Honored Contributor

Re: My neighbor had her cleaning person come today

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou wrote:

@ninjawife No one knows how long this virus will go on. And keeping the house clean is smart. I so wish I could have a cleaning lady.

@BeccaLou, I live in California, and like several other states, those of us over 65 are being asked to stay home unless an emergency occurs. This obviously means that no person should enter your house.

Even my daughter, who has brought us some things, does not come in (her insistence). The best that I can hope for in terms of seeing my grandchildren would be from my front porch looking down at them at the bottom of the stairs.

This pandemic is still in early stages in this country. States like mine will likely be joined by most other states.

I have given paid leave to my beloved house cleaner for two weeks out, although I think that is optimistic.

This is serious you-know-what. It's not a time for taking any chances on our own or others' lives.

Our governor and mayor do recommend getting out and walking, running, or cycling. I am doing my exercise walking every day with my dog.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@January121How can you possibly know what went on in the neighbors' minds? You can't.

@Pearlee ... No, I am not a mind reader but, common sense tells me that they are stupid people risking their lives bringing in a stranger that goes in & out cleaning many houses ..... my opinion & I don’t care who likes it or not 🙃

Respected Contributor

I clean my house yep spring cleaning has arrived since we have to stay at home, wow, no gym membership on hands & knees cleaning organized freezer, next week drawers. Found things in freezer to make dinners got that planned. yes one room at a time. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden:  I know you took a beating from many posters on your post. But, you were right! Smiley Happy  I was watching a  program on the pandemic. Someone asked the doctor (Dr. Jennifer Ashton on ABC) that very question: should they continue to allow their cleaning person into their home. The doctor's answer was NO!!! We shouldn't allow anyone (who doesn't live in the home) to enter our home during this time.

Respected Contributor

The OP is not "judging" anyone. She's making an observation that many, and maybe her neighbors, failed to make: that cleaning staff, even those wearing masks, may well be picking up and transferring pathogens from house to house.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@SeaMaiden:  I know you took a beating from many posters on your post. But, you were right! Smiley Happy  I was watching a  program on the pandemic. Someone asked the doctor (Dr. Jennifer Ashton on ABC) that very question: should they continue to allow their cleaning person into their home. The doctor's answer was NO!!! We shouldn't allow anyone (who doesn't live in the home) to enter our home during this time.

@Diva on The Q  yes,I quit commenting on the thread as people were calling me names like  Gladys Kravitz.....making rude comments to me....

.   I still stand by my feelings....I have lived next door to this neighbor for 30 years....I know her health is fragile and she is on many  medications.  Of course  I would not say anything to her....it is her business. it was just my observation.  I guess sharing here sometimes brings out meanness just like on Facebook. 

Honored Contributor

I started another thread yesterday because a doctor addressed this very issue and said no, you shouldn't continue to have a cleaning person come to your home.  You should have the least amount of people in and out of your home as possible.

This board does give me a laugh though. Are there written rules about who we can judge and not judge?  Are some people off judging limits but it's okay to judge others?  Does it matter who it is that started the post?

Right before I read this thread yesterday, I kept reading several other threads wherein posters were judging the people who are still traveling, judging the spring breakers, etc.  Some of the posters judging on those threads are the same ones here telling the OP not to judge and to mind her business.  Just wondering if there is a rule book.   

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

People I know are cancelling their cleaning people and paying them, they are doing the right thing. Thankfully, they are taking this seriously and protecting themselves and others.

I would agree that if they feel it prudent then they're doing the right thing to cancel. I disagree it's incumbent upon them to pay for a service they aren't getting unless they've not given appropriate notice. I feel bad for anyone losing income as a result of this fiasco, but let's face it, virtually all businesses are losing in one way or another, as, really, are we all... Those who can afford to absorb the loss and are willing to pay for cancelled services are fortunate, but not everybody falls into that category...

@stevieb, ITA.  I am going to miss nail appointments and hair appointments and I can tell you I'm not going to pay for those missed appointments.  I feel badly for these places but in the grand scheme of things, if my office ends up shut down, I could end up on unemployment.   Even if my office stays open, we can be guaranteed this is going to greatly affect our income here.  

I would no more send my eye doctor money for the appointment he had to cancel or my doctor for the appointment she canceled. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think this  is foolish.   My neighbors have a couple  who clean homes as a business come twice a month. I was surprised they had them come today...

.easy to be infected if this couple going from-house to house.... cleaning many homes....with lots of kids home now from school...  who knows who might be sick ...and bringing the virus in with them if the get infected. 

My neighbor is about  68 as his her husband.  She is not very well... her husband is well enough he could have vacuumed  and do basic cleaning.   Nothing is that important. 

just seems risky  to me to have a cleaning service RIGHT NOW. 

I have chosen not to have my home cleaned for awhile, but I think there very well could be things you're not aware of re your neighbors.

In your opinion, the husband is capable of vacuuming and doing basic cleaning.  Maybe he's not.  Maybe he has a recently diagnosed (or not so recently diagnosed) heart condition or something else.  Or maybe there was a particular reason they needed cleaning done right now, maybe something heavy-duty.  Or maybe they wanted them to come in one last time to do a good cleaning before not coming in for awhile going forward.  Or maybe it was doctor-recommended because of her poor health.  You don't know the whole story.  And you also don't know what precautions were taken.

Depending on the circumstances, it might not have been foolish at all.  And if the cleaning people were willing to go in, then I don't see why it should matter to you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

People I know are cancelling their cleaning people and paying them, they are doing the right thing. Thankfully, they are taking this seriously and protecting themselves and others.

I would agree that if they feel it prudent then they're doing the right thing to cancel. I disagree it's incumbent upon them to pay for a service they aren't getting unless they've not given appropriate notice. I feel bad for anyone losing income as a result of this fiasco, but let's face it, virtually all businesses are losing in one way or another, as, really, are we all... Those who can afford to absorb the loss and are willing to pay for cancelled services are fortunate, but not everybody falls into that category...

@stevieb, ITA.  I am going to miss nail appointments and hair appointments and I can tell you I'm not going to pay for those missed appointments.  I feel badly for these places but in the grand scheme of things, if my office ends up shut down, I could end up on unemployment.   Even if my office stays open, we can be guaranteed this is going to greatly affect our income here.  

I would no more send my eye doctor money for the appointment he had to cancel or my doctor for the appointment she canceled. 

I agree.  It's a nice thing to do for sure, but not everyone can.  Especially in these uncertain times.  My son had to let a lot of employees go this past week.  He's devastated about it.  Now all of these hard-working people will suffer financially.  It certainly shouldn't be expected that they pay for things like unused cleaning services.

IMO it's not fair to make people feel that it's something they should do.  Everyone is being hit financially, and it's prudent to be extremely careful with money.  Go for it if you can do it!  But a lot of people can't, and that's okay too.