Honored Contributor

Re: My mistake is someone else's...

@kaydee50 wrote:

I only donate clothing that I myself would wear and have just gotten bored with it or it doesn't fit correctly anymore.  Rags I throw out.  

Also don't understand posters who justify high prices by saying "it lasts forever."  I don't want clothing to last forever, LOL!!!   And I can't remember ever getting rid of a  piece of clothing because it wore out regardless of the price.

@kaydee50 I keep clothing until it wears out. I always have.  I am not a trendy person, so why discard a good piece that you like to wear? Same with shoes. 

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  "where is it written that poor people who buy 2nd hand/donated clothes, have to wear rags?"

17bryf0v13at1gif.gif

Girlby.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I only donate clothing that I myself would wear and have just gotten bored with it or it doesn't fit correctly anymore.  Rags I throw out.  

Also don't understand posters who justify high prices by saying "it lasts forever."  I don't want clothing to last forever, LOL!!!   And I can't remember ever getting rid of a  piece of clothing because it wore out regardless of the price.

@kaydee50 I keep clothing until it wears out. I always have.  I am not a trendy person, so why discard a good piece that you like to wear? Same with shoes. 

Me too I have so many things I still wear from the '80's.  I never put any of my wearing clothes, except sweats in the dryer.  I line dry all and then iron out wrinkles 

Clothes hold up much better when they never get near a dryer. 

I have a Liz Claiborne shirt I wear a lot on Fridays to the office and have been asked many times where I got it?  Dillards 1988, give or take a year.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

FYI..............were not in grade school. Looking for stars? Good deeds are best not mentioned.

You must be related to two other posters on this forum that think they are better than and holier than thou.

I wish I could figure out if you had another name at one time.

Honored Contributor

Thrift stores will not sell clothing that is torn, dirty, missing buttons, or with unworking zippers, for starters.

It's a given people donate clothing only they themselves would wear but no longer need.

Plus a large portion of textiles are sent overseas to be recycled/made into new fabrics, so any donation may or may not end up being purchased.

Nobody ever said the poor can only buy terrible clothing at such stores and people with various incomes shop thrift stores.

Another thread about thrift stores, another day.🫤

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

The sad truth is that the majority of donated clothing ends up in a landfill.....even new items with the tags still on them.

Most of it is unsold and disposed of or sold by the pound as rags.

Respected Contributor

@debfau wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten.  I can't figure out what you're talking about.  You bought perfect new pants that somebody else will enjoy???

To me it sounds like she accidently donated the new pants.

Yes...that's what Miss Dummy here did.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

...bonus!

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of cargo pants. I absolutely love them; the color is just what I want and they fir perfectly (I recently lost weight and right now it's kind of hard to find the right size).Someone is going to look real nice in olive cargo pants!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you read the first sentence, it's not about her losing weight.  The pants she bought a few weeks ago fit perfectly,  Also, the title of the thread is "My Mistake is someone else's" which indicates that she accidentally donated her brand new pants.  And, she has since added a statement indicating as much.

As far as wanting clothing that'll last, I'm one of those that wears clothing I like forever.  I have at least 20 year old clothing I still like and still wear.  Just Sunday I wore a Storybook Knits sweater.  Remember those?  I also have a pair of Victoria's Secret pants trousers that fit me like a glove and I love.  I certainly don't throw out pants that fit as much trouble as I have finding pants.  My tastes in clothing pretty much remains constant regardless of the trends. Besides, you can change up the way you wear a lot clothing to work with the trends.  

I do donate clothing to thrift stores and I buy clothing from thrift stores.  If clothing is going to landfills or elsewhere, that's not going to change whether I dontate something or not.  I have donated NWT garments for whatever reason and I recently bought a NWT sweater in a thrift store along with a like-new pencil skirt. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

The sad truth is that the majority of donated clothing ends up in a landfill.....even new items with the tags still on them.

Most of it is unsold and disposed of or sold by the pound as rags.

@Carmie   I've  been told that 5he clothing not suitable for donation or reuse, is sold by the pound to be recycled.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   that is true.  A lot of it is sent to Asia and ends up in landfill over there.....and some, very little is recycled into rags.