Honored Contributor

Re: My neighbor the squirrel killer

@alarmclock wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I doubt any HOA, if there is one, has a regulation that she cannot be living with an umarried partner.  Such a regulation would be tantamount to a morals clause dating back to when living together without marriage was illegal.  Sometime last century.

However, she is 100% liable for anything that may happen because I doubt she has him listed on her homeowner's insurance.

The shrub?  Only 4 inches isn't very much.  It will grow back.  Plus anything growing over a property line can be trimmed.  He may have done a lousy job but technically he did nothing wrong.

The ex-wife?  If he is ordered to pay then that is documented somewhere.  Since she has cancer, she had to have had something to show insurance to a doctor/clinic when she was diagnosed.  Somebody will have to begin an intervention for her.  Stories are not always accurate.

It sounds as though he is using her home as a place to flop until his house is sold and he very well may move on without her.

The squirrels will not become extinct.  They will simply avoid that yard knowing there is a predator (him) there.  Animals instinctively know where they can go safely. 

He is a bully, and it seems alcohol plays a part in his "bravado".  I wouldn't confront him but I certainly would speak my mind if he starts in on you.

The Wildlife Police will do what they can; 9-1-1 is your option if he threatens you or trespasses. 

Do not go onto her property. 

I understand concern for wildlife; but they will survive.

Good luck.  There is always one s-o-b in every neighborhood.

The only thing I can see?  If she rents, you may have a chance.  He has to be on the lease or what is called a move in statement.

You cannot rent and just move other people in.

@alarmclock   Yes but her neighbor owns the house I believe?  Since she did contact the HOA they will know if it is a rental property or not. 

Even if she is renting, the real owner of the property would have to file a copy of the lease with the HOA and make sure that all is up to par, too.

That is what I was not sure about.  Does the nasty guy live with an owner or a renter?  If she rents, she cannot just move him in.  

@alarmclock   Right if she is a renter.  There is an HOA, however, and they would know if the lease is in just the neighbor's name or not.   Since the OP has contacted them already, they are aware he is there.

Unless he doesn't use that address.  Then she can just say he spends the night but doesn't live there.

That would not violate the lease unless it specifies no overnight "guests".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I doubt any HOA, if there is one, has a regulation that she cannot be living with an umarried partner.  Such a regulation would be tantamount to a morals clause dating back to when living together without marriage was illegal.  Sometime last century.

However, she is 100% liable for anything that may happen because I doubt she has him listed on her homeowner's insurance.

The shrub?  Only 4 inches isn't very much.  It will grow back.  Plus anything growing over a property line can be trimmed.  He may have done a lousy job but technically he did nothing wrong.

The ex-wife?  If he is ordered to pay then that is documented somewhere.  Since she has cancer, she had to have had something to show insurance to a doctor/clinic when she was diagnosed.  Somebody will have to begin an intervention for her.  Stories are not always accurate.

It sounds as though he is using her home as a place to flop until his house is sold and he very well may move on without her.

The squirrels will not become extinct.  They will simply avoid that yard knowing there is a predator (him) there.  Animals instinctively know where they can go safely. 

He is a bully, and it seems alcohol plays a part in his "bravado".  I wouldn't confront him but I certainly would speak my mind if he starts in on you.

The Wildlife Police will do what they can; 9-1-1 is your option if he threatens you or trespasses. 

The only thing I can see?  If she rents, you may have a chance.  He has to be on the lease or what is called a move in statement.

@alarmclock   Yes but her neighbor owns the house I believe?  Since she did contact the HOA they will know if it is a rental property or not. 

Even if she is renting, the real owner of the property would have to file a copy of the lease with the HOA and make sure that all is up to par, too.

That is what I was not sure about.  Does the nasty guy live with an owner or a renter?  If she rents, she cannot just move him in.  

@alarmclock   Right if she is a renter.  There is an HOA, however, and they would know if the lease is in just the neighbor's name or not.   Since the OP has contacted them already, they are aware he is there.

Unless he doesn't use that address.  Then she can just say he spends the night but doesn't live there.

That would not violate the lease unless it specifies no overnight "guests".

I am just talking about the owner [if the neighbor lady rents].  She cannot move anyone in without the permission of the owner.

If she did move him in without permission and that is his residence, she can be evicted, right?

Honored Contributor

@Tukey  Sorry you have to deal with this maniac. I just hope he does not hurt you if he gets mad at you....  crazy people do crazy things....

Trusted Contributor

It may be a long shot but are there any other wild animals that might be endangered in the area?

If so, he might not be able to set a trap for anything because the endangered animal may get trapped.

Having the trap set or not becomes moot.  He has to put it away.

[fingers crossed]

Esteemed Contributor

@Tukey     I have lots of squirrels. You may have them and they will drive him crazy!

Seriously, don’t worry about the squirrels but stay away from that man.

Respected Contributor

CALL THE AUTHORITIES EVERYDAY.

Menacing animals is STEP one, the next will be children and the elderly.

I'd be such a huge pain to the authorities that they would take care of my requests rather than listening to me call them everydamnday.

HOA FEES CAN BE WITHEHLD UNTIL THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT HIM AS WELL. JUST SAYIN.

Respected Contributor

Please be careful , he might hurt you. I am scared for his girlfriend he sounds like one of the real life shows called "Snapped". Please keep your distance. I am afraid for you.

Respected Contributor

I think that girl is in a real fix being with him. You are in my prayers dear girl.Don't try to make friends with her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tukey wrote:

I did email the HOA manager so not sure if they can do anything.   If this guy had 10 acres it would be his business unfortunately but he is basically deciding for the community to rid it of squirrels when many of us like them.

This guy is the type who is very loud and gets in your face, using very intimidating tactics.  He has crazy eyes. Talking to his girlfriend is no use because even though she is nice she is 58 and this guy is 44 and she is so thrilled to have this younger man you can tell he makes all the decisions including surrendering her dog.  I was encouraged when I heard him say that his house with his ex wife will be sold in June and they had put one offer on a house that fell through so I hope they move, but how many squirrels and chipmonks will be left.

Oh and his ex wife had cancer and had a complete mastectomy and hysterectomy and was recovering from that and he dumped her and moved in next to me.  There was a Go Fund Me post I saw where her friends were begging for money for her to finish her treatments because even though the separation agreement entitled her to stay on his insurance he wouldn't give her a card or information.  She was a Korean immigrant who was totally dependent on him so didn't really have skills to support herself right away.  Anyway, unfortunatey my neighbor decided he was Mr. Right.

Having read how he treated his wife tells me he is someone I would not want to get involved with in any way, shape or form. Definitely not a nice person.  Let the authorities deal with him now and you stay in the background, far away in the background.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@alarmclock ...It is almost impossible for a person or company renting property to others to know who or how many people are living in the dwelling.  Anyone can sign a lease and say only two people will live there, and then move a whole family in, people do it all the time, sadly.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam