Honored Contributor

My next door neighbor is obsessed with leaves

Every morning throughout the fall season he's out there for at least an hour with his leaf blower clearing off the driveway and yard.

It's loud and obnoxious.  The thing that gets me is that he will blow the leaves over to our yard.  Since we've been in this house now for over thirty years all of the trees are fully mature with TONS of leaves!  So you can imagine the thick carpet of leaves here. 

They look nice up to a point.  My DH is somewhat disabled and can no longer do much yard work so we have been having our lawn service mulch leaves each week which clears the lawn for a while.  The last week or so we'll have him clean out the flower beds and around the walkways of leaves.

Anyway I just wanted to vent.....I'm not going to say anything to my neighbor because other than this they have been great neighbors and have been very helpful in many ways.

Honored Contributor

Re: My next door neighbor is obsessed with leaves

We have one of them.

Honored Contributor

My DH is compulsive about the leaves.  We have a bunch of big oak trees and leaves galore this time of year.  He says leaving them sit for a length of time will kill the grass underneath, so he's out there several times a week, but usually in the afternoon. 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

My neighborhood is leaf blower central, can't even enjoy the unusually warm weather at home while having to listen to that. Lawn service or owner, it's constant.

One neighbor has spent thousands of dollars taking down all his trees just because of leaves, I only know because he told me that.I have leaves everywhere and I haven't taken out my electric blower once. I'm sure it might upset the leaf obsessed neighbors that my property looks like that, if it does that makes me happy 😁 I have to skip my paid leaf cleanup this year to save the money 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

There is a school of thought that leaving your leaves is better for your lawn and the environment. Google it if you're interested. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

My neighbor across the street is like that - you never ever see one leaf on his lawn.

Same with my next door neighbor.  She gets leaves from my yard in hers and it annoys her but that's life.

I do the same - my grass guy is still coming - just mows the leaves and mulches them.  He blew the leaves out of the shrubs and flower beds this week and he'll do it again end of the month.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9  If your neighbor raked the leaves manually, I bet he wouldn't be so obsessed with the leaves. He would irritate me too.

Respected Contributor

I know that neighbor. 😄

Honored Contributor

My husband used to be that obsessive over leaves in the fall, but he raked and burned them.  Am sure the neighbors below, and behind us, loved the smoke from our fires.  

Over the last 5 years, we have been forced to make the decision to take down all of our trees due to lightening strikes, root issues from not having enough room to grow, and disease.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 Does your next door neighbor have any trees on his property? I am sorry that you have a neighbor that is so annoying and loud. Sadly, he isn't going to change. So let the leaves bother him and you have other things to occupy your thoughts.

We have a big tree and a Japanese Maple in our front yard. Our neighbor was 93 so we raked his lawn because he would end up with many of our leaves.

We were away for 2 weeks so every inch of our front yard was covered in leaves. My son came home late last night - it was a big playoff night with the Phillies and the Union. He got up at 8 AM and started to rake the front yard. He didn't want to use the leaf blower because of the hour. He filled 9 trash cans with leaves. 

At 10:30AM it started to rain. I just looked at our front yard. Honestly it looks like the yard looked before he started to rake.