Honored Contributor

Re: My neighbor the squirrel killer

We take care of our squirrels here even in death.

Grave of Shorty the Squirrel

Field review by the editors.

Tyler, Texas

Died 1963

Pet Cemetery.

Shorty lived outside the Smith County courthouse for 15 years. He was a panhandler and a beggar, but beloved by the town -- and particularly by Miss Geneva Pillow, who fed him daily.

The citizens of Tyler honored Shorty with free medical care, a special pedestrian crossing, and a lower speed limit on Broadway -- all with the goal of prolonging his life. But no squirrel lives forever (or even for very long) and Shorty died in 1963.

He was buried in a park across the street from the courthouse, his grave surrounded by a brick wall, marked by a Georgia granite headstone engraved with his likeness. A replacement squirrel was quickly run over by a car (another testament to Shorty's genius for survival). With no one to fill his snack-grubbing shoes, Shorty's legend grew. Paul Harvey told his story on the radio. He became even more famous in death than in life.

After a rough patch in the 1990s, when Shorty's tombstone was stolen twice and not recovered, a new marker was placed over his grave. We hope it's still there.

Shorty's grave.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I doubt any HOA, if there is one, has a regulation that she cannot be living with an umarried partner.  Such a regulation would be tantamount to a morals clause dating back to when living together without marriage was illegal.  Sometime last century.

However, she is 100% liable for anything that may happen because I doubt she has him listed on her homeowner's insurance.

The shrub?  Only 4 inches isn't very much.  It will grow back.  Plus anything growing over a property line can be trimmed.  He may have done a lousy job but technically he did nothing wrong.

The ex-wife?  If he is ordered to pay then that is documented somewhere.  Since she has cancer, she had to have had something to show insurance to a doctor/clinic when she was diagnosed.  Somebody will have to begin an intervention for her.  Stories are not always accurate.

It sounds as though he is using her home as a place to flop until his house is sold and he very well may move on without her.

The squirrels will not become extinct.  They will simply avoid that yard knowing there is a predator (him) there.  Animals instinctively know where they can go safely. 

He is a bully, and it seems alcohol plays a part in his "bravado".  I wouldn't confront him but I certainly would speak my mind if he starts in on you.

The Wildlife Police will do what they can; 9-1-1 is your option if he threatens you or trespasses. 

Do not go onto her property. 

I understand concern for wildlife; but they will survive.

Good luck.  There is always one s-o-b in every neighborhood.

@Cakers3 

nothing to do with a morals clause...

If the woman owns the home and its only her name and the guy is not listed on the deed and not her spouse,  he's considered a roomer/boarder and some HOAs prohibit this, and some cities have laws restricting this. 

If she's a renter and if he wasnt added to the lease, she is in violation of her lease agreement and subject to eviction...Most landlords require approval even guests visiting temporarily...

@Spurt   I already said all of this.

The morals clause was to point out what somebody else said-about living together without benefit of marriage.  The person indicated that living together would be against HOA regulations, and that alone is not true.  Obviously there are legalities but that wasn't what was said.

And I've clarified the in's and out's of all of this, be it a homeowner or a renter.

I have an HOA and know the ropes; people just keep repeating what I've already posted. LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Have you seen him kill a squirrel or is he trapping and re-locating?  Squirrels are extremely destructive. I feel certain Animal Control will set him straight.   If I have a tree limb or bushes that encroach on someone's else's property they are well within their rights to remove the portion that is on their property.  It would have been nice if the two of you had a discussion first, but he's well within his rights.  We are very careful to trim things that start to go into a neighbors yard.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1. i@PamfromCT wrote:

This man sounds really scary.  We use squirrel-proof bird feeders, but would never, ever think of hurting an innocent animal.  Who in their right mind would?  There is a theory that some very bad people started as animal killers.  Please stay away from him for your safety.  Let the authorities handle it.

Bless you for your loving concern for these little creatures.

It’s not a theory. It’s based on evidence from studies of serial killers and serial rapists and other violent offenders. It’s called the McDonald Triad, childhood behaviors which include bed-wetting, animal torture or mistreatment and fire-setting. I’d definitely steer clear of this guy. I’d never confront this person. He also displays callousness as he did with his wife’s cancer and her dependency on him. This is another attribute of violent offenders and offenders with antisocial personality disorder (also called sociopathy—See The Disagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, also called the DSM-V) or psychopathy

(according to Hare’s Psychcopathy Checklist a quick use diagnostic tool)

for a recent survey of the literature on the Triad see

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29631500

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MoonieBaby wrote:

CALL THE AUTHORITIES EVERYDAY.

Menacing animals is STEP one, the next will be children and the elderly.

I'd be such a huge pain to the authorities that they would take care of my requests rather than listening to me call them everydamnday.

HOA FEES CAN BE WITHEHLD UNTIL THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT HIM AS WELL. JUST SAYIN.

Seriously, @MoonieBaby? This would be sound advice if you want to be put on the authorities' list of gadflys to ignore.

And I'm not sure the situation demands that the children and elderly need to shelter in place yet.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

we have too many. squirrels in our neighborhood...they have chewed off the edges of Hardiboard above our garage and other areas of our home.....when we go out to eat on the patio, they jump up on the table for a bite to eat....they are not afraid of us at all.....they empty our "squirrel-proof" bird feeder regularly.....rats with bushy tails.
It is illegal to trap or kill squirrels. You have done all you can do. I would avoid that guy...he sounds unstable and if he is moving to another house, just wait him out.....
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

We take care of our squirrels here even in death.

Grave of Shorty the Squirrel

Field review by the editors.

Tyler, Texas

Died 1963

Pet Cemetery.

Shorty lived outside the Smith County courthouse for 15 years. He was a panhandler and a beggar, but beloved by the town -- and particularly by Miss Geneva Pillow, who fed him daily.

The citizens of Tyler honored Shorty with free medical care, a special pedestrian crossing, and a lower speed limit on Broadway -- all with the goal of prolonging his life. But no squirrel lives forever (or even for very long) and Shorty died in 1963.

He was buried in a park across the street from the courthouse, his grave surrounded by a brick wall, marked by a Georgia granite headstone engraved with his likeness. A replacement squirrel was quickly run over by a car (another testament to Shorty's genius for survival). With no one to fill his snack-grubbing shoes, Shorty's legend grew. Paul Harvey told his story on the radio. He became even more famous in death than in life.

After a rough patch in the 1990s, when Shorty's tombstone was stolen twice and not recovered, a new marker was placed over his grave. We hope it's still there.

Shorty's grave.

This is a joke right?  

Respected Contributor

I think that man sounds mentally  off .

Respected Contributor

In my thoughts I think this is an individual to leave alone. Don't poke a stick at some people they may kill you. And he deffinately sounds a little leaning that way.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you need to stay away from this man and his girlfriend. Not because he is dangerous but because you need to MYOB and stay away from his property. Stop snooping in his garbage and recyclables. You know nothing about him and are making up stories and scenarios to feed your fantasies.  Then you are coming lhere and spewing your made up stories to get approval for your busybodiness, He has not killed anything and is trying to keep vermin away from his home.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown