Esteemed Contributor

My little Amazon rant

[ Edited ]

I was intending to buy one or more of the new Amazon Echo Dots (50 dollars) for my son and maybe others in my family.

Anyway, i see as of now, I need Amazon Prime to order the new smaller Echo Dot.

Well when my DH bought me the Amazon Echo (original one) you didn't have to join Prime.

And it doesn't pay me TO join Prime because I only shop Amazon at Christmas and get the free shipping anyway.

So my rant is why must I join Prime to get the new Echo? Because Amazon has become greedy like most others. (And I used to order more on Amazon such as music, before they came out with the higher amount needed to get free shipping). But now instead, I support my local record shop to get my music.

I also asked around and no one I know belongs to Prime or they could order the new Dot for me (and id be willing to pay them a little bit extra for doing so).

Oh well, not the end of the world in the scheme of things and perhaps they will offer the Dot later to non Prime members But I don't know if they do if it will be by Christmas which is a bummer.

IMO they would have more sales if they would stop trying to "make" people join Prime.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Could you join with the free, 30 day Prime trial membership?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I <3 Amazon and have Amazon Prime and i get my orders in less than 24 hrs. and if something is wrong with my order i have never had to return it .they either send another or deduct the price,whatever i want no questions asked. ....and I may add that rarely happens.

They sell everything Q sells so much  cheaper and with so much less hassle!!   <3

Honored Contributor

Don't get me started!  

It was open a while ago because I refuse to go on Prime for the same reason: not worth it to me financially.  They invited me to buy it via email.  I seriously thought about ordering it but waited for Google's announcement since I have a lot of Google in my home and I'm going with that instead when it comes out.

My advice is that it will come off Prime.  They did that with my Lara bars and some vitamins I buy from time to time too but they always come off the restriction at some point.  Keep checking.

For example, just the other week I tried to order boxes of candy for Halloween.  They said they only had 2 available.  I went back LITERALLY 10 minutes later and all of a sudden I could order the 5 I wanted.

Gets better.

They charged me $1.99 to cold ship (couldn't select free because it had to be shipped a special way) so I paid my two bucks.

Arrived the other day in a plain box just like anything else.  NO cold ship.  Luckily, I just knew they would screw it up and ran home from work to get it off the porch.  Important since it's still 80 plus around here and candy is expensive.

I am now seriously considering suing them for $1.99 million dollars for theft, false advertising and chocolate candy distress.  Judge Judy, here I come.  Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U when the Echo was sold originally, very early on it was almost by lottery - only random selected customers were offered the chance, whether or not they had Prime, and my friends who had Prime were annoyed because they couldn't get it without the "offer" from Amazon. Then later it was opened to Prime members, and still later to everyone.

Part of the reason was supply - they didn't have a huge inventory - and part was they wanted the ability to be able to personally troubleshoot with people and get feedback about tech issues from people and they couldn't do that with too "many" people.

Yes, they do push Prime on everyone, and before I had Prime I didn't like it either, but it is what it is. And you're right, it may or may not be available to non-Prime members before Xmas. They probably want to insure that any Prime members who might want one for Xmas can have one. I can understand that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: My little Amazon rant

[ Edited ]

The new Dot is limited release right now, just like the original Echo release.  Prime membership offers many benefits - including first access and special pricing benefits. They'll open it up to non-Prime members later.

Respected Contributor

I have a different opinion on this.  Prime members that pay $99 a year (or whatever it is) get in on special deals and purchases that other non-paying members get.  What is wrong with that?

We get a lot for our money (Prime) if you ask me.  It's worth it. 

Honored Contributor

Um....the Dot won't ship until October 20, but it's available right now for pre-order from both Amazon and BBB without any "requirements." So the whole "only Prime members" thing? Not true. The Amazon page DOES say "Free shipping with Prime" - perhaps the OP misunderstood that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I'm confused.  The Echo Dot (second generation) says it's $49.99 and has free shipping but won't ship until October 20.

I'm not seeing where you have to belong to Prime. 

Valued Contributor

Best buy has them.You can do store pick up if s/h isn't free.