Honored Contributor

Re: My knee- I could just cry

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh  So sorry you are in pain☹️. I can only offer support and I hope you are not too uncomfortable on the days prior to your surgery. Can you wrap the knee and use some crutches?  I found some crutches at Good Will prior to my knee(s) replacement that were very affordable.  

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, I totally sympathize. These knees can be a real pain in the butt! Last summer I went to get out of the car and go into the store with my husband, and from out of the blue, my knee just wasn't going to make the walking motion. I kept trying but knew there was no way. It wasn't hurting but mechanically it just wouldn't bend and go, so to speak. I got back in the car and hubby ran in to get the few things we needed. My knee still wasn't hurting or anything, and I even got out of the car one more time to try again, but no. So hubby came back, we went to the drive thru at the bank, and then a drive thru to get some lunch. When we got home and I got out of the car, BOOM, I could not put any weight on my knee whatsoever. I was done...and stunned!!! Ended up being in a wheel chair for 24 hours. What fun!

I already knew I had a torn lateral meniscus prior to this, but my knee had been doing really great for many, many months. This came on out of nowhere! I did end up having scope surgery about three months after this episode to trim the meniscus, etc. All I will say is that my surgery did not go well at all.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Just wanted you to know that you are certainly not alone. Can you take anti-inflammatory drugs? I had some Celebrex on hand for a prior back problem and I took those. They did seem to help. 

Hang in there! 

Honored Contributor

Hope it gets to feeling better soon.  I also feel your pain, so at least you're not alone.

I have a 'bad knee' from years ago and sometimes the pain is just beyond.

I used to love sitting crossed legged - whether it was on the couch or in my desk chair - whenever I found myself in a sitting position.  i haven't been able to do that for years because of the degeneration of the knee situation on my right knee.   If I find myself bending it too much (which is pretty much just more than is required to walk), I know I'm in for a few days of increased pain.

Best wishes!

Honored Contributor

Praying you get some relief, @gidgetgh.  So sorry you have to deal with this.

Honored Contributor

My right knee has been through numerous accidents, starting when I was 18.  Recently I was in a nasty accident.  In the ER, they told me to try to stand on it, I screamed when I tried, never screamed before.

Have you considered temporarily using a walker?  It was an amazing help for me.  

They sell them on Amazon and they are inexpensive.

Respected Contributor

Sorry to read that.

How about a walker or even a four-prong stable walking cane. Either would assist in getting up from sitting and walking once you get up.

Also, I know it a long weekend, perhaps call your doctor anyhow, they usually always have someone on call, and ask for a mild pain pill. If not, take something like Advil every four hours.

Does a heating pad help at all? Or, even an ice bag? I know it depends on the person and the pain. I would try both and see what works best for you.

And, seriously stay off your leg not unless it is completely necessary. Do not be afraid of asking for assistance, someone will help you in whatever you need. 

Take care now, and best of luck.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

You are in a considerable amount of pain, I feel for you.  You don't know what damage you might have done to an already injured knee.  Please go to the ER now!!!   If the surgeon's office was open, that is the advice they would have given you.  The ER will image the knee and do an assessment and prescribe something for the pain.  I have knee issues myself, I also work in healthcare and a post like this just bewilders me.  I don't know why a person in such pain would just sit there and do absolutely nothing.  I won't belabor the point, I just hope you take my advice.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh, I hope that you can get something scheduled soon... My surgeon only operates on Thursdays, but I am scheduled for mid-morning.  I just want to get it over with and get back to my life.

I understand what you are saying about no problem with the knee and then it feels like it explodes.  My surgeon says to sit back and be pampered, but I am not sure where that home is.  I will let you know when I find it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I worked at an orthopedic surgeons office & don't understand why you weren't told to keep weight off your knee. Head to a medical supply company to rent a pair of crutches or a walker, make sure you try both to see what will work best....you don't want to add a fall to your knee problem, you could easily break your arm catching yourself or worst as you hit the ground. Take care & keep your weight off that knee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just walked into the kitchen to get something. I walked ok and no pain at all when I walk but it’s all very sore when I go to sit or stand. It almost feels muscular like a muscle tore or something. 

I can’t do cortisone injections at all. Had a pretty severe reaction to one several years ago and the knee doctor told me that I probably shouldn’t ever try those again. 

I also have issues with anti-inflammatories, including Advil. 

But I DO take something for migraines that is loaded with aspirin. The ortho doctor I saw told me he was fine with me using that because the aspirin  would help. So I’ll going to take that in a little while. 

When my husband wakes up, and before I take my pill, I think we’ll go up to Walgreens or CVS, both close, and see what they have for walkers. I think we have a pair of crutches. I’ve never been good at using them, but I think we have them and there’s a first time for everything. 

As for going to my sister’s tomorrow, I plan to go if I have to crawl on my hands and knees. Hey, I can always stay in the car and they can bring me food and I can wave at them through the windshield every so often, LOL. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?