Honored Contributor

Re: My knee- I could just cry

@gidgetgh,

I am sorry to read of your pain and discomfort with this new twist to your knee issue.  I also feel the depth of your disappointment with this situation more than you know.   

This time last year I had just learned my right knee had advanced to the point of replacement; I knew I wanted to have surgery quickly, and not prolong my pain.   I set my surgery for right after Easter, and spent 3 months cleaning my house, stocking food, and getting ready for recovery.   

Six days before surgery, I was notified of an infection in my body, which then cancelled the procedure.  I felt a broad range of emotions after that phone call; I had a plan, and this news was just not acceptable!  Before that day ended, my husband seriously injured his knee, and my focus shifted.   It took weeks for the VA to complete testing for a diagnosis, and get him an ortho appt.   As the days and months passed, it became very clear to me why I was not meant to have surgery in April.  By September he was stable enough for me to pursue surgery again; everything fell firmly into place for me, and my surgery was done October 18th.   

I feel there is a reason why you suddenly have this complication to slow you down right now.   Take it easy, rest, and try to accept that sometimes life just doesn’t go by our plan.  

Honored Contributor

So glad to read that you were able to get out to go shopping with your sister today.  Time to rest up and be comfortable tonight.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@gidgetgh,

I am sorry to read of your pain and discomfort with this new twist to your knee issue.  I also feel the depth of your disappointment with this situation more than you know.   

This time last year I had just learned my right knee had advanced to the point of replacement; I knew I wanted to have surgery quickly, and not prolong my pain.   I set my surgery for right after Easter, and spent 3 months cleaning my house, stocking food, and getting ready for recovery.   

Six days before surgery, I was notified of an infection in my body, which then cancelled the procedure.  I felt a broad range of emotions after that phone call; I had a plan, and this news was just not acceptable!  Before that day ended, my husband seriously injured his knee, and my focus shifted.   It took weeks for the VA to complete testing for a diagnosis, and get him an ortho appt.   As the days and months passed, it became very clear to me why I was not meant to have surgery in April.  By September he was stable enough for me to pursue surgery again; everything fell firmly into place for me, and my surgery was done October 18th.   

I feel there is a reason why you suddenly have this complication to slow you down right now.   Take it easy, rest, and try to accept that sometimes life just doesn’t go by our plan.  

@RedTop- you had your surgery on my birthday!  I hope you’re healing well. 

I’ll get through this. I’m a very strong person.  I haven’t had any stability issues since Wednesday thankfully. That was frightening. I walk slowly and a little cautiously and with a little bit of a limp now. I remind myself of Amos McCoy from the old tv show The Real McCoys, LOL. 

I’m still planning on calling the doctor Monday morning, after I get home from yet two other doctor appointments to tell them what happened and see if anyone has cancelled so I can move my appointment up. 

My left knee is really starting to act up now because it’s having to do more of the work. I’m trying not to think about that too much. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@viva923,

I am nearly 6 weeks post-op from right knee replacement; my left knee was done 5 years ago.   Had I listened to, and hung onto the horror stories I heard about others experiences with this surgery, I would be in a wheelchair today.   

Nearly 20 years ago, a cousin died less than 10 days after double knee replacement; he was still in a rehab facility, and threw a clot to the lung.   Working in a hospital environment for 27 years, I also heard horror stories about post-op infections and other problems that contributed to me dealing with my left knee for 13 years before realizing how I was declining, and where I was headed.   

At 57 years old, I couldn’t bear to think I would spend my life in a wheelchair because of my fears in having a surgical procedure that would get me on my feet and walking pain free.   I made my surgical experiences good ones because I learned the facts about the procedure, knew what my surgeon was going to do, knew what to expect from nursing care in the hospital, and knew what was expected of me afterwards.   With both procedures, I was totally determined to let nothing get in the way of a successful outcome, and my determination was obvious to everyone who helped me along the way.  I do my best to encourage others who need this surgery, but have reservations.  

As your condition progresses, I sincerely hope your physician will provide what support you need to make a decision that can substantially improve your mobility.  Best wishes to you.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You need to be able to vent your frustration! This is a good place for that. Been there with torn meniscus. I had never in my life experienced any injury, so it was a shock and a learning experience. I babied it and am still careful, but it took two years to heal with no surgery. What turned the corner for me was the surgeon giving me a cortisone shot. I had resisted it, but it not only eased the pain but allowed healing to begin. After those two years of taking one step at a time and, on some days, not being able to walk at all, I can literally run up and down the stairs normally. While you are figuring out your next steps (pun intended), look into appropriate tools to help you and to avoid further damage. A walker? Cane? I am thinking of you as you go through this difficult time. xo

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh I also had a torn meniscus and was scheduled for surgery but my family doctor recommended physical therapy.  I did 6 sessions of physical therapy and feel much better.  I am following up with a personal trainer since physical therapy "cut me lose".  They show you how to use and build up muscles to help with the load.  He taught me to go up the stairs like I was ice skating.  It's amazing how much better I am doing.  I took a 3 mile walk today.  Now I do know I could still have to have surgery at some point but for now I am careful and do all my exercises and go to the personal trainer.  I hope al goes well for you whatever you choose to do, not having your legs working properly is a real problem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@m0rgan wrote:

@gidgetgh I also had a torn meniscus and was scheduled for surgery but my family doctor recommended physical therapy.  I did 6 sessions of physical therapy and feel much better.  I am following up with a personal trainer since physical therapy "cut me lose".  They show you how to use and build up muscles to help with the load.  He taught me to go up the stairs like I was ice skating.  It's amazing how much better I am doing.  I took a 3 mile walk today.  Now I do know I could still have to have surgery at some point but for now I am careful and do all my exercises and go to the personal trainer.  I hope al goes well for you whatever you choose to do, not having your legs working properly is a real problem.

@m0rgan- thanks. At this point, I’d just like this endless weekend to finally be over so I can call the doctor to see if they’ve had any cancellations so that I don’t have to wait another 11 days to see someone and then wait who knows how long after that. 

Prior to this, I was walking 2 miles every morning and usually hit my 3.5 mile a day Fitbit goal every day. 

My knee really doesn’t feel very stable at all at this point. I walk slowly and gingerly (on purpose) just trying to baby it as much as I can, but I will say that the pain and lack of stability from whatever happened to it Wednesday afternoon hasn’t happened again and I’m thankful for that. 

I have no hesitations at all about the surgery. I’d do it this afternoon on the kitchen table if I could. My other knee now has developed problems. I strongly suspect torn meniscus there also.  Where is Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman when you need her?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@m0rgan wrote:

@m0rgan- thanks. At this point, I’d just like this endless weekend to finally be over so I can call the doctor to see if they’ve had any cancellations so that I don’t have to wait another 11 days to see someone and then wait who knows how long after that. 

Prior to this, I was walking 2 miles every morning and usually hit my 3.5 mile a day Fitbit goal every day. 

My knee really doesn’t feel very stable at all at this point. I walk slowly and gingerly (on purpose) just trying to baby it as much as I can, but I will say that the pain and lack of stability from whatever happened to it Wednesday afternoon hasn’t happened again and I’m thankful for that. 

I have no hesitations at all about the surgery. I’d do it this afternoon on the kitchen table if I could. My other knee now has developed problems. I strongly suspect torn meniscus there also.  Where is Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman when you need her?

@gidgetgh, I'm an avid exercise walker as well. When I was laid up for weeks after several of my foot surgeries, I would get on my knee-walker and navigate the upstairs of our house over and over and over -- anything to keep moving.

It's amazing, though, how we manage to adjust to our circumstances. I, too, wish you could hop on your kitchen table and be done with all this, but can you just imagine the clean-up involved.? :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

gidgetgh...I just ran across your thread, you have the right to vent all you want to.  And if you find a need to cry by all means cry.  I know what pain feels like since I live with it every single day.  God Bless, I hope you can get this taken care of ASAP.  Hang in there, and don't apologize or ask for forgiveness, not necessary, we all care.  ((((hugs)))  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam