Honored Contributor

Re: My knee- I could just cry

@gidgetgh  I feel for you. Last year I had a stretched miniscus but kept working out, etc.  I was going up the steps when like you i felt a pain in my knee so severe then I went down.  I was seeing a sport injury chiropractor  who was trying to get me an appt with an ortho doctor and an MRI at the time.  I went to the ER and they prescribed Naproxen and within 3 days the pain was gone.  I then got in to see the ortho doctor right away and eventually had surgery but until then my knee was pain free and stable.   Hang in there and cry if you want - a few good cries helped me cope at the time.  

Respected Contributor

I have torn the meniscus in both my knees several times.. besides ice and elevation, my orthopedic guy told me to use crutches because you can better utilize them as a weight bearing device. Walkers are great for balance or after a tar,when you need to put weight on your knee. But it is pretty difficult to use if you only want minimal weight on the injured joint.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Things like this aren't easy to deal with, even when you have the perspective that others have so much more to deal with. 

I have knee issues, and one time my knee went out when I was outside in the backyard, home alone. It took me 45 minutes to figure out how to get back in the house, in great pain. I was two days mostly in bed, and was at a loss as to how I was going to cope with daily rituals (bathroom, shower, dressing, tending the animals) if it didn't get better. 

Not being able to take care of ourselves, let alone all the other people and things that rely on us being up and moving and doing, is frightening and frustrating.

And it does seem that the process to have surgery for things like this can take so long to progress, relative to the need to be back on our feet. 

A good cry sometimes help, It kind of relieves the stress and can bolster the spirit, so don't hesitate. 

I suppose at this point, you can only take one thing and day at a time. Try to set yourself up to be comfortable for the weekend and try to get into the office next week. 

Sorry this is happening, especially over a long weekend (isn't that the way it happens, never on a Tuesday at noon, when the whole world is available to help!). 

Feel free to come here and vent anytime. That is pretty much what we do here!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

those torn meniscus can be debilatating. Have had same thing and same knee has gone sour again locked up quite a bit today, really makes you yelp in pain. Some nights sleeping is painful.  Now have bone spurs on both knees. My family doc said i should have knees replaced but am leary because of all the horror stories i have been told by many people and have known some who have had knees done and passed away within days of surg.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You are in a considerable amount of pain, I feel for you.  You don't know what damage you might have done to an already injured knee.  Please go to the ER now!!!   If the surgeon's office was open, that is the advice they would have given you.  The ER will image the knee and do an assessment and prescribe something for the pain.  I have knee issues myself, I also work in healthcare and a post like this just bewilders me.  I don't know why a person in such pain would just sit there and do absolutely nothing.  I won't belabor the point, I just hope you take my advice.

An ER isn't going to be much help with this, except to prescribe some pain meds. 

OP already has had a complete work up done on this knee, and anything they might do at the ER will simply be repeating what has already been done. 

If this was an out of nowhere injury, I'd say try the ER, but it isn't.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You are in a considerable amount of pain, I feel for you.  You don't know what damage you might have done to an already injured knee.  Please go to the ER now!!!   If the surgeon's office was open, that is the advice they would have given you.  The ER will image the knee and do an assessment and prescribe something for the pain.  I have knee issues myself, I also work in healthcare and a post like this just bewilders me.  I don't know why a person in such pain would just sit there and do absolutely nothing.  I won't belabor the point, I just hope you take my advice.

@chrystaltree- thanks for posting. 

I found the crutches, so I have them ready to go if I need them. I’m in no pain at all when I walk or when I’m sitting and have my legs elevated in the recliner. It’s when I go through the motion to stand or motion to sit that I get the pain. 

I just took my pain pill. Believe me, I’m no warrior. If it gets worse I’ll call 911 and go to the ER if we can’t get there ourselves. I hardly think they’d spring into action though and do meniscus surgery on the spot.  They’ll send me home with yet more pain killers and tell me to call my doctor on Monday, which I plan to do anyway since they’d already closed today. I don’t think an on call doctor would help me because I’m still in “new patient and has made an appt and faxed in her paperwork but hasn’t actually seen us yet status”. But if it gets to that point, I’d certainly try calling. 

And....it just happened a little bit before I posted. The doctor is closed. Other than go to the ER, there’s really not much I can do. But if it gets that bad, off I’ll go and I’ll take a selfie of my knee in the ER and post it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I just walked into the kitchen to get something. I walked ok and no pain at all when I walk but it’s all very sore when I go to sit or stand. It almost feels muscular like a muscle tore or something. 

I can’t do cortisone injections at all. Had a pretty severe reaction to one several years ago and the knee doctor told me that I probably shouldn’t ever try those again. 

I also have issues with anti-inflammatories, including Advil. 

But I DO take something for migraines that is loaded with aspirin. The ortho doctor I saw told me he was fine with me using that because the aspirin  would help. So I’ll going to take that in a little while. 

When my husband wakes up, and before I take my pill, I think we’ll go up to Walgreens or CVS, both close, and see what they have for walkers. I think we have a pair of crutches. I’ve never been good at using them, but I think we have them and there’s a first time for everything. 

As for going to my sister’s tomorrow, I plan to go if I have to crawl on my hands and knees. Hey, I can always stay in the car and they can bring me food and I can wave at them through the windshield every so often, LOL. 

Good to hear that it's not nearly as painful as you indicted in your original message.   I've never in 30 years heard of doctor telling a person with a knee injury like yours to take aspirin for pain control.  I doubt that would happen because it wouldn't work.  You can't take ibuprofen, so an ortho doc would tell you to take Tylenonl for pain control.  I'm scheduled for a knee replacement, the pain is pretty bad and I take 2 500mg Tylenol's for pain control.  I know, for me, dragging myself out of myself to someone elses house for a turkey dinner.....not an option.    

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree- thanks for posting. 

I found the crutches, so I have them ready to go if I need them. I’m in no pain at all when I walk or when I’m sitting and have my legs elevated in the recliner. It’s when I go through the motion to stand or motion to sit that I get the pain. 

I just took my pain pill. Believe me, I’m no warrior. If it gets worse I’ll call 911 and go to the ER if we can’t get there ourselves. I hardly think they’d spring into action though and do meniscus surgery on the spot.  They’ll send me home with yet more pain killers and tell me to call my doctor on Monday, which I plan to do anyway since they’d already closed today. I don’t think an on call doctor would help me because I’m still in “new patient and has made an appt and faxed in her paperwork but hasn’t actually seen us yet status”. But if it gets to that point, I’d certainly try calling. 

And....it just happened a little bit before I posted. The doctor is closed. Other than go to the ER, there’s really not much I can do. But if it gets that bad, off I’ll go and I’ll take a selfie of my knee in the ER and post it. 

LOL   Yeah, sure.   But honestly, that is what your original post was about.....extreme pain..lol    Which is why I said go to the ER so they can give you something for the pain until you can get to your orthopod next week.   They do that all the time, it's standard.   But it's good to hear that the pain that brought you to tears suddenly went away.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh So sorry you’re in pain! Sure wish I could help you. Hang in there! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. 

Respected Contributor

I wonder if you could wrap it tight to hold it and then it would help support it when you stand up. It is hard with a knee problem for sure. Hope it feels better soon and you get it taken care of.