Valued Contributor

Re: My local store is out of watermelon!

What, none in Ct??? with all the farmers stands there?

Honored Contributor

Plenty here - on the S East Coast.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

N. GA

did walmart pick up this morning which included watermelon @ $3.68

64 items on my pickup order.  only 2 subbed.  no out of stock

local grocery store -ingles- watermelons are $6.98

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

In NC, I don't know.  DH is the water melon person.

Honored Contributor

There seems to be a run on them.  I'm in Maryland too, and I have trouble getting watermelon.  I've been trying through Instacat to Wegmans and Giants.  No luck.  I'm going to order again on Friday.  Hope they have it.  

Esteemed Contributor

In VA the larger watermelons have been $3,99 but the mini personal melons $5.99, at most stores. Why? They're smaller and used to be $1.00! 
  Last week I saw a small melon at a vegetable stand and  a lady beat me to it by the time I parked the car.

The next day he had more small ones. $6.99! I told him it was too much. Then I found a small seedless regular watermelon for $3.99 at Food Lion. I had the last piece today. Delicious!

🍉 $🍉$🍉 $

Valued Contributor

Stores in my Boston suburb have a decent supply of watermelon, but they are usually the seedless ones.  It may be neater and more convenient, but am I the only one who feels that the seedlesss watermelon doesn't taste nearly as good as the seed-spitting variety?

Trusted Contributor

That's crazy!  I live on Long Island and we have plenty of watermelon here.  We buy a whole watermelon weekly.  They are always in large bins throughout the store. We purchase them through several supermarkets and through Costco.

On the other hand, not all of them have been good watermelons.

Esteemed Contributor

@peggyhbsl 

I'm in southern Charles County Maryland and my local Food Lion didn't have any watermelons, but lots of cantelopes.

However, the day before when I visited Walmart, they had 3 large bins of seedless melons in front of the store.

Maybe it was just a temporary shortage.

Honored Contributor

The 2 stores I shop were also very low on watermelon. There have been reports about the harm the high heat and fires have had on fields here all over the world.  Hang on because other foods will be more scarce than usual too.