Esteemed Contributor

Re: My newly redesigned classroom is looking great!

Oh it sounds great. When I was in 2nd grade I had a really enthusiastic young(er) teacher. I remember thinking how pretty and cool she was. When you walked into her classroom it was like a little cocoon. It was so nice, welcoming and brightly colored and everything had its place. For a neat freak like me, even as a child, it was so calming. When things are out of place and messy, it just gets so chaotic in my head and I feel out of control. Until this day I still remember how much I loved being in that room. When I was younger, I would get a little anxious being around disorder and clutter and this teacher and her classroom was the first one I had where I felt relaxed and excited to learn. The first two months of my kindergarten class were really traumatic for me and it took me a while to get into the groove after that. My kindergarten teacher until she was fired was bipolar and an alcoholic who drank during class. Of course I didn't know that at the time but we were all really afraid of her as she was very verbally abusive and physically abusive as well. We were just little kids and she turned it around on us and kept threatening to tell our parents how bad we had been. We thought we were doing something wrong and were just terrified of her. A teacher next to her had walked in when she was having one of her tirades and was swearing at us. That teacher went immediately to report it and then we were called in with our parents to talk about it. We were all still afraid we would get in trouble so it took a little prying until we told what was happening. She was fired pretty quickly and then we were replaced with a really nice teacher. I remember being so terrified to go to school and crying in the car before she was replaced. It was so bad I started wetting my bed. It took a bit to get over that and feel like I could trust a teacher. My mom told me when I got older that a couple of months after she had been fired, she was driving drunk and hit a car with a mom, dad and a toddler in it and killed the father and herself.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer. I don't think of that often but for some reason talking about the classroom decorated made me think of it. She had absolutely no decorations or anything kid friendly at all.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

What a nice person you are to do this. We need more teachers like you. Congratulations on your classroom.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Wow, Irish.  That is an awful story.  I work in a low-income district where many of our students come from some pretty sad situations.  I try to think about how I can maybe add a little bit of happy to their day.  I hope that someday my kidlets will look back on their younger years and have good memories of my class.  

I teach - what's your superpower?
Esteemed Contributor

@brownponytail80 wrote:

Wow, Irish.  That is an awful story.  I work in a low-income district where many of our students come from some pretty sad situations.  I try to think about how I can maybe add a little bit of happy to their day.  I hope that someday my kidlets will look back on their younger years and have good memories of my class.  

You sound like an awesome teacher. That you worry how you can brighten their day and make their classroom something that they like to come to and be proud of. They will remember that like I did. It makes a big difference.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

What age range do you teach?

Honored Contributor

@brownponytail80 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

If you are proud of the redesign of your classroom, you really should post an after photo with maybe an explanation of the before.

I'm sure with the threads you started about the redesign, I'm positive many want to see the finished product.

I wish I could post pics, but you and I both know they would be used for nefarious purposes here. 

Why would anyone use a small picture of a kids' classroom for nefarious purposes? What do you mean? It doesn't show a child or any revealing information. Even if you just did one picture of part of the wall, I think that would be nice, especially since you've been talking about it for awhile now. Some people probably have been looking forward to the final product.

Super Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

What age range do you teach?

Elementary -- specifically 1st grade.

Super Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@brownponytail80 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

If you are proud of the redesign of your classroom, you really should post an after photo with maybe an explanation of the before.

I'm sure with the threads you started about the redesign, I'm positive many want to see the finished product.

I wish I could post pics, but you and I both know they would be used for nefarious purposes here. 

Why would anyone use a small picture of a kids' classroom for nefarious purposes? What do you mean? It doesn't show a child or any revealing information. Even if you just did one picture of part of the wall, I think that would be nice, especially since you've been talking about it for awhile now. Some people probably have been looking forward to the final product.

I'm not sure why you think it would be a "small" picture....

Perhaps because I will have pictures of my classroom elsewhere on the internet with personal information tied to it that some people here should never know?

Esteemed Contributor

I think you are doing the right thing in NOT posting pictures of your classroom.  I think the school district would probably agree with your decision. 

Super Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I think you are doing the right thing in NOT posting pictures of your classroom.  I think the school district would probably agree with your decision. 

There are many places where teachers post pictures of their classrooms to give other teachers some inspiratation and ideas for their own classroom.  I don't see any school district having problems with a teacher posting pictures of what her classroom decor/organization looks like.  I won't do it here because there are weird people here.