrote:
@Noel7 wrote:

Ask what the size was.  If small enough, objects kids swallow are usually passed in a bowel movement. 

@Noel7

She said it was the size of a fingernail.

@KitTkat

I'm crossing my fingers something that small will pass through her!  And fast.

Honored Contributor

@KitTkat  We're going to think positive about it.  I'm on Eastern Standard Time so the post times I'm seeing on my computer are showing up as after  7pm. 

If your niece is in my time zone, she probably has supper on her stomach at this time of day so there is something in there with the magnet.  ER doctors can do wonders in getting a patient to give up what in their stomach with different medicines.

Five will get me 10, they will induce your niece to throw up.

What a blessing she has attentive parents who noticed it as soon as it happened.

My nieces were perpetually putting things up their noses when they were small.  If it wasn't a raisin, it was some kind of craft bead.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@KitTkat Omgosh....I am shocked reading this news... I had no idea. I'm sorry @KitTkat - I'll wait/pray to hear you report back... poor little girl.... Heart

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

I hope she is ok. ER’s can be scary for little ones. And your sister has enough on her plate being pregnant.

Kids are funny though. What would possess one to eat a magnet the size of a fingernail. I don’t mean to make light of it, it’s just mind boggling to an adult 

Honored Contributor

@scatcat  I wondered the same thing every time one of my nieces shoved something up their noses.  Kids being kids.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise