Esteemed Contributor

Re: My next door neighbor is obsessed with leaves

My DH can no longer rake leaves or mow the lawn ... my son comes once a week all summer and fall to do this, usually on a Saturday or Sunday.  

This past week has been particularly windy and we have leaves to beat the band.   My passive-agressive neighbor called me and casually said she had driven by my house and noticed all the leaves ... I said "yeah, and so ... ?"  She then changed the subject ... toward the end of our conversation, I asked ... "oh, what did you say about our leaves?"   She ended the call ... I smiled.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a neighbor obsessed with acorns. Elderly lady with shop vac walking up and down/to and fro in rows on her front lawn. Almost daily. Two maple trees. I used to think, "for goodness sake just have your lawn guys power rake them!" I think she wanted to save $. After 2 bouts with COVID she gave up on this yard task and now a woman up the street who runs a day care brings a team of children with 5 gallon buckets to pick up the acorns by hand.

Meanwhile, the squirrels are running around with giant question marks over their heads wondering what's going on...

Honored Contributor

@SoX  Your neighbor was so rude to say that. You should have said "Oh thanks, are you offering to clean them up?"

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

I think she got my drift ... she knows my husband is relatively disabled and that my son takes care of our outdoor cleaning as well as his own.  She backed off the minute I said ... "and so?", meaning "none of your business"  in my parlance.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This thread is so apropo to me.  My DH is also obsessed with leaves.  All summer he was obsessed with pine cones, he would go out every day with his bucket and pick up the pine cones. We have tall pine trees all around and in the front yard, along with oak, maple, and some trees I don't know what they are.  We actually had 4 SweetGum trees cut down this fall because they made such a mess and were partially dead.   Now, its the leaves, he's actually outside blowing leaves as I type, for the second time today.  We have a paved driveway that I will blow the leaves off with my electric blower from time to time, but he generally uses his gas blower. 

We live on a cul de sac and there are 4 houses right here together and alllllllll are obsessed with the leaves.  My across the street neighbor has the most annoying sounding shrill electric blower, he is out every morning at 8 and then later in the day and he's young with a family.  DH's other obsession, dusting the car off with the California Car Duster daily, and if we go anywhere in the car, it gets dusted off when we get home, sadly we don't have a garage.  I guess there are worse obsessions to have.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   I know what you mean...we have a neighbor across the street - he is also obsessed or just bored.  

He has not worked for years and just turned 65 this year....he is healthy and needs/wants to stay busy so EVERY day he puts on 'work clothes' and works outside almost all day long.

They are nice people and would help with something if we  asked but the constant mowing in the summer followed by blowing the grass gets old after a while - he even does outside work on Sunday mornings.  Then when fall comes he rakes and blows the leaves.

Years ago his daughter told me when she was growing up her parents rarely played with them, they always had work to do around the house and she hoped to be more balanced as a parent...and I understand what she was talking about, I dont think he can sit still.

We would never say anthing either, they are nice people and we could have gotten lousy neighbors....like you just venting.

Respected Contributor

The leaf blowers are always a heated subject on my  Nextdoor App.  So many people complain that it starts so early, around here about 8 a.m. and goes on all day.  Some complain that they are working at home, in meetings and the leaf blowers make it difficult to do their work.  We have a lawn company and they do our neighbors too, thank goodness.  Because, honestly, all they do blow the leaves from him yard, to ours and then behind us into the woods.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bet it is annoying, but the other side of the coin is a neighbor who couldn't care less about their yard- I had one of those ( ie, garbage dump) and I bet it was worse than leaf-OCD!  

Honored Contributor

@sunsetbeach wrote:

This thread is so apropo to me.  My DH is also obsessed with leaves.  All summer he was obsessed with pine cones, he would go out every day with his bucket and pick up the pine cones. We have tall pine trees all around and in the front yard, along with oak, maple, and some trees I don't know what they are.  We actually had 4 SweetGum trees cut down this fall because they made such a mess and were partially dead.   Now, its the leaves, he's actually outside blowing leaves as I type, for the second time today.  We have a paved driveway that I will blow the leaves off with my electric blower from time to time, but he generally uses his gas blower. 

We live on a cul de sac and there are 4 houses right here together and alllllllll are obsessed with the leaves.  My across the street neighbor has the most annoying sounding shrill electric blower, he is out every morning at 8 and then later in the day and he's young with a family.  DH's other obsession, dusting the car off with the California Car Duster daily, and if we go anywhere in the car, it gets dusted off when we get home, sadly we don't have a garage.  I guess there are worse obsessions to have.

@sunsetbeach   Are you on my street?  LOL!  We also have several pine trees that drop pine cones and DH was obsessed with picking them up.  At one time I tried making a pine cone wreath but that was long ago.

I'm also on a cul de sac and yes my next door neighbor (who I mentioned in the OP) is out every day around 8am for at least an hour then some days he's back later in the day doing more.

He's young with three young boys aged 7-13 ....he should put them to work!  They put in a very large multi level patio out back that they never use since they are always out with their kids doing sports....but that patio has to be cleaned off every day.  I just laugh to myself!

Honored Contributor

Our neighbor vacuums his driveway.