Esteemed Contributor

My kitten story (for the pet lover in all of us)

It is well known that I love all animals but am more of a dog person. Well we cannot get a dog because DH is deathly allergic. So for years I have missed having a dog.

So we have cats (which DH is also allergic to, but the allergy shots work for the cats unlike for the dogs). DH has rescued many a cat before and since I met him. (It is something I always loved about my husband, his kindness towards animals).

Presently we have 2 older cats and a 6 month old kitten that was rescued during the big snow storm here in PA in January. (His mother abandoned him, and we took him in from a friend who found him and couldn't keep him). He was so little he had to be bottle fed at first and of couse we had to train him to go in the litter box.. (I did mention him before on here).

My little buddy (not his real name) is a tuxedo cat and has grown into the cutest kitty you ever saw. (Well I think so anyway lol).

(Understand, I love our other 2 cats also but they tend to go to my husband more and sit with him. But the kitten is definitely my cat and hangs out with me :-)

Last week he was sneezing and playing with his ear and laying around. I was so worried I stayed up longer than I usually do to watch over him. (We took him to the vet and he has an ear infection and is just finishing his antibiotics).

Next week our kitten (my little buddy), gets neutered. Well I find myself already worrying because he is getting dropped off the night before (because they do it at 7 AM), and staying until the day after so he will be there 2 nights.

I know cats and dogs get spayed and neutered every day but I keep thinking he will think I deserted him at the vet and he will miss his big tree house. I even asked my husband does he think I could stay there with the kitten (lol). DH looked at me like ugh noooo. I was joking of course I know I cant say with him.

Anyway the kitten is sitting with me now as I type. He waits for me to get up out of bed. he follows me around. He even follows me when I sweep or clean up like he is helping me and he chases the broom.

He hardly meows for some reason but when I say do you want your treat at night he lets out 2 meows. I also exercise him by using the red dot that he chases and we have a slew of balls and other toys he plays with.

I even taught him how to go up on each level of the big cat tree house one level at time by training him with a cat toy that's like a stick with a little stuffed bird hanging from it.I also taught him how to stay still for 2  seconds, using that toy so I can take his picture to send to my daughter. Well he is a smart kitty too.

Anyway the moral of the story is; I am surprising myself how I have taken to this kitten like no other. I even joke and say hes the next best to thing to a dog...lol..He is my little pal. 

Lastly, and shocking to me, he has helped me in that my chronic pain hasn't been as bad since I have him around to keep me busy.

So anyway, I hope hes OK for his surgery and I hope he knows I didn't desert him when we drop him off.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: My kitten story (for the pet lover in all of us)

[ Edited ]

I love your story, @Shorty2U!

They say animals don't/can't keep track of time in the same way as humans, so I don't think he'll be that aware it's 2-1/2 days, like we would be. And some of that time he'll be asleep or pretty groggy with pain meds. He might (or might not) be a little miffed at you when he comes home, for a day, but that'll be about it. Don't worry 😻

My niece's husband had no use for her first kitty, who lived to be almost 22. There was no connection there. But second kitty? She has caught kitty sleeping on him while he's napping, and caught him talking to her. She loves her daddy, and the feeling's pretty mutual.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I enjoyed your story about your cats.  Would you be able to get one of the dogs breed that are supposed to be hypoallergenic so your husband's allergies won't be bad?  I have a dog and a cat and love them to pieces.  Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U, I'm sure she already knows you love her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U...Your story is so precious and it is very obvious the loving bond that you and your "buddy" share with each other...They are definitely blessings in our lives and the fact that your chronic pain has lessened is no surprise, as they have proven to be very therapeautic blessings also!

Not to worry....Your "buddy" will be fine when he goes to be neutered next week...He will definitely miss you and his home, but it is for a very short time only and he will be on meds to keep him relaxed and pain free...I can easily picture you eagerly rushing to the Vet's office to bring him back home...I understand fully your loving concern...It is all part of that very special love and bond that we all share with our pets and so worth it! Heart

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U, when my cats need to stay at the vet for an extended period, I go visit at least twice a day. The vet is very happy to let me do so, and encourages it, in fact.  It eases my mind to see that my pet is ok, and sick pet is happy to see me. Vet says that visits from owner calms them and reassures them that they haven't been abandoned. 

Perhaps you will want to discuss this with your vet.  Since the surgery is at 7 am, perhaps you could visit mid to late afternoon.  Or, maybe because your buddy will come home the following day, maybe the vet will say a visit isn'the necessary.  I don't know.  But it's something to think about.

It's wonderful you have a strong bond with your buddy.  Lots of good wishes to you and buddy.

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U ... I always worried also when one of my pets had to be away from me for an overnight. I think it is a good experience for them ultimately, because they will learn when you come back that you have not abandoned them. I usually put a sock that I had worn around the house that day in the kennel with them and asked the vet to put it in their kennel so that my scent will be on it. Actually, a vet taught me that.

I'm sure that all will go well for your kitty. It sounds like you have one special little kitty there!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I understand your worry. We had our two rescue kittens spayed and neutered earlier this year. I was so nervous, but they were fine. And I'm sure your little guy will be too. Thanks for taking him in and giving him a forever home. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Several years ago when I took my then kittens in to be fixed I was the same as you. I really didn't want to leave them overnight at the vet. When my vet told me that they all leave at night and that no one will even be there to watch over my kitties, I took action! I insisted on bringing them home! At least I was there to keep an eye on them! My vet let me have them and everything turned out fine. So mine never were hospitalized. I brought them in at 8am that morning and had them back home with me at 5pm. Good luck.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

Hey Shorty,

Isn't it amazing how these precious critters can just sneak into our life and capture a piece of our heart? Buddy will be sedated most likely and won't miss you that much. He or she may, however, give you "attitude" when you get him home. LOL

dee