Trusted Contributor

Re: My local Publix sent an email stating masks are now mandatory...THANK YOU PUBLIX

I'm optimistic.  I see progress being made mask-wise.

It's pretty clear to me, that whatever coo coo for cocoa puffs socio/political/cultural meaning resonates with people about the virus, they are willing to wear a mask if they have to.

Honored Contributor

Re: My local Publix sent an email stating masks are now mandatory...THANK YOU PUBLIX

[ Edited ]

Our Publix has a sign posted at both doors - masks please- oh that should do it.  Today several people walking about, no masks so I complained to one of the managers- she said it was mandatory and I said, "Well you guys should enforce it."  I mean I'm in N Georgia and I will not take any chance being close to anyone without a mask, not at my age.  

It's purely common sense, geez wear a mask to protect yourself and those around you !!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

How many medical people have to say masks don't work before anyone believes them? The box the masks come in says they don't, and cloth masks have even bigger holes.  

The New England Journal of Medicine (cited below) said they 1) don't work, and 2) "in many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."

COVID has far better stats than the flu, and the latter has a new vaccine every winter.  What other disease has 85% go through with few if any symptoms, and they don't really spread it either?  Children, unlike the flu, are darn close to immune.

Why do I say this?  Because my father died early because of our panicked response.  He needed care he couldn't get, and the best doctors and nurses were furloughed with the cheapest left in our hospitals.  On top of it, I found out that seniors are having their symptoms treated rather than being cured.  The health community has failed us on every level.  

In another recent post this poster said his or her father was alive and in a care facility with Covid present. And in another they said he died due to stress over Covid. Not sure this account could pass the Turing test.

To say nothing about his constant misinformation, @Porcelain 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I ordered a couple of more cloth face masks today. Baublebar is selling a two pack for $12.

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Styleovertrend 

In our area Publix had outbreak of 9 employees (3 from our local store) -- never disclosed it came to light when employees complained about employees not required to wear masks.  Within days Publix issued the directive which if I recall was mid-May.

I'm sure there are many businesses big & small who have had employees with the virus but they are under no obligation (to my knowledge) to report.

The Health Dept for the area my parent's live puts it in the local paper daily if there are any virus outbreaks and where they happened so people know.

Valued Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

The grocery stores in the DC Metro area required masks months ago.  What took Publix so long?  Or maybe it was Publix in your state.

Publix as a "whole" was supposed to start mandating that masks must be worn starting yesterday, July 21st.

I had heard that the company that owns WinnDixie wasn't going to mandate masks but then they got a lot of emails and they changed their mind, think it goes into effect next monday.

Valued Contributor

I heard on the news this morning (on way to work) that even though Lowes is now mandating masks be worn they aren't going to enforce as they don't want anyone to get hurt because someone doesn't want to comply (remember that Security Guard that was killed back in Apr or May because he told a woman her child needed to have a face masks on).

Valued Contributor

Yes, masks are required however, they are not enforcing it. I was at Publix today and saw about 10 people shopping, without masks.

No one at the door stops people nor tells them instore to wear a mask.

Unless it is mandated by the Government it can't be handled by any business.