Honored Contributor

Re: My local Publix sent an email stating masks are now mandatory...THANK YOU PUBLIX

just wondering -

higher positive numbers due to more testing - true

not everyone dies - true

wearing a mask doesn't guarantee not getting the virus - true

not wearing a mask doesn't guarantee getting the virus - true

is wearing a mask that difficult - no

can it protect you and others - perhaps

how many deaths are acceptable? 

if you believe the numbers are inflated - 

10,000 20,000 30,000 40,000 50,000

for those that say the flu kills just as many people

I never had refrigerated morgue trucks outside my hosptial every winter

if you have makeshift morgues outside your hosptial every flu season

okay - don't wear a mask 

Respected Contributor

Re: My local Publix sent an email stating masks are now mandatory...THANK YOU PUBLIX

I'm really disappointed with my Publix. I was there this afternoon. There were several people there not wearing masks. Of course these individuals were the ones who could not read the one way directional arrows in the aisles. I spoke with a manager about why they were letting people in who were not wearing masks. She said we can't force them to wear masks. I said well then you should not let them in. What good is it to have a policy that you must wear a mask to enter the store if you have no intention of enforcing it?

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler   Hi there!   I agree with you 100%.   I think a lot of people are ticked because the news keeps changing their minds on the mask issue.   

Honored Contributor

My favorite grocery store is part of a midwest chain. I've shopped their stores for 35+ years.  While other grocery stores are announcing mask requirements, they announced yesterday that they won't require masks.  Ugh.  

I haven't been in their store since March 10th and don't plan to since I can go stores that do require masks.  They do offer online shopping and we can pick them up at drive up.  I do that for things I really want from that store but have gone elsewhere for other items.  

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey - I went to the grocery store yesterday and they do have In & Out signs clearly posted. So, some guy went up to the exit door, read the sign and went in anyway. 

It takes all kinds.

Honored Contributor

I personally like when individual businesses decide on masks required or not, and not government entities. It gives people a choice. 

I wear a mask in indoor spaces with other people. I have no problem with businesses requiring it, and I have no problem with other businesses not requiring it. I think people should have choices, both businesses and consumers.

I do have an issue with governmental mandates at this time. We all know the numbers are being manipulated, and we really can't make informed decisions when the data isn't 'real' or pure, but skewed for political and monetary reasons. Anyone that thinks this isn't happening (on all sides) is just not living in the real world. 

My view is that wearing a mask in public places for the short time I need to be there is doable and I'm fairly cautious and will do it. But I respect those that can't, or don't want to, especially in light of the fact that we are being fed 'statistics' that are being manipulated.

It's not solely about saving lives for many of the people/entities that are pushing the current agenda. It's about power, instilling fear, taking away liberties, money, and a really good social experiment in seeing just how far people will be lead. For those reasons, you have (and probably should have) people rebelling.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I personally like when individual businesses decide on masks required or not, and not government entities. It gives people a choice. 

I wear a mask in indoor spaces with other people. I have no problem with businesses requiring it, and I have no problem with other businesses not requiring it. I think people should have choices, both businesses and consumers.

I do have an issue with governmental mandates at this time. We all know the numbers are being manipulated, and we really can't make informed decisions when the data isn't 'real' or pure, but skewed for political and monetary reasons. Anyone that thinks this isn't happening (on all sides) is just not living in the real world. 

My view is that wearing a mask in public places for the short time I need to be there is doable and I'm fairly cautious and will do it. But I respect those that can't, or don't want to, especially in light of the fact that we are being fed 'statistics' that are being manipulated.

It's not solely about saving lives for many of the people/entities that are pushing the current agenda. It's about power, instilling fear, taking away liberties, money, and a really good social experiment in seeing just how far people will be lead. For those reasons, you have (and probably should have) people rebelling.

Since I know that your post is political, @Mominohio, I can't jeopardize my standing here by giving my opinion.  So I will say, for what it's worth, that I vehemently disagree with your premise.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

How many medical people have to say masks don't work before anyone believes them? The box the masks come in says they don't, and cloth masks have even bigger holes.  

The New England Journal of Medicine (cited below) said they 1) don't work, and 2) "in many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."

COVID has far better stats than the flu, and the latter has a new vaccine every winter.  What other disease has 85% go through with few if any symptoms, and they don't really spread it either?  Children, unlike the flu, are darn close to immune.

Why do I say this?  Because my father died early because of our panicked response.  He needed care he couldn't get, and the best doctors and nurses were furloughed with the cheapest left in our hospitals.  On top of it, I found out that seniors are having their symptoms treated rather than being cured.  The health community has failed us on every level.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Valued Contributor

The grocery stores in the DC Metro area required masks months ago.  What took Publix so long?  Or maybe it was Publix in your state.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

How many medical people have to say masks don't work before anyone believes them? The box the masks come in says they don't, and cloth masks have even bigger holes.  

The New England Journal of Medicine (cited below) said they 1) don't work, and 2) "in many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."

COVID has far better stats than the flu, and the latter has a new vaccine every winter.  What other disease has 85% go through with few if any symptoms, and they don't really spread it either?  Children, unlike the flu, are darn close to immune.

Why do I say this?  Because my father died early because of our panicked response.  He needed care he couldn't get, and the best doctors and nurses were furloughed with the cheapest left in our hospitals.  On top of it, I found out that seniors are having their symptoms treated rather than being cured.  The health community has failed us on every level.  

In another recent post this poster said his or her father was alive and in a care facility with Covid present. And in another they said he died due to stress over Covid. Not sure this account could pass the Turing test.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr