Respected Contributor

Re: My neighbor the squirrel killer

A little off topic but I used to work for a woman, and one day she was discussing a  ground hog in her yard.  She said her husband would trap them and then drown them in a garbage can. 

I never liked that woman and her hubbie must have been a real class act.   Woman Mad

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

1. i@PamfromCT wrote:

This man sounds really scary.  We use squirrel-proof bird feeders, but would never, ever think of hurting an innocent animal.  Who in their right mind would?  There is a theory that some very bad people started as animal killers.  Please stay away from him for your safety.  Let the authorities handle it.

Bless you for your loving concern for these little creatures.

It’s not a theory. It’s based on evidence from studies of serial killers and serial rapists and other violent offenders. It’s called the McDonald Triad, childhood behaviors which include bed-wetting, animal torture or mistreatment and fire-setting. I’d definitely steer clear of this guy. I’d never confront this person. He also displays callousness as he did with his wife’s cancer and her dependency on him. This is another attribute of violent offenders and offenders with antisocial personality disorder (also called sociopathy—See The Disagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, also called the DSM-V) or psychopathy

(according to Hare’s Psychcopathy Checklist a quick use diagnostic tool)

for a recent survey of the literature on the Triad see

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29631500

@Mindy D 

There was a local news story about this topic and a judge shared her experiences and backed up the evidence.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

We take care of our squirrels here even in death.

Grave of Shorty the Squirrel

Field review by the editors.

Tyler, Texas

Died 1963

Pet Cemetery.

Shorty lived outside the Smith County courthouse for 15 years. He was a panhandler and a beggar, but beloved by the town -- and particularly by Miss Geneva Pillow, who fed him daily.

The citizens of Tyler honored Shorty with free medical care, a special pedestrian crossing, and a lower speed limit on Broadway -- all with the goal of prolonging his life. But no squirrel lives forever (or even for very long) and Shorty died in 1963.

He was buried in a park across the street from the courthouse, his grave surrounded by a brick wall, marked by a Georgia granite headstone engraved with his likeness. A replacement squirrel was quickly run over by a car (another testament to Shorty's genius for survival). With no one to fill his snack-grubbing shoes, Shorty's legend grew. Paul Harvey told his story on the radio. He became even more famous in death than in life.

After a rough patch in the 1990s, when Shorty's tombstone was stolen twice and not recovered, a new marker was placed over his grave. We hope it's still there.

Shorty's grave.

This is a joke right?  

Nope.  I can see his grave site on our town square from my 10th floor office window.  My Mom took us to the fountain in the square a great deal in the late 60's early 70's to look at the colored water.  We always enjoyed visiting Shorty's grave.  He really did live in our downtown and they did bury him and still preserve his grave to this day @Shawnie 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

She'll kick him out soon enough!
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

We take care of our squirrels here even in death.

Grave of Shorty the Squirrel

Field review by the editors.

Tyler, Texas

Died 1963

Pet Cemetery.

Shorty lived outside the Smith County courthouse for 15 years. He was a panhandler and a beggar, but beloved by the town -- and particularly by Miss Geneva Pillow, who fed him daily.

The citizens of Tyler honored Shorty with free medical care, a special pedestrian crossing, and a lower speed limit on Broadway -- all with the goal of prolonging his life. But no squirrel lives forever (or even for very long) and Shorty died in 1963.

He was buried in a park across the street from the courthouse, his grave surrounded by a brick wall, marked by a Georgia granite headstone engraved with his likeness. A replacement squirrel was quickly run over by a car (another testament to Shorty's genius for survival). With no one to fill his snack-grubbing shoes, Shorty's legend grew. Paul Harvey told his story on the radio. He became even more famous in death than in life.

After a rough patch in the 1990s, when Shorty's tombstone was stolen twice and not recovered, a new marker was placed over his grave. We hope it's still there.

Shorty's grave.

This is a joke right?  

Nope.  I can see his grave site on our town square from my 10th floor office window.  My Mom took us to the fountain in the square a great deal in the late 60's early 70's to look at the colored water.  We always enjoyed visiting Shorty's grave.  He really did live in our downtown and they did bury him and still preserve his grave to this day @Shawnie 

In the mid seventies i was on the square several times working at Tyler Bank and Trust, i believe that was the name.  Biggest bank in town at that time.  But no one mentioned the squirrel.  LOL.