Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippiewrote:

It does not need to be anyone where you use your CC's or Debit Cards.  There are people that have computers that run number sequences contantly and if by chance they hit one at the same time as your use your cc, its bingo!  This happened to me twice.

I have a card that, for some reason or other, just realy don't use.  In fact, I never even called it in when I got a new card.  So, it was very confusing when there were small charges from Brazil on the card!  I was contacted by the credit card company and I was sure that they were hacked, but this is what they tell me happens.  The criminals just get lucky.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18wrote:

It sounds like he should have a chat with the place where he booked his golf.  Great that the credit card company caught it.

Thats what came to my mind as well.

Honored Contributor

This happened to me a long time ago.  One Christmas I was shopping at Rich's (closed now) and had to use my visa credit card because I was out of checks in my checkbook.  I never used it, just for emergency.  Then visa called me about suspicious transactions.  Three, threehundred dollar purchases at Victorias Secret.  I told the lady that I couldn't wear the sizes they sell, wish I could.  Visa charged Victorias Secret back with those charges and gave me a new card.  The cashier in Rich's had to have stollen my card number and gave it to friends.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think your identity was stolen, rather your credit card was hacked.

Esteemed Contributor

I also had a bad situation with my credit card around 7 years ago.

I opened my statement which I used to receive in the mail and to my surprise I had

a $4000 charge on which unknown person took a trip on my expense.

After numerous phone calls to c.c. company and much stress, I needed to write and

submit the whole situation. Then everything was eventually taken care of and all

was taken off charge after investigation.

Turns out as I was told, people sit at home and make up numbers that work.

Hope I never have to experience that again.

Honored Contributor

It is not identiy theft, your credit card was hacked, and it is very annoying, it happened to me in December and Feb this year

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

My parents had a desk clerk at a hotel in Denver steal a credit card number and use it.  Any clerk or cashier to whom you give your credit card or the number is a potential thief.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Luckily this has never happened to me.  I have an option enabled on my credit card that I receive an email as soon as any purchase for any amount is made on my card.  I love that feature.  A few seconds after I use my card I have an email message. 

Respected Contributor

Last week I got a call from QVC customer service. The lady said they felt like my cc had been compromised. She asked if I purchased a particular item on certain date. I said no and immediatedly contacted by cc company.

Makes you wonder how these things happen. I heard one time that in regards to cc hacking there are two kinds of people: one that has been hacked and knows it and the other that has been hacked and doesn't know it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforrealwrote:

@mollymaggiewrote:

My husband very rarely uses his credit card unlike his wife  He gave his info as usual to book golf time  Immediately someone started to use it to purchase items  The credit card co called him and asked him about one of the purchases and as they were talking two more came in  They cancelled his cars and sent him a new one overnight mail  I keep my card in a rfid wallet but how can we prevent this from happening  I thought I would tell you  Hopefully we have a credit card co that will pick up something new

@mollymaggie- How was your identity stolen?  Sounds like someone just stole your husband's credit card #.

@qbetzforrealwrote:

@mollymaggiewrote:

My husband very rarely uses his credit card unlike his wife  He gave his info as usual to book golf time  Immediately someone started to use it to purchase items  The credit card co called him and asked him about one of the purchases and as they were talking two more came in  They cancelled his cars and sent him a new one overnight mail  I keep my card in a rfid wallet but how can we prevent this from happening  I thought I would tell you  Hopefully we have a credit card co that will pick up something new

@mollymaggie- How was your identity stolen?  Sounds like someone just stole your husband's credit card #.

Exactly.  Having identity stolen is a very big deal that can take an extremely long time and a lot of aggravation to get resolved and to recover from.  That's very different than a credit card being used without authorization, and the credit card company solving the problem quickly.

I'm not saying this scenario wasn't annoying, but it's nowhere near as serious or devastating as actual identity theft.