Respected Contributor

My mistake is someone else's...

[ Edited ]

...bonus!

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of cargo pants. I absolutely love them; the color is just what I want and they fir perfectly (I recently lost weight and right now it's kind of hard to find the right size).Someone is going to look real nice in olive cargo pants!

And this always brings to mind my question, where is it written that poor people who buy 2nd hand/donated clothes, have to wear rags? DH and I often donate clothes we don't like, are tired of, etc. It kind of brings a grin to my face when I think of how many people are walking around in our small town in really nice clothes.

BTW, I was able to find a duplicate pair of the cargo pants, so it's a win/win: I got the pants I love and someone is going to enjoy the nice, brand new pants I donated!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA: I forgot to say that I mistakenly put them in the donation pile and...poof! they're gone.

Respected Contributor

Re: My mistake is someone else's...

I'm confused, if they fit perfectly why are you donating them?

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten    I'm with you.  The clothes I donate are all in good to new condition.  I either can't wear them or just don't think I will wear them any time soon.

Some of my favorite pieces came from thrift shops when someone else with an attitude like ours donated them.  The only piece of Ralph Lauren I own came from a thrift shop - it's a bit big for me now and still looks wonderful.  I hate to give it up, but I will as soon as I find something in its category to replace it.

Honored Contributor

I only donate clothing that I myself would wear and have just gotten bored with it or it doesn't fit correctly anymore.  Rags I throw out.  

Also don't understand posters who justify high prices by saying "it lasts forever."  I don't want clothing to last forever, LOL!!!   And I can't remember ever getting rid of a  piece of clothing because it wore out regardless of the price.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten.  I can't figure out what you're talking about.  You bought perfect new pants that somebody else will enjoy???

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten.  I can't figure out what you're talking about.  You bought perfect new pants that somebody else will enjoy???

To me it sounds like she accidently donated the new pants.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  bought a pair of cargo pants. She lost a lot of weight so she donated the pants. She finally found a replacement that fit her slim and fit body.

Trusted Contributor

Ummm, I don't think it is written anywhere that "poor" people have to wear rags.

MANY people donate new or newly new clothing often. 

This isn't exactly unique. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Donation Centers don't sell rags. Everything has to be in great condition.

I have a friend who shopped at thrift shops. She was an executive at a well known company. The suits she wore were beautiful and only a few of us knew where she got them.

Also clothing that are donated in your area are usually shipped to another State. So if you donate in your City it's not likely that you will see someone wearing your donations.

Respected Contributor

FYI..............were not in grade school. Looking for stars? Good deeds are best not mentioned.