Honored Contributor

Re: My knee- I could just cry

@chrystaltree wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

You are in a considerable amount of pain, I feel for you.  You don't know what damage you might have done to an already injured knee.  Please go to the ER now!!!   If the surgeon's office was open, that is the advice they would have given you.  The ER will image the knee and do an assessment and prescribe something for the pain.  I have knee issues myself, I also work in healthcare and a post like this just bewilders me.  I don't know why a person in such pain would just sit there and do absolutely nothing.  I won't belabor the point, I just hope you take my advice.

@chrystaltree- thanks for posting. 

I found the crutches, so I have them ready to go if I need them. I’m in no pain at all when I walk or when I’m sitting and have my legs elevated in the recliner. It’s when I go through the motion to stand or motion to sit that I get the pain. 

I just took my pain pill. Believe me, I’m no warrior. If it gets worse I’ll call 911 and go to the ER if we can’t get there ourselves. I hardly think they’d spring into action though and do meniscus surgery on the spot.  They’ll send me home with yet more pain killers and tell me to call my doctor on Monday, which I plan to do anyway since they’d already closed today. I don’t think an on call doctor would help me because I’m still in “new patient and has made an appt and faxed in her paperwork but hasn’t actually seen us yet status”. But if it gets to that point, I’d certainly try calling. 

And....it just happened a little bit before I posted. The doctor is closed. Other than go to the ER, there’s really not much I can do. But if it gets that bad, off I’ll go and I’ll take a selfie of my knee in the ER and post it. 

LOL   Yeah, sure.   But honestly, that is what your original post was about.....extreme pain..lol    Which is why I said go to the ER so they can give you something for the pain until you can get to your orthopod next week.   They do that all the time, it's standard.   But it's good to hear that the pain that brought you to tears suddenly went away.

@chrystaltree- there is absolutely nothing in my original post where I used the words “extreme pain”. I said I went to stand and pain shot through my knee, which it did, and that my knee wouldn’t support my weight, which it wouldn’t initially. It’s very painful to go through the motion to sit or stand. I’m not in constant writhing pain. Never said I was. 

I didn’t and don’t want to cry because of the pain. I want to cry because my knee is injured.  Because I unintentionally hurt it taking a stupid Zumba class that I wrongly thought I was physically well enough to take.  That I think the other one is hurt also. Because we, who hardly ever travel, couldn’t take our trip. Because it’s a four day weekend. Because I’m probably not going to get to go shopping on Black Friday with my sister, which we’ve done since the 70’s. Not because I care about the shopping, but because I like to spend time with her and I have very little family left and we’re getting older and it’s our tradition.  Because my husband isn’t well and I want to be able to help him and hate that he’s going to have to help me. I want to cry because I have an awful lot on me and am sad and a little scared that I’m on injured reserve. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I hope you can get this taken care of soon! I have never had knee problems but two weeks ago I was just walking into the kitchen and felt a very painful pop in the back of my knee. Saw the doctor, had a cortisone shot and felt better for a few days. It got worse again so I had an MRI and had surgery yesterday for a torn discoid meniscus. It's a bad time of year for it but I am allowed to walk on it with a cane and can get rid of the cane whenever I feel like I am okay walking. This was a lot easier than I expected and I hope someone cancels and you can be scheduled soon and have good results too! Best of luck to you and your husband.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, I have been in your shoes...and have had the same problems with meniscus tears and multiple surgeries for them.

I adapted to the sick role all to well, because I was overweight by some 80 lbs.

The cycle continued: when you are overweight like I was, and in pain with inflamed hot joints-who wants to move?

In 2015, I found myself waking up in an ICU-and I woke up to a nurse injecting insulin,apprising me of my new disease status if you will...and the rest is history.

I will indeed need knee replacement-on both-one day.But right now, just using a generic healthy diet has allowed me to lose weight. I pay attention to anti-inflammatory foods- so important..

Love, Hope, Share, Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@gidgetghI have kneezels too, though not as bad as you do.  When they act  up, I sit and elevate, take an anti-inflammatory and don’t do stairs.  The worse is putting weight on the knee to stand up and also to walk down stairs.  I have been known to use crutches too.  I have a pair of wooden ones, which get me a ton of strange looks, but they work.  A walker doesn’t help at all.

Take it it easy and try to stay off of your legs as much as possible.  December will be here soon.  I’ll pray you soon get some relief.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel your pain...literally. In one more week I am having knee replacement surgery. Torn meniscus in two places and bone-on-bone have led me to this point. I really understand that problem of not knowing whether your knees will support you. When I awaken each morning, I sit up in bed first, lift myself up, and stand in place for awhile until I feel ready to limp  to the bathroom. Once I’ve been up and about for a few minutes, walking is easier, but this is no way to live. To the O/P, I wish you an uneventful and happy Thanksgiving. Just keep remembering that knees can be fixed. As a cancer survivor, I am grateful when a physical problem is fixable.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl.  I daresay every airport in the US has wheelchair service available.  All you have to do is ask and you'll be wheeled everywhere you need to go.  Don't let that keep you from travelling.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh, I give you permission to scream, cry, vent, and anything else that comes to mind about your pain and all the attendant worries. And I think that if you are at all able to get to your Thanksgiving dinner without doing any damage, it would probably do wonders for your spirits.

I'm hoping for the best. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh I'd consider getting a knee 'brace' (actually more of a wrap) from any local pharmacy. They really do help partially imoblize the knee and cut down on discomfort. That said, while I would assume if they sell them at reputable pharmacies that they aren't contraindicated, it might be wise to ask the pharmacist or doctor if it would be all right to wear for the short term and for short periods. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

I agree with one of the posters saying try the ibuprofen or whichever whatever the  doctor says you can take for pain- to take the edge off...and don't try to do too much- let it calm down- these things always act up during holidays!!! 🌼🌼🌼🌼🌺🌺🌺 Then get that second opinion!!! Sending happy thoughts your way. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I did use a wheelchair at the airport.  While DH had to push me, the airport personnel did have someone waiting for me when I got off of the plane.  Probably the only plus, according to DH, was that we were the first ones on the plane.  Personally, I will be glad to get back to walking through the airport, especially since I really like airport shopping.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!