Trusted Contributor

Re: My neighbor the squirrel killer

@Tallgal wrote:

Bless you for looking out for the squirrels and contacting the Wildlife Police.   Does your townhouse community have a Homeowner's Association?  Because there might be violations such as him living there and not being a homeowner and having a squirrel trap on his property.   For your own safety do not go on your neighbor's porch at 3 am or any other time because he might attack you or you might be arrested for trespassing. Stay strong!

He may also have cameras.

Honored Contributor

@Tukey   I am so sorry you have to witness this atrocity.  A trap on a front door step seems as though it could be hazardous.  Personally, I don't trust people who don't care to interact with animals.  What happened to your neighbor's dog.  It is best you leave it to the authorities, you were correct to inform them.  Too bad this neighbor is not sensitive to someone who wants to "whack" and get rid of animals....she is the one who has to live with the ingrate.  His attitude is disturbing.

Esteemed Contributor

This man sounds really scary.  We use squirrel-proof bird feeders, but would never, ever think of hurting an innocent animal.  Who in their right mind would?  There is a theory that some very bad people started as animal killers.  Please stay away from him for your safety.  Let the authorities handle it.

Bless you for your loving concern for these little creatures.

Trusted Contributor

I am going to pray they move out ASAP.

Also, keep yourself safe until then!

Contributor

This guy is scary and you are so sweet to try and help. Don't give up but don't put yourself in his path.  Unfortunately, of the two functional brain cells he has one is circling the drain.

Respected Contributor

We had squirrels every where in KY. Nobody I knew wanted them gone. My dogs would chase them up a tree and stand below the tree for awhile. Took them awhile to figure out they wouldn't come down.
He sounds Wierd trying to kill a squirrel. Stay away from him!
Respected Contributor

I hope this guy buys another home of his own and moves out so you can once again be at peace.  What a jerk.  I'm sorry I'm not your neighbor.  I too live in a townhome with an HOA, I'm not so sure you can depend on the HOA doing anything.  Seems to me having a trap on one's doorstep is a complete hazard and can't believe it would be legal.

You are smart to remain anonymous.  It's funny how the people who do nothing wrong and mind their own business have to suffer at the hands of ignorant strangers who only care about themselves. And you shouldn't have to confront him by yourself.  People like that are spiteful and will try and make you more miserable.  If you are in a townhome are there neighbors in any of the adjoining units who feel the same as you do?  In my townhome there are only 2 units, me and my neighbor.  I too wish I had a neighbor who was a friend.  I know what you mean about neighbors coming and going after all the years you've been there.  I've seen a lot of turnover in the short time I've lived here. 

Here's hoping he will move out and you get a nice quiet friendly neighbor to take their place.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I doubt any HOA, if there is one, has a regulation that she cannot be living with an umarried partner.  Such a regulation would be tantamount to a morals clause dating back to when living together without marriage was illegal.  Sometime last century.

However, she is 100% liable for anything that may happen because I doubt she has him listed on her homeowner's insurance.

The shrub?  Only 4 inches isn't very much.  It will grow back.  Plus anything growing over a property line can be trimmed.  He may have done a lousy job but technically he did nothing wrong.

The ex-wife?  If he is ordered to pay then that is documented somewhere.  Since she has cancer, she had to have had something to show insurance to a doctor/clinic when she was diagnosed.  Somebody will have to begin an intervention for her.  Stories are not always accurate.

It sounds as though he is using her home as a place to flop until his house is sold and he very well may move on without her.

The squirrels will not become extinct.  They will simply avoid that yard knowing there is a predator (him) there.  Animals instinctively know where they can go safely. 

He is a bully, and it seems alcohol plays a part in his "bravado".  I wouldn't confront him but I certainly would speak my mind if he starts in on you.

The Wildlife Police will do what they can; 9-1-1 is your option if he threatens you or trespasses. 

Do not go onto her property. 

I understand concern for wildlife; but they will survive.

Good luck.  There is always one s-o-b in every neighborhood.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Squirrels are smart little critters, and I don't think that guy is going to have a lot of luck trying to trap them. As long as they feel safe in your yard and have enough to eat, they will most likely stay away from that trap. I agree with the others - you should stay clear of it since it's on "their" front steps. Now, if he starts trying to kill them or poison them, then I think your county animal control would get very involved. Hang in there and pray that he moves out!

Respected Contributor

@Tukey   Good grief!  Hope for your sanity and safety he moves away very soon, well before the snow flies so you can enjoy your outside activities in peace.  

Please, even though you love the woodland creatures, don't set foot on his "lady love's" premises.  He is bad, very bad, news and the squirrels and chipmunks can't defend YOUR physical safety.