Esteemed Contributor

Re: My local store is out of watermelon!

I bought a very large seedless watermelon at the first of the month to take to a cook out for the 4th.  At that time, they had plenty at the two stores I visited that day.  I haven't noticed the supply since then.  I'll be heading back to our local grocery store this weekend so I'll check it out.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Regular Contributor

I called around. I finally found some at Harris Teeter in Baltimore.
My instacart shopper brought me a nice one. It is already in the refg getting ice cold. 👍🏻
I hope others can find some.
Respected Contributor

My third try...Kroger had lots of watermelons come in yesterday. $4.98 for the small seedless ones. 

Respected Contributor

The first two watermelons I bought this summer were terrible. Really overripe. Since then I have found really good ones. It is so hot here, sometimes cold watermelon is the only thing I want to eat.

Respected Contributor

Our growing season in lower SC is just about done. They sure were good this year. I don't buy whole melons because it's just me but I've bought some really sweet cut quarters this year. I don't buy any time of the year when we don't have locals.

Valued Contributor

I haven't noticed if my stores were out because I normally don't buy whole watermelons.  I'm petrified of chopping my hand off.  They're just so large, unwieldy and my knife always gets stuck in them.   Not to mention the juice going all over the countertop. Does anyone have any tips on how to carve them?

Respected Contributor

I went to a local farmers market this morning and asked about the watermelons. He said the fields were full right now. We've had torrential downpours every afternoon for a few weeks here. He said that was a big hit to having them, the fields are too wet and they need to pick all day long. The bigger problem for him is finding people to get out and pick them. He said he had a crew of a couple dozen people scheduled this morning to pick and two showed up. This is just so sad, our farmers work so hard.

Regular Contributor

I did not think of weather and a worker shortage. It is sad after all the work and time it takes from from a seed to the final fruit.
Mine did not taste good at all. No flavor.
Honored Contributor

I ordered food on Friday.  Wegman had watermelon. Plenty of it.  I got the hearts like I usually do. The past two weeks, I wasn't able to.  No problem yesterday.  

Valued Contributor

Okay???