Valued Contributor

My local Publix sent an email stating masks are now mandatory...THANK YOU PUBLIX

One more reason for me to love my Publix. Since we can't count on people to be reasonable and preventive (which is why the major spike in cases recently), the mandate  HAS TO BE ENFORCED. If people don't like it, shop somewhere else and leave those of us who are being safe and considerate of others shop in peace. 

Respected Contributor

Re: My local Publix sent an email stating masks are now mandatory...THANK YOU PUBLIX

@Styleovertrend wrote:

One more reason for me to love my Publix. Since we can't count on people to be reasonable and preventive (which is why the major spike in cases recently), the mandate  HAS TO BE ENFORCED. If people don't like it, shop somewhere else and leave those of us who are being safe and considerate of others shop in peace. 

Agreed! 😷👍

Honored Contributor

Re: My local Publix sent an email stating masks are now mandatory...THANK YOU PUBLIX

The reason for the "major spike in cases recently" is because there has been expanded testing done throughout the nation, which people wanted so they would know if they are positive/negative. The testing was provided freely in many areas of the United States, so  a great amount of people had themselves tested.

The number of cases does not equate to the number of deaths. Entirely two different things. But what is told on the newscasts are the number of cases. I never hear them say how many cases were asymptomatic, symptomatic, got the virus but recovered, etc.    I only hear how many people died, which is way smaller a number than those who recovered.

Trusted Contributor

FB3FB046-50F2-4347-822A-748DF6AA0BF6.png

⚓️
Honored Contributor

I'm surprised they weren't already considered mandatory months ago.   What took them so long?

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

The reason for the "major spike in cases recently" is because there has been expanded testing done throughout the nation, which people wanted so they would know if they are positive/negative. The testing was provided freely in many areas of the United States, so  a great amount of people had themselves tested.

The number of cases does not equate to the number of deaths. Entirely two different things. But what is told on the newscasts are the number of cases. I never hear them say how many cases were asymptomatic, symptomatic, got the virus but recovered, etc.    I only hear how many people died, which is way smaller a number than those who recovered.

@World Traveler, your first paragraph is untrue. The positivity rates indicates that in no way is the surge solely a result of more testing. And btw, the idea that testing has been readily available is misinformation -- just ask the states' health coordinators.

As you know, the difference between positive cases and deaths is easily discernable -- elementary subtraction.

Yes, the deaths are a smaller number than those who recovered. This virus is not nearly 100 percent fatal. Also, of those who recovered, many had a horrific time doing so.

When any serious disease hits us, the news reports its effect on the population. That's what we're hearing. The fact that most people do not die from Covid is blantantly obvious.

The U.S. number of deaths as of today is 143,000 plus 512.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

FB3FB046-50F2-4347-822A-748DF6AA0BF6.png

@LoveMyBaby, thank you. It's a bit hard to see, but the chart does give the recovery numbers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@World Traveler  and way smaller number than cases reported. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

They're just following the other big companies like Kroger which had already made that decision last week. In fact, Kroger may have been the first, either them or Walmart. I am really against government mask mandates and always thought that it should be the businesses making that determination just like they do with shirts, shoes, and guns.  However, I also understand people have become more aggressive and the businesses might be afraid someone might get violent, although I didn't hear any stories of violent gun owners when Wal-mart and the big grocery stores instituted no-gun policies nationwide.  And you know that would be in the news if it did happen. 

Trusted Contributor

This is from Johns Hopkins Covid-19 Tracking (real-time tracking).E70D176A-B7C5-43A0-9730-1AD72C209768.png

(Michael Osterholm just stated for all the pain and suffering, deaths and economic disruption from this pandemic, so far it's only affected 7-8% of the United States population). Think about that for a sec. 

⚓️