Super Contributor

My neighbor the squirrel killer

I have lived in the same townhome development for 14 years.  I have seen neighbors come and go.  Our homes back to woods and there have always been many squirrels and other wildlife running around.  I have learned to garden around them.  I love nature.  I had a new neighbor move in 4 years ago and all was fine til she moved in some guy she was dating from work.  He is a jerk.  All the landscaping here kinda slighly overlaps here as the houses are close together.  Boyfriend was affronted that my bush was over their side 4 inches.  It was no problem for her until he showed up and no problem for the past 2 families that lived in that house.  He hacked the shrub up.  It looks like ****** now.  

He hates animals.  I notice the dog she had when she moved in disappeared abruptly.  He complained about squirrels since day one.  I saw him pouring what looked like his urine around to keep them away.  I saw him trying to scare squirrels off my deck by waving his ballcap.  There was a groundhog living nearby and he wanted to "whack it with a shovel".  I have seen people throw peanuts to the squirrels as I do on occasion.  A lot of people with kids do this.  Sometimes the squirrels walk and dig in his mulch and he doesn't like it.  Well today I see a squirrel trap right on his front steps.  So, does this guy, who is not even a homeowner here, have the right to trap/kill squirrels so the rest of us can't enjoy them?  I overheard him telling another neighbor about house hunting and this house he had put an offer in on.  So is he going to get rid of all squirrels, leaving the rest of us with no wildlife to watch and me with a jacked up shrub?

It is illegal to trap wildlife in this state without a permit.  I called Wildlife Police and they verified no one in that house has the proper permit.  He is coming by to talk to them,.  It is out on the front step plain as day so he will see the trap.  I asked to remain anonymous, but I am afraid he will know it is me because we have butted heads on the subject before.  I am afraid of him he is nuts and judging by their outgoing recycling a heavy drinker.

I am tempted to spray squirrel repellent at 3am on the trap so nothing gets trapped.  I don't know what else to do.  It would just suck if he trapped and killed/removed a new mother with a nest of dependents.  This just sucks.  Thanks for reading.

Trusted Contributor

Re: My neighbor the squirrel killer

@Tukey wrote:

I have lived in the same townhome development for 14 years.  I have seen neighbors come and go.  Our homes back to woods and there have always been many squirrels and other wildlife running around.  I have learned to garden around them.  I love nature.  I had a new neighbor move in 4 years ago and all was fine til she moved in some guy she was dating from work.  He is a jerk.  All the landscaping here kinda slighly overlaps here as the houses are close together.  Boyfriend was affronted that my bush was over their side 4 inches.  It was no problem for her until he showed up and no problem for the past 2 families that lived in that house.  He hacked the shrub up.  It looks like ****** now.  

He hates animals.  I notice the dog she had when she moved in disappeared abruptly.  He complained about squirrels since day one.  I saw him pouring what looked like his urine around to keep them away.  I saw him trying to scare squirrels off my deck by waving his ballcap.  There was a groundhog living nearby and he wanted to "whack it with a shovel".  I have seen people throw peanuts to the squirrels as I do on occasion.  A lot of people with kids do this.  Sometimes the squirrels walk and dig in his mulch and he doesn't like it.  Well today I see a squirrel trap right on his front steps.  So, does this guy, who is not even a homeowner here, have the right to trap/kill squirrels so the rest of us can't enjoy them?  I overheard him telling another neighbor about house hunting and this house he had put an offer in on.  So is he going to get rid of all squirrels, leaving the rest of us with no wildlife to watch and me with a jacked up shrub?

It is illegal to trap wildlife in this state without a permit.  I called Wildlife Police and they verified no one in that house has the proper permit.  He is coming by to talk to them,.  It is out on the front step plain as day so he will see the trap.  I asked to remain anonymous, but I am afraid he will know it is me because we have butted heads on the subject before.  I am afraid of him he is nuts and judging by their outgoing recycling a heavy drinker.

I am tempted to spray squirrel repellent at 3am on the trap so nothing gets trapped.  I don't know what else to do.  It would just suck if he trapped and killed/removed a new mother with a nest of dependents.  This just sucks.  Thanks for reading.

Take pictures and videos.

If he threatens you, call 911.

Super Contributor

Bless you for looking out for the squirrels and contacting the Wildlife Police.   Does your townhouse community have a Homeowner's Association?  Because there might be violations such as him living there and not being a homeowner and having a squirrel trap on his property.   For your own safety do not go on your neighbor's porch at 3 am or any other time because he might attack you or you might be arrested for trespassing. Stay strong!

Honored Contributor

Squirrels and wildlife in general can do a lot of damage to homes and gardens, but that is what we put up with when we invade their space. I live in the woods so I know how much of a nuisance they can be. I would not confront a neighbor like yours, but I would not hesitate to defend myself and my property if he were to cross the line to my property and try to intimidate me. I would find out what the laws and rights are for the homeowner and protecting ones life and property from a trespasser.

Honored Contributor

I am not saying this with a tone or attitude, but I think you have notified the proper agency to look into the matter, and should stay out of it now.

Human urine will do nothing to keep squirrels away.   

Respected Contributor

No one is going to be able to trap all the squirrels!!!  Impossible!  Don’t sweat it or him.  You do know that squirrels are cute rats?  If they get in your attic they will eat your wiring and can cause house fires. They carry fleas among other things.  

Super Contributor

I did email the HOA manager so not sure if they can do anything.   If this guy had 10 acres it would be his business unfortunately but he is basically deciding for the community to rid it of squirrels when many of us like them.

This guy is the type who is very loud and gets in your face, using very intimidating tactics.  He has crazy eyes. Talking to his girlfriend is no use because even though she is nice she is 58 and this guy is 44 and she is so thrilled to have this younger man you can tell he makes all the decisions including surrendering her dog.  I was encouraged when I heard him say that his house with his ex wife will be sold in June and they had put one offer on a house that fell through so I hope they move, but how many squirrels and chipmonks will be left.

Oh and his ex wife had cancer and had a complete mastectomy and hysterectomy and was recovering from that and he dumped her and moved in next to me.  There was a Go Fund Me post I saw where her friends were begging for money for her to finish her treatments because even though the separation agreement entitled her to stay on his insurance he wouldn't give her a card or information.  She was a Korean immigrant who was totally dependent on him so didn't really have skills to support herself right away.  Anyway, unfortunatey my neighbor decided he was Mr. Right.

Super Contributor

I use Plantskyyd and other products to keep them out of my garden beds.  I am not inviting them here, but don't think they should be eradicated either.

Honored Contributor

@Tukey  What did the Animal Wildlife police do?  Did they not see the trap?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Anyone who hates animals and tries to harm them is a sub human low life.  Harsh, that is how I feel.  If this guy drinks he is even more dangerous.  I would not confront him but call the cops if he continues his sick behavior.  I wonder what happened to the dog.

As far as your neighbor being with such a creep, she should be on her guard.  If this guy harms animals and spews hatred for them as he does, she should be scared.  I wouldn't be the least surprised if he tries to harm her at some point.  Of course you cannot say anything about that to her but I do hope she has the sense to know what can happen and isn't foolish to think it can't