Honored Contributor

Re: My mother who has dementia living with me

@Beautiful life I get it that people do not want to put their loved ones in nursing homes, but it just may be what's best for them. Not all nursing homes are bad and some homes have Dementia Units where the nurses and aides are specially trained to deal with their specific issues. I visited one of these Dementia Units and there was no screaming or yelling, the residents were being engaged all day doing something even if it's only folding laundry or napkins. I saw one resident dusting everything and there was a group of people singing. Yes there were residents who were not able to participate, but they were sitting in lounge chairs and looked to be comfortable. The main thing IMO was that they were out among the other residents and not left alone.

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

From the other side, being the "mom," and my illnesses progressing, I can tell you there are days when my short term memory fails me (mostly with words I never had to look up before).  I will be having my yearly Medicare checkup on Monday and am hoping I have not progressed beyond "mild short term memory loss," as was diagnosed last year.

As far as my "needs," I can still take care of most of them myself, but I feel that ebbing away.  I know I'm starting to feel different inside, physically, mentally and emotionally.  I don't expect that to stop progressing.  I see things coming that I don't want to experience, nor do I want them to have to deal with. 

In short, I have always let my girls live their lives.  I feel strongly that if I start getting demented that that would be a curse and too much of a burden to everyone.  My girls are in their fifties, they still have lives to enjoy.  I'm not saying I would go to a nursing home because that, to me, would be worse than death.  But I would not expect nor want them to have to bathe me, feed me, dress me, or tend to my more private needs.

What I don't do is put a lot of pressure on my girls to take care of my business either . . . I pay my own bills online, I make my own phone calls regarding anything related to my health and/or financial matters.  I order my own food online and have it delivered.  I support myself and this household myself.  I ask nothing of my also chronically ill daughter who has Lyme, other than to drive me to my doctor appointments.

I do not call my daughters who work full time.  I wait for them to call me.  I do not even text them except if it is something important they have to know.  I know how busy they are with full time jobs and taking care of their families and households.  I also realize they need to have their time off with their families and friends and not with me.

They will be here for a few hours tomorrow for Mother's Day, but I don't expect them to make a big deal out of it, nor would I want them to.  Birthdays, same thing.  I am sure of their love and they are sure of mine, and that's all that counts.

I will do everything in my power to prevent any of my daughters from having to feel as the posters in this thread feel . . . regarding how being a caretaker has taken their quality of life away. 

Illness and aging is a cruel thing for everyone concerned.  I agree with what @gardenman said . . . people should die while they are still enjoying life and their loved ones around them are enjoying theirs.  Unfortunately, we have no control over that.

No one is ever ready to die, but I hope NJ will enact the laws of "Death with Dignity," as I know that is what I would choose.

Oh @LilacTree, you are so brutally honest with yourself and so open and I have such a soft spot in my heart for you. You have so much going on and have multiple layers to your life. You are just the type of person I could easily see myself sitting and visiting with and caring about. Since I can't do that, I'm sending you a hug, from my heart to yours. ❤

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life, I found this product which should fit your mother much better:

Tranquility Premium Overnight Underwear, Ex-Small, Heavy Absorbency, 2113.  (Amazon.com)

Tranquility Premium Overnight Disposable Underwear,

65-85 lbs (blowoutmedical.com)

Although the listings are different, I think it is the same product because the Item number is the same - #2113.

Super Contributor

'I'm going to order those from amazon

big thanks!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life wrote:

'I'm going to order those from amazon

big thanks!!!

@Beautiful life, take a look at these too, on Amazon:

Prevail Underwear, Extra-Absorbency,Youth/Small

Respected Contributor

Nobody want to put their parent in a nursing home. My mom is in one she has severe dementia and has no clue who I am or my Daughter. It is horrific thing to have to live with that knowledge that your parent does not know you and you have to leave her there.

Frankly I deal with this by thinking she is already gone. When she finally is I will be greatful. Because the woman in the wheelchair is not my mother. It is just a shell and my mom is with my Dad and they are at peace. So you get no award for killing yourself in taking care of a parent that clearly needs professional help 24/7.

I don't mean to sound cold but I never in a million years thought I would be in this situation. My Mom was a strong and powerful career woman and I can't believe she is no longer herself. 

Super Contributor

'My mom knows who the entire family is, my phone number but lost all short term memory. I'm cleaning out her house this weekend. It's hard to see her this way went downhill in quickly in 45 days.

Valued Contributor

Lilac Tree, After reading your post through many tears I so agree with all you have said, being 83 1/2 yrs old  myself I know the day is coming when I can  no longer do the things I do now even after breaking a femur on both legs.

Having two Daughters in their mid sixty's                     with busy lives and full time jobs and  children of their own( with one of them helping to raise her Grand Kids too) I have impressed upon them  that I do not want to be a burden and live with either of them When I no longer can take care of my self it is my wish to be placed in a home   and hopefully be able to make a decision to peacefully leave this earth on    my own terms which I have discussed with them. Brilliantly written post to say the least.

Wishing nothing but the best for you in the coming years.

Nafey

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life

Do you have a Power of Attorney for your mom?   

Contributor

I also took care of my Mother with dementia and experienced your issues.  The no sleep, yelling, etc.  I felt so tortured about putting her in a nursing home, that I was failing her, that I went to a therapist.  He did help me see that a nursing home could take better care of her than I coud.  My back was getting injured all the time.  A nursing home can help you with how to pay for it and help you with figuring out how and when to sell her house and legal issues, etc.  My mother quickly ran out of money at a cost of $5,000 a month and soon the state took over her care and paid for her.  The nursing home did take better care of her than I could.  They could handle and help with her anxiety with medication and music therapy, etc.  Nursing homes have social workers on staff you can talk to you.  I also relied on the people at the local senior center to lead me in the right directions.  It is not up to you yourself to pay for her care.  Please trust me and reach out for help.  I got to be a daughter again for my mother's remaining years, not just someone who changed depends.  I haven't been on the QVC forum for years and some how just felt compelled to look tonight and immediately saw your post.  I hope it is so you will take my advice and call a local nursing home and their social work department.