Trusted Contributor

My niece just swallowed a magnet...

I just got a message from my sister that my 5 year old niece just swallowed a magnet. She called it an earth magnet. I was unfamiliar with that term so I looked it up. My sister is pregnant and very sick, so my bro-in-law is rushing my niece to the ER. I'm not sure what they will do for her. I read an article that said surgery might be performed. 😦 hopefully she'll just throw it up.

Respected Contributor

Re: My niece just swallowed a magnet...

Pediatricians say magnets, batteries, pins are all bad to swallow and they have to go in and get them, meaning surgery.  Probably surgery.  Hope it goes well for the little girl.

Honored Contributor

@KitTkatwrote:

I just got a message from my sister that my 5 year old niece just swallowed a magnet. She called it an earth magnet. I was unfamiliar with that term so I looked it up. My sister is pregnant and very sick, so my bro-in-law is rushing my niece to the ER. I'm not sure what they will do for her. I read an article that said surgery might be performed. 😦 hopefully she'll just throw it up.

Ask what the size was.  If small enough, objects kids swallow are usually passed in a bowel movement. 

Honored Contributor

@KitTkat  Oooh, I was going to say just let her poo it out until I read what an earth magnet is.  I'll pray that they can get her to throw it up.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

ER is the right place for her at this moment.  The doctors will figure out what to do.

Honored Contributor

If anyone is interested - this is from an ER physician's website

Rare Earth Magnets
Initially found in building toys for children and then marketed as adult desk toys under such names as “Buckyballs”, “Zen Magnets”, “Neocube”, “Nanodots”, and others, rare earth magnets are sold in sets of hundreds of 3-6mm spheres or cubes. Rare earth magnets consist of alloys of neodymium, iron, boron, or samarium cobalt and are at least 5-10 times stronger than traditional iron magnets. Due to their powerful attractive force, an ingested neodymium magnet is capable of repositioning intestines and finding another magnet or piece of metal through up to 6 layers of bowel wall leading to serious consequences such as ulceration, necrosis, perforation, fistulae, volvulus, obstruction, and peritonitis.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama

Ohhhh☹ I'm thankful you took the time to look this info up, but now I wish I hadn't read it. 😣

Respected Contributor

can you get to your sister's house? - she might need hand-holding , especially in her condition.

Honored Contributor

@KitTkat Prayers for you and your sister’s family. Your niece is going to the right place for help.🙏🏻

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KitTkat .   Good thing they went to the ER right away....batteries can cause a lot of damage to the throat and surrounding area.  Hope it all turns out OK!