Respected Contributor

Got a letter from Sears regarding me recently applying for a Sears credit card.  I did NOT apply for one.  I called them right away and they had my application on file.  I told them I didn't apply for one.  They told me it was done in Texas, I live in KS.

They had me call their CC fraud dept.  They were very nice.  They set me up with free fraud protection.  They also did a 3rd party call with transunion credit bureau.  Transunion said they will alert the other 2 credit bureaus and their will be a watch for 7 years.  They will contact me before giving out my credit report each time.

What a scare!

Transunion went back 12 months and their were no other suspicious inquiries other than the Sears one thank goodness.  They caught it early.

They had my name and middle initial, birthday, social security number and correct address.  Wow!

I always think it happens to others, not ME!

Trusted Contributor

Wow, that is scary!  I'm glad they caught it early for you.  It's unfortunate there are people out there that feel it necessary to steal other's identities.  Guess we all have to be on our guard...

Super Contributor
Oh that's horrible! I would be freaking out!
Honored Contributor

Sorry this happened to you.  About two years ago the same thing happened to us where someone from CA "stole" our credit card number (they think it was a random steal) and used it to purchase items all across the country.  A company we were not familiar with called us and asked if we had placed an order with them.  We did not, but someone did and had it billed to our CC number (we live in PA) and shipped to CA.  We worked with the CC fraud division and after a few months of watching our bills very closely resolved the situation to our satisfaction. 

Work closely with the fraud division and they will resolve your issue too.  Good luck. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Wow.  That's terrible.

with all these data breaches, it's bound to happen nowadays.

Respected Contributor

The good news is that whatever system Sears has in place to detect fraud works.  Like it or not; all of our identifying information is out there and it's pretty easy for people to find.  Your experience is proof of that.  I have relatives in law enforcement and they say that medical offices are hotbeds for identify theft because they have all of the information you listed.  It's all in one place and easily accessible.  Often the office staff isn't misusing the information themselves; they sell the information to others. 

Respected Contributor

Good thing it was caught.

I have a freeze on my credit reports. No one can take out a new credit card or request a credit history for purposes of taking out credit or a loan without me unfreezing it. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Trusted Contributor

It has become an epidemic!

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Esteemed Contributor

I suspect Sears for an intrusion of sort with my identity.  All clues point to them - well, an employee or two of theirs. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

OP,

Thanks for warning us!

This is why I NEVER use DEBIT, but use a charge card (my bank said that they will only cover  fraud from my credit card, not debit ... unless the culprit is caught ... that's comforting~~!